Farnham AS

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Can anyone help me???

Im not the worst angler in the country bve really been struggling lately mainly fishing badshot lea/tarn/lodge and blanking!!! I even did a couple of days away and cant get a carp. Has anyone been fishing any of the waters mentioned and had any joy? You know what its like when your fishing well but getting nowhere.. you start to question your ability. Im hoping to do 24hrs in the next couple of weeks for either carp or pike and am looking for anytips. Cheers

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Andy Hi mate you and about 90% of FAS anglers have been have a bad year. Talking to the fishery manager he seems to think the the warm winter and cool summer have seem a masssive bllom in natural food and as such the fish just dont need to feed on anglers boilies. Quite a fewe of my mate very good anglers have all been really struggling. However if you want a carp or three try Warren pond next to Tarn its been really fishing well. Cast over to the luarels an fish small baits with high attach colours and flavours and small PVA bags.

Cushion the cast to try and stop the lead hitting the water to hard and burying into the silt

Tight Lines

Ian G

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thank you so much! I'll be honest i never thought of going to warren but i'd be happy to go anywhere knowing theres a bigger than average chance of a carp! Definetely going to try the pineapple pop ups and a few other stinky bits i've got in my bag!

Thanks again mate.

Andy W

Fred Blake

Reaction score
You're not alone Andy; I had three mid-doubles from Tarn at the beginning of the season, then nothing from the beginning of July to date. I'm still fishless at Badshot Lea after maybe half a dozen trips.The less said aboutMill Lane the better - still biteless aftertwo years!Lodge has always been regarded as the easiest carp water on Farnham's books, but until yesterday I'd only had six carpup to fifteen pounds in the last eight years. Then yesterday afternoon between 2pm and 5pm I had four up to fourteen pounds - all on single baits (double ten mil snowman).

It's not only Farnham waters that have been slow; other lakes I've known for years have been a struggle this year. I haven't fished Warren recently, but it certainly used to be consistent. Watch out though - it's very shallow and if you cast across to the far side anddon't use a backlead you'll struggle to keep the line out of the way of passing fish, fowl and floating leaves. Use a helicopter/silt rig and a pop-up balanced with putty or a split shot on the hair between bait and hook so it only just sinks; that way the bait should remain visible on top of the silt.

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Hi Fred. Thanks for that mate. I was toying with the idea of going to lodge but i think im goig to use the advice i've been given, get on warren and put a bend in the rod!

Thanks mate

Andy

Andy Wilcock

Reaction score
Hi Ian.

After speaking to the baliffs at lodge and warren i decided the best chance of a fish was lodge. Got there around lunchtime and set up around three down from the dam on the road side with only one other angler there. Within two hours i had about eight lines in the water either side of me and thought thats my chances gone. So i upped sticks and moved right into the far corner. After a couple of hours changed the boilie to a pellet approach and ended up going home in the morning having caught three double figure mirroprs with the biggest being about 16 1/2 lb! Quite a good result considering of the other eight anglers on my side of the bank only one caught!

Andy

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Nice fishing. I know the swim you started in and always avoid it as there are too many very close by on either side.In fact there are only about six swims I'll fish on anything other than a short sessionfor this reason, as you never know how many will turn up after you and it's a major pain having to move house halfway through the night. The middle section of the lake is worst, as everyone puts two rods out and each one will be at an angle to avoid both baits lying close together, so people in adjacent swims often end up casting to the same spot!

Were the fish in good condition? All the carp I've had there have been excellent, which is unusual on aheavily-fished 'runs' water.