Braid and Braided ?

naxian62

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway.
Carp anglers talk about braided hooklengths and then there are braids for mainlines, Power Pro for example. Which I'm familiar with.
So, why does the hooklength have to be a different material ? Why can't you use regular braid as the hooklength ? In my mind a quality braid of say 25lb is quite supple, therefore allowing your bait to behave more naturally, which as I see it is a good thing. Or have I got this all wrong ?

Can one of guys explain please.

Cheers all.

thecrow

Reaction score
Because using braid meant to be used as main line for a hooklength is dangerous for the fish, as you know braid is vey thin for a given breaking strain and there is a big chance that it will cut the fish, hooklength braid is usually plastic coated. do a search on youtube there is plenty on there about hook length braids.

I have read about anglers using braid meant for mainline use as hook lengths but imo its irresponsible to both use it for that and also to publicise it.

naxian62

Reaction score
Not for the first time Sam, you have come up with the goods.
Thank you, all is much clearer now.

ciprinus

Reaction score
there are 'anglers' who use mainline braid for hooklinks citing that the swivel is the weakest link (no pun intended lol)
and the feathered one is correct in saying that most hook link braids are coated these days, they also consistently break at lower bs than an equivalent mainline.
i have seen the damage that an unprotected braid can do, it got tangled round a carps pec fin and sawed it almost off. the angler involved got a right hook and banned from the club. :mad:

law

Reaction score
Hook length braids are often flat too.

It makes me laugh when lakes ban braid thinking that it causes mouth damage.

wanderer

Reaction score
I love braid, fox, Gravitron PRO MAINLINE, down to Pallatrax hooklink, yep, it can do damage, but the only cuts I have ever experienced have come from nylon lines, and most of the scale damage I have seen comes on fisheries where mainline braid is banned, lets face it lads, the stuff at the business end, the hooklink , is the only one that will damage the mouth. Some manufacturers produce thick braids, plus 30 Middy springs to mind, but as most people tie their own , as crow suggested, Korda mouthtrap or something similar are coated, behind it use sleeving, no problem better result.