Pole Fishing

Reaction score
Hi All.

Just lately I have been finding that the vast majority of fish I have been catching have been foul hooked, I have varied the depths at which I am fishing from 4-6" over-depth to 4-6" under-depth, but I am still foul hooking fish and cannot understand why this is still happening. The lake I fish isreally heavily stocked with carp (possibly too many), I have had a couple of foul hookers snap my number 14-16 elastic recently, which I could understand if it was damaged but I have only just re-elasticated the top kits with new elastic (Middy Hi-Viz Red 14-16), is there anything else that I can try to cut down the number of foul hooked fish I'm getting or is it par for the course when Pole fishing.

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Albert, try feeding a lot less. You have too many fish in your swim /forum/smilies/surprised_smiley.gif, I know, that doesn't happen often lol. (not to me anyway /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif)

When you are altering your depth, keep coming up til you stop getting 'bites', this can be as shallow as 6 inches below the surface. Once you find the depth that the fish are actually feeding, just drip the feed in regularly to keep the fish interested but not that much that they are just ploughing thruogh your swim. Hope that helps mate

As for the elastic, take it out and try to clean inside your top 2, if you hold it up to the light and look down it you will probably see loads of grit and muck, try flushing it out with the hosepipe. Also make sure you lubricate your elastic to stop it stick to the walls of the pole thus using the whole lenght of the elastic and not just the top foot or so /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
Where is this heavily stocked lake with too many fish /forum/smilies/secret_smiley.gif /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Hi Neil,

Thank you for your input, I'll give it a try for this weekend and see how I go!

Neil Mcmurran

Reaction score
a long way from here then /forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

the method is right, just the feeding and finding the depth. Good luck /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

let us know how you get on