Alternative reel seats and rod handles

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've always shied away from bolognaise rods, mostly because I'm not convinced I've got anywhere really suitable to use one. As a side issue, because of the reel seats and lack of anything approaching a normal rod handle. However, I've ended up with one of the Shimano Dyna Balance rods from a few year back. I really wasn't sure initially, though the rod itself was obviously decent enough. The reel seat and handle have really grown on me with use.

I know that the Shimano rod pretty much bombed, and the even more outlandish Daiwa Airity seems to be disappearing without trace too. I know that some older anglers sometimes whipped on the Fuji plate type reel seats instead of suffering sliding rings. However, I suspect, like me until recently, many will never have used them.

Anyone got anything to say about alternative reel seats and rod handles? Anyone actually fished with that Airity?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Most of my rods have the full length cork handle and old fashioned "0" rings to seat a reel. In most cases I find these work fine - eg on Drennan Tench Float from mid 90s. They do not deteriorate with age and can fit any reel (and at any point along the handle for the more experimental).

I have a homemade rod to which i whipped into fixed position a new fangled metal Fuji reel seat back in the early 80s, and that works fine too - other than it being cold under the hand (not that i still use the rod).

But where i have had more mixed results is where you twist one end or the other of the reel seat (not sure what these are called). On my Garbolino Rocket Picker it is the furthest part of the handle that twists to lock a reel and that works great. On my H& W All Rounder it is the other way around and bits of grit or dirt threaten to make the locking mechanism unusable or difficult to twist with cold hands etc.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can't tolerate old style metal sliding ring fittings. Having them deform or having the handle material compress and wear leaving them loose is a complete PITA. I do still find the sliding graphite composite rings, that Daiwa used to fit, reasonably acceptable.

i have had more mixed results is where you twist one end or the other of the reel seat (not sure what these are called).

Screw type reel seat. I believe the original was by Fuji (or at least popularised by Fuji), but there are numerous variations on the theme now, branded, unbranded, generic and custom.

On my Garbolino Rocket Picker it is the furthest part of the handle that twists to lock a reel and that works great.

Screw down.

On my H& W All Rounder it is the other way around

Scew up.

Both utilise the same basic type of reel seat, simply fitted a different way round.

I really don't like the screw up configuration, especially on the type of rod that spends most of its time in hand. I hate feeling the screw thread under the heel of my hand.

bits of grit or dirt threaten to make the locking mechanism unusable or difficult to twist with cold hands etc.

Can't say I've ever had a problem like that. However, I have seen some poor quality versions where excessive wear has rendered them useless.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
In the 80's I had a pair of home made carp rods with the same fittings as the Dynabalance rod.... I didn't like them... I had one reel fitting fail whilst playing a double at South Weald park.... I lost the fish and I sold the rods immediately I got home.. I prefer screw fittings, but my vintage rods have the sliding ally reel bands and I find they loosen off after a while... Screw fittings for me ta:cool:

trotter2

Reaction score
I think the fitting is a form or remake of a fugi snaplock, I had one on a fibreglass milbro beachcasting rod back in the late 70s
Worked perfectly well but the locking device did wear eventually after years of heavy use, not complaining as it is very easy to replace just two whipping holding it on the rod top and bottom. Would I have another one definitely YES.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think the fitting is a form or remake of a fugi snaplock, I had one on a fibreglass milbro beachcasting rod back in the late 70s
Worked perfectly well but the locking device did wear eventually after years of heavy use, not complaining as it is very easy to replace just two whipping holding it on the rod top and bottom. Would I have another one definitely YES.:)

Don't know about the Daiwa, but the one fitted to the Shimano is the latest Fuji NS plate reel seat. Three whippings on this one, the middle covered over by a clip over cover. I can see how they'd wear on a carp or beach rod. I doubt it'll have such a hard life on a match rod.

trotter2

Reaction score
I agree think it would be fine on a match rod its not getting anywhere near as much stress. Had a look at the link looks practically the same job as a Fugi snaplock:thumbs:.

I like them much faster than a screw up thread, and defo better than those sliding bands Lol ;)