Pole floats

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hi guys
I hope not to sound too stupid but a have some pole floats with long wire stems which i would like to shorten.? Can anyone tell me how to do this please. Steve

kenpm

Reaction score
Just snip through them with any wire cutters or good pliers with cutters on them but the cheaper pliers may struggle.
You might want to trim the top too if its something like a nylon bristle to retain the balance of the float.

Lots of pole anglers do this amongst other things to customise pole floats.

steviebearuk

Reaction score
Hi peter
I dont like long stems on pole floats. If they are carbon or glass i just use a craft knife but never done it to a wire stem. I think its just a comfidence thing. haahha

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I'm sure you're far too sensible to do what I did - don't cut off too much in one go and completely wreck the action of the float!! A centimetre at a time is probably the better approach.....:D

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Agree with the above.. Wire stems are generally used when it's windy or there's a tow on the water or both. The weight of the wire helps keep the float stable.
The designers will test those stems to find the optimum length at which the float performs best.