''How important a role''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I have been pondering this last few weeks just how important is FM to you.

For my own part my introduction came at the hands of an old friend who ''badgered'' me constantly to become a member. And ''as he put it'', make a contribution.

Now, seven years on what are my impressions, well there is no doubt in my mind the site is not as vibrant as it once was. This, despite the undeniable fact that anglers as a whole are a bunch of old washerwomen. Harsh words perhaps, but recent weeks seem to indicate just how much controversy can bring out the witch hunters amongst us.

This is supposed to be the''gentle sport/the Brotherhood'' of angling, ''God help us''.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would have to agree with you Derek that the site is not as vibrant as it once was but that is due to many different factors . . . . . . . the main problem being the exodus about 3 or 4 years back when we lost the real spine (or is that the heart?) of the site with many old hands deserting for pastures new.

Nonetheless I would say that FM is still important to me, and to those I have met through the site over the years.

I have been a member here for over 13 years and in that time the site has changed a lot, but there is still a hard core of excellent anglers who continue to contribute.

There was a time when we had to limit the number of attendees at a Fish-In whereas these days we have a hard job attracting more than a dozen or so regulars even to an iconic venue.

Still, I think it shows how websites and fora have changed over the recent few years with the explosion of Facebook and similar "social media" sites

thecrow

Reaction score
Its through FM that I have had my angling flame relit, I had through ill health almost packed it in and the longer I didn't go the harder it became to motivate myself to go, an invite from a member to guest (legally this time :D) me onto one of his club waters where access is easier has kept me enjoying my fishing, so much so that I am hoping to join the same club. Thanks FM and binka for what you have done for me.

So FM has been very important to me, it will continue to be important as it keeps me in touch with other anglers, two of whom I like to consider as friends even though I have never met one of them.

john step

Reaction score
Agree with crow about regarding others on here as friends. Without wanting to appear as Johnynofriends of course.

Tackle shops were a sort of meeting place in the past but certainly in my neck of the woods they are thin on the ground and this forum opens up to a wide spectrum of anglers.

This last point may not be so important to those match anglers who seem gregarious by nature but to solo anglers like me there is a smaller circle of acquaintances. Especially so when I can fish all day and not see another angler.

That way I can keep up with fresh ideas and there has certainly been things that have cropped up that have made me think " Now why didnt I think of that?"

The only thing that has bothered me a bit is that if you are always on here because you enjoy it do others think" Oh no not him again".
That has stopped me poking my nose in a couple of times.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Every forum I've ever used (fishing, shooting, football and music) is a pale shadow of what it was x years ago. The format has had its heyday and is on the decline, regardless of the subject matter.

However, a good contentious thread has always generated more interest than anything else on a forum. It's always been the same. Add a good flame war, an ongoing fued, someone having a bit of a meltdown, a society or two or the odd "name" and watch the hits roll in. I'd actually suggest that this place is positively tame compared to what it was only a few years back.

The thing that's really changing is the average age of the core forum user. Those comfortable with, and still sticking with, the format tend to be 40+. With so few newcomers less than that age, in both angling generally and forum use, the average age is only going to increase. As that happens forum use will decrease steadily.

B

binka

I wasn't around on FM in those more vibrant days so it's pretty much as it ever was for me.

FM is simply an enjoyable extension to my fishing when I'm not actually on the banks and a great resource, it's amazing how many google searches have led me back to old posts within FM when I'm seeking information.

It's also a good craic with some really good fellas on here, some of which I've now had the privilege and pleasure of meeting and fishing with in person and some of which I haven't but who I would still like to consider friends in as much as the online context goes.

Not withstanding the pressure that fora are now under from other social media along with individual cyclic events I guess it's down to us to make it what we would like it to be.

There does seem to have been a good influx of regular new posters over the last few months which is great and I think that FM on the whole is very a welcoming and encouraging place for new blood.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I find that FM (and other fora ) are an excellent alternative to the pub.... you get the crusty old bu&&er in the corner with the smelly dog.... the loud yoofs whose vocabulary is littered with anglo-saxon, the smart @rsed know it all, the lass with the tattoo's the long suffering 'Guv'nor', the G&T swilling posh types, and the hopeful 14 yr olds trying their best to look 18 so they can get a pint o' shandy:D:p:w:wh:eek:mg:

Seriously though.. I find fora to be vital, as many folk use them for a social aspect as much as an information resource.... You only have to look at the friendships forged within forums to see that...

