Greater Manchester

paul haslam

Reaction score
Hello.
I have NEVER been fishing but my 11-year-old grandson is really keen to try it.
Obviously I don't want to buy loads of gear in case it turns out that he doesn't enjoy it so...PLEASE can anyone point me toward somewhere in or near Rochdale/Bury/Bolton/Manchester/Oldham where we can rent/borrow 2 rods & nets etc. and "have a go"?
Thanks In Advance
Paul

Reaction score
How about a 'lad and grandad' sesion with Andy Ormrod at Improve Your Fishing?

Andy is a qualified coach and will teach your grandson/you the skills to get going and he'll provide all the tackle bait etc.

He tends to use fisheries around Bolton and the Northwest.

My son had a day coaching session with him and caught roach, bream, tench, carp and in the autumn he had a piking session and caught and handled his first pike.

Andy is a top bloke and will tailor the session to your needs (he works with special needs kids from various institutions too).

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
When i started fishing about 8 years ago i bought a set for i think £20 from Argos which came with the rod, reel, and all the bits you will need to start.

This might be worth buying as it's nice and cheap

paul haslam

Reaction score
Mr Cholmondeley-Corker (PaSC) - Thanks for the suggestion but - £89 for half a day?:eek: You should know that people in the comedy business can't afford that kind of money!:confused:

hammer_jamie - £20 is a bit closer but what I'm looking for is a friendly place where I can rent the stuff and a friendly member of staff who'll say 'OK...this goes here and this goes there. Now put a worm on the sharp bit and this is how you chuck it in the water :eek:mg:

hammer_jamie

Reaction score
That's fair enough but I can't see it coming cheap, Simple float and few shots is easy enough to do why don't you use YouTube and learn yourself?

kenpm

Reaction score
Might be a bit further than you wanted to travel but its all free.
The Canal and River Trust are holding a "Water Week" 25th to 31st October at Bootle and Burscough on the Leeds and Liverpool canal including fishing tuition and tackle provided.
www.canalrivertrust.org.uk for details.

strathy

Reaction score
Contact Ramsbottom Angling Assosiation, they have a couple of qualified trainers for their junior section.