Canada, England or Undecided.

Where do you think Martin Gay caught his 50lb carp from?

• Canada

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • England

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 10 37.0%

• Total voters

cg74

Reaction score
I'm guessing you've probably read some if not all of the never ending saga that is the origin of Martin Gay's 48lb (or should that be 50lb+) common carp.

I'd like a quick poll to gauge peoples opinion:
Do you think it was caught in Canada, England or are you undecided?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having read literally hundreds of pages on this topic over the years I think you'd have to add another choice in the poll . . . . . that being, total indifference.

The whole matter is so open to conjecture, and to be honest as no record was ever claimed, then who really worries about the veracity of the claim?

No harm was done, no one died or lost a fortune, did they?

If it was a wind up then only one person could possibly answer, and sadly, he is no longer with us.

That others chose to pour scorn on the event and/or the location of said event is, well to me at least, rather sad.

My old grandmother had a lovely saying that I often think of when reading some of the threads on here:

"If you have nothing nice to say then maybe best to say nothing at all"

It is not possible to slander the deceased, but let's remember that there are surviving loved ones and relatives, and they surely deserve to be left in whatever peace they might manage . . . . . . Don't they?

thecrow

Reaction score
I voted undecided before I realised it wasn't a poll on who members thought would go furthest out of Canada and England in the rugby world cup :D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Having read literally hundreds of pages on this topic over the years I think you'd have to add another choice in the poll . . . . . that being, total indifference.

The whole matter is so open to conjecture, and to be honest as no record was ever claimed, then who really worries about the veracity of the claim?

No harm was done, no one died or lost a fortune, did they?

If it was a wind up then only one person could possibly answer, and sadly, he is no longer with us.

That others chose to pour scorn on the event and/or the location of said event is, well to me at least, rather sad.

My old grandmother had a lovely saying that I often think of when reading some of the threads on here:

"If you have nothing nice to say then maybe best to say nothing at all"

It is not possible to slander the deceased, but let's remember that there are surviving loved ones and relatives, and they surely deserve to be left in whatever peace they might manage . . . . . . Don't they?

Some while back I asked Cliff to PM me if he did not wish me to discuss this or probe further as I was uncomfortable about it and I appreciated he was a deceased close friend. I did not get a reply so I assumed he was OK with it. Eddie recently telephoned Martins wife and I assume if she had expressed any distress at this being discussed again she would have told him and he would have told Cliff, at which I am sure they would have responded appropriately. Other members of the family I wouldn't know but, I accept Cliff Hatton and Eddie Burnham as the representatives of Martin's family by default in this and take my lead from them.
It does not mean its a license to say as I wish and on the whole I am not comfortable about probing the integrity of their friend but they can stop it any time they wish or at the request of his family. I think all of us would respect that if it was the case.

Last edited:

ciprinus

Reaction score
quite frankly my dear, i dont give a damn!!!

1) nobody tellin

2) your never gonna know

3) is it really a game changer

4) the bloke is now deceased

5) took it to the grave with him

6) he certainly aint sayin

7) does it really matter.

if the story had been told correctly in the first place you could be sure of one thing and one thing only, THAT CARP WOULD HAVE BEEN DEAD IN NO TIME.
hounded by idiots who only think of improving their PB or getting their name in the mags.
i have no time for the trophy hunters, nor no hero's in the carping world.

sooo, in summing up i would say 'undecided' i think :D:D

cg74

Reaction score
lovely story, the first English fifty.

Wasn't the "first English fifty" caught by Chris Yates in 1980?

I voted 'Undecided' - as despite all Cliff and Eddies so called evidence, I've yet to read anything convincing.

Last edited:

tonybull

Reaction score
I think it was caught in Canada, because I know of instances where the public who have read magazines or watched angling on TV have been showed/told one thing and it was far from the truth.

So don't see why I should believe this Carp was caught from an English lake for the reason above.