Welcome to skills school

bennygesserit

Reaction score
for those that fish commercials there is a very good series by Steve Ringer here
Last time I went fishing ( a while ago ) I did find that a lot of his stuff worked - freeling on a pole and slapping the pole ( oooer missus ) then again most things work on some commercials ( before someone else says it).

Quite good actually and very informative though he does have that modern habit of saying literally literally every 10 seconds.

---------- Post added at 07:54 ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 ----------

Also if you click the channels button you get various other fishing related you tube channels for instance Maver and coarsefishing ( tons here ) and here and the excellent Preston series

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Okay Benny, I know Steve and Phil, and Dad Geoff Well, they are all products of Northampton Nene Angling Club, I grew up with Geoff and the brothers I have encountered on various venues over the years. I will give you my formula for destroying commercials, my knickname is CM, a few of my colleagues from another forum have followed me here, I was banned for controversial views, old school beleifs but that doesn't mean to say I am not good at the modern match carp rubbish. CM, stands, for carpmachine, the ability to rip easy venues apart, boring to me but enjoyable. Take it in sections of the day and seasons of the year, the fish will always feed, they have to, overstocked, no natural food.
Early mornings summer , spring, autumn, start in the margins, with feeder, loads of groundbait, banded pellet, three hours or when the bites stop chase them out 50 yards or so, bites still possible in close with a waggler and lighter presentation, midday till 4 ish, middle of the pond, shock baits like raw liver or such, cat meat if it will stay on, then back in for the golden hours, waggler all the way with one rod on the feeder, method preferably, groundbait special mix appears on another thread, these tactics have netted me 55 carp , plus barbell , bream , and tencch during a 10 hour session, the weight 350 plus, beat the top match weight by 170 , pounds for the water, admittedly , two rods and a longer fishing time, featured in improve your coarse fishing article by Joe Wright, top match angler.

---------- Post added at 01:21 ---------- Previous post was at 00:37 ----------

I feel I need to qualify the above remarks, these are not the ravings of some bighead, they are the disgust at how easy carp angling has become on some venues, Erics Carp Championships on Drayton res, 118 pound of carp in 15 minutes, this is also on video, if you believe this is fishing, you are not of the same school of thought as me, I don't apologise for my own thoughts, basically anybody can do this. Pick yourself an estate lake or a pit and find out how good you really are, take the blanks and appreciate what you catch, then it wont bore the hell out of you, . I remember when carp were a rare capture, and these days that thrill has been watered down to nothing, very sad.

robtherake

Reaction score
I remember when carp were a rare capture, and these days that thrill has been watered down to nothing, very sad.

And so say all of us. Not many of my favourite places have survived the carp invasion and all are worse for it; it's had me raging for years. The only big, natural venue in my local area is the river (which I can rarely get to grips with because of family commitments,) so the loss of these lovely little waters to carp and a new, more boorish and disrespectful type of angler is more keenly felt. All my little oases have dried up :(

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Wanderer thanks ! Some great advice on fishing commercials.

The thread was meant to be a little bit more positive though and just to share a lot of angling related videos , not necessarily about commercials, in one easy place.

robtherake

Reaction score
Wanderer thanks ! Some great advice on fishing commercials.

The thread was meant to be a little bit more positive though and just to share a lot of angling related videos , not necessarily about commercials, in one easy place.

Sorry, man :eek: That particular issue pushes my buttons every time...:(

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I started coarse fishing after a longish break in 1999. I had never fished any commercials. With my mate we had a lot of pleasure going around fishing lots of different ones for 2 or 3 years. Discovering all these, what to me were gems at the time, was a lot of fun. And really interesting to, with all the different species on offer, some of them a bit wacky but still fascinating. They varied in quality, some were big complexes with multi lakes , some were a bit of a joke, a puddle that someone put a few fish in; still a new experience for us both nevertheless and could be a challenge in their own way.

These days I fish mainly wild waters, rivers, some out of the way marsh waters and some bits of unfished waters tucked away somewhere. Generally the fishing is hard, not many big fish and they need to to be learned to get the best out of them. This takes time but the fish are more rewarding just for the effort. And a wild natural fish in pristine condition is superior in my opinion to a stocked fish that has been caught many times.
However, a lot of blank days is not uncommon and every now and then I have a break and go to a commercial just for a change and some welcome bends in the rods. Not that commercials are always easy and I have had quite a few blank days but, the chance of catching some decent fish is greater than my usual waters which I can get tired of struggling with. I find a trip to a commercial can revitalize me.
So, I welcome commercials, they have their place, provided me with a lot of fun and variety for a few years and still fulfill a need.
I think for a pleasure angling who just wants to enjoy a day out they are/were a great idea and they probably do a lot to keep the industry going and lure people into fishing.

Last edited: