Passive Fishing is Bad for your Health - Simon Smith

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
http://www.fishingmagic.com/fm-features/18137-passive-fishing-is-bad-for-the-health.html

Is this an excellent article or what?

thumbnail.php

ciprinus

Reaction score
Having seen that exact scenario from both sides i can say with authority that its spot on:thumbs::thumbs:

pf0x

Reaction score
Just wanted to say what good little article this is.

I go through the same dilemmas when fishing on towpaths or lakes with general public and footpaths. You either open up to everyone and come to terms with the fact that you're going to be spending all day talking to strangers or you just avoid eye contact, smile and nod politely and say very little in the hope that you'll have 5 minutes to yourself and your fishing!

It's very difficult. Some people are genuinely interested and it's nice to chat to other anglers or people who have a genuine interest but don't fish themselves.

I don't like to re-enforce the stereotypes that some people have of anglers being moody, gruff and unpleasant so it's nice to be nice and maybe help to change perceptions.

But some people are genuinely a right bloody pain!

I don't think members of the general public appreciate that you can end up having the same conversation with 10 different people!

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
spot on - it's worse when the passerby has a kid with him - then it's eyes everywhere in case the kid
falls in
picks up bait and eats it
stands on anything
get hooked when ac cast is made

theartist

Reaction score
I talk to all and sundry when i'm fishing if they say hello first, be rude not to. We've all been blanked when on the other side by someone 'keeping to themselves' and it's not nice.

It's easy to get rid of someone who is over chatty and that's to stop what your doing and just sit there, or pretend you got to make a phone call etc they soon go.

There is a line drawn when you're staking however and someone - usually another angler, comes right up and peers in right by the bank. Thats when the patience gets tested but in the end you just end up saying For f*** sake dad i'm fishing there and if you want a lift home tonight then you better go and................:D

wanderer

Reaction score
This is a little story from the Eighties when i lived with my parents and we moved to a different part of Northampton a couple of hundred yards from a local park lake, apologies to my friends from a different forum who have heard this before. I used to Fish for the Tench and Carp in the margins on a daily basis early mornings and after work, some old Irish lady, the local drunk , had an annoying habit of feeding the numerous wildfowl right over my shoulder on a daily basis, on one of our trecks back from the local hostelry we spotted a blow up sex doll in a skip. I recovered it and we weighted it down and tossed it in to my swim, on appearing armed with tons of bread the offending annebriate was shown this apparent body in eight feet of water. She went in to meltdown, crossing herself and disappearing in to the local estate, on seeing the appearance of the police sub aqua unit and the old girl towing the local priest along, i beat a hasty retreat, a large crowd had gathered and when the recovery was effected, you could hear the laughter miles away. Naturally , i kept my head down for a while, but later on went back fishing , never having any problems apart from a few passing Celtic curses.

bleak

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is a keen angler ;is stone deaf and has a grumpy face, he doesn't get any bother at all