They also provide a better source of angling reports as the "How did you get on " thread will show... each report is devoid of the hard sell and are a real world glimpse into how we, as unsponsored anglers, go about our sport... long may it continue...:cool:

wanderer

Reaction score
Well, oddly enough this is only my second forum, got banned from the other one because it was run by a clique that didn't appreciate a grumpy old boy, giving them lectures about how he saw the world, most of them were youngsters and my old school point of view was not their cup of tea. This one seems okay, but I must say you guys are a lot quiter than the last lot, but they were purely carp anglers, I am purely an angler and that's the way I am staying.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yep, its alright, its a good spell for me in the morning, a break from my computer work, always something of interest going on, I like the "how did you thread", like to see which species are being caught. Its busier than some other forums that I look at occasionally. Pick up some good tips. I "meet" a lot of characters, get to read about lots of different fishing styles from all parts of the country, I enjoy that even I do not comment much. I get to see a bit of Grayling trotting or Trent fishing or something of that ilk which I would never know about otherwise.
Just keep it going I say and let it take its course.
A few disagreements now and then can lead to a good debate and theirs always the moderators to keep it in hand and they pass by in the end and everyone moves on. I don't think there's anything to worry about. Be a bit dull if we were all the same.

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Sadly one of the best carping forums on the net is on the decline and TBH I wish I knew why...? it was a great place, well mannered and fun and the socials were a reet laugh...

I really think that Farcebook has more to do with fora disappearing than anything else and it's a shame because as I said earlier... lots of friendships are made on these pages...

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Its not what it was but I still enjoy the exchanges and would like to think I contribute positively....albeit my tongue is sometimes very much in cheek. My day would not be complete without finding out where The Binkster's been bagging up or what he's broken while the rest of us are at work...well, most of us anyway.

By far the best thing about FM is that it gives me something to do of an evening other than watching soaps and endless bloody micro celebrity [non] talent shows which Beloved Daughter and the formidable Mrs S seem so enamoured of. There are only so many zander rigs a bloke can tie !

bracket

Reaction score
I am a relatively new forum member and this is only the second forum I have subscribed to. I find FM friendly, interesting and the members helpful and knowledgeable. I look in most days and make the odd comment now and again. I like reading of other anglers experiences and points of view. Occasionally an old name or event from the past is discussed which I can make an imput to and that is gratifying . I feel I must take issue with Arthur2sheds comment that the forum is an excellent alternative to the Pub, I find it the perfect supliment, but each to his own. Pete

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I feel I must take issue with Arthur2sheds comment that the forum is an excellent alternative to the Pub, I find it the perfect supliment, but each to his own. Pete
The beers cheaper in here and there's no politics allowed.....:wh better than my local, with everyone moaning about immigrants and beer knocking on £4 a pint:eek:mg:

bracket

Reaction score
The beers cheaper in here and there's no politics allowed.....:wh better than my local, with everyone moaning about immigrants and beer knocking on £4 a pint:eek:mg:

In that case Arthur I can't fault you. Cheers (I'm in the Pub) Pete.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Perhaps the addition of a "members only" political section would liven things up a little, I'm sure Benny and I would enjoy it :eek:;).

I joined as someone who returned to fishing after an absence of over forty years, the PBs of some members are targets I am unlikely to achieve in what remains of my lifetime, their level of knowledge exceeds anything I am likely to amass BUT I have learnt far more by being a member on this forum than I could have without joining. Many members on here have given me excellent advice, both here and at "fish-ins". I have met, and fished with, many members and enjoyed some great social occasions (including the "Damn" Flask) which have all reinforced my opinion that, while the catching is enjoyable, the fishing is far more important. My real regret is that there are not more Fish-ins across the country as I'm sure the majority of the spats we have would be dramatically reduced if we actually conversed instead of just posting. I would add that my opinion of at least one member changed dramatically (for the better) merely by exchanging PMs. FM lost some very good anglers (and posters) just prior to my joining, it has gained some of equal merit since, perhaps the onus is on all of us to try to fish together on a far more regular basis.

Anyway, enough of this sh*t, where's the best river to spot Otters:)

The bad one

Reaction score
Anyway, enough of this sh*t, where's the best river to spot Otters:)

Ribble without a doubt. Had a mother and cub playing happily under my rods on Sunday night at 7 30. And I still caught fish not long after they moved on. What a joy and pleasure it was to have them so close to me. I also learned a little bit more about them that I didn't know, that being they snort quite loudly after they surface from a dive to clear their nostrils. Bloody obvious when you think of it, but you perhaps wouldn't realise it if you only ever see them across the river as all my previous sittings have been.