Carp on Deadbaits

steve2

Reaction score
On one of the water I fish we are now catching more carp than pike on deadbaits. Anyone else having the same problem? I have caught carp on both live and dead baits in the past but never in the number that we are now catching.

john step

Reaction score
I think the object's to avoid them, John :) BTW, been catching a few puddle pigs on whitebait secured by the head on a hair-rigged band. Really savage bites, too.

OH YEAH!!! DOH senior moment again!! :eek:mg:

wanderer

Reaction score
I thought I had posted this but it seems to have disappeared, this subject was discussed on the fishing podcast, male carp are predatory, they hammer the tadpoles and the fry, I have had limited success with smoked yellow haddock in fox armour mesh, so I am not surprised they are picking up deadbaits.

Lark

Reaction score
Some years ago, myself and our own 'Peter Crabtree' were fishing Clattercote reservoir to check it out in preparation for a Fishing Magic event.
Just before I packed up a lad a couple of swims down from me had a screaming take on a whole sardine and eventually landed a 21lb common. He was somewhat bemused!!

terry m

Reaction score
I witnessed a guy landing a 20lb + carp on an eel section intended for catfish some years ago. The bait was still in the carp's mouth.

Not sure that I would use it as a method to deliberately target carp though.

P

pointngo

At one place I fish it's a regular thing. I saw a bloke catch half a dozen on sardines a couple of years ago and another with an 18lb common on half mackerel. A chap down there a couple of weeks ago had several runs from carp.

A mate of mine has a bar on the Ebro in Spain with a couple of tanks in. One had 3 or 4 carp and a channel catfish, and the other had a small wels and a zander. We dropped 15 1" roach in the carp tank for the cat but every one of them were eaten by the carp within a few minutes. The last roach hid behind the corner air tube and drove one carp mad until it sussed how to get it out, by blowing and sucking. The catfish didn't get a look in.

You can catch carp on small softbaits as well as bream and other species. I've had them follow 8" swimbaits and I know one bloke who had the biggest carp in the local carp lake at 40lb+ on a 6" jerkbait, while all the bivvied up carp anglers sat there crying.. he only went down there to try out his new rod! lol

law

Reaction score
Ive had loads of carp on deads aimed for pike and even had them on minnows and gudgeon when targeting perch.
I think that carp are wising up to fishermans bait, so are seeking out alternatives.

rich4930

Reaction score
Well it's never happened to me, but I quite believe it. In fact quite a few course fish are more predatory than people think. Chub is a good example, that most people know about, but barbel are also quite partial to the odd fresh fish. They're caught all the time here by Zander anglers, fishing soft plastic jigs. Then there are Orfe and apparently even crucians will take a spinner.
Like I say though, I think all the fish I've ever caught have been on pretty standard baits. Maybe the only odd one was a little jack pike earlier this year on chickpea and fake sweetcorn. I guess it was the red plastic sweetcorn that was attention grabbing.

P

pointngo

Quite a long time ago now but conversely I've had 2x 20lb pike on boilies.. one a fishmeal/fruit and the other a birdfood/scopex. :eek:mg:

---------- Post added at 17:03 ---------- Previous post was at 16:58 ----------

When carp are fry feeding, which happens a lot more than people think imho, it's just a seasonal food source to be taken advantage of.. just like a daphnia outbreak or sudden burst of snails.

When it comes to deadbaits, a lot you see caught are on heavily/overstocked commercials so the fish can't pass up a meal, and the smell must draw them from a fair distance.