What do we think of this?

dann

Reaction score
As per the advances in tackle thread, I found the link I was talking about.

https://www.facebook.com/interestingengineering/videos/872665242803181/

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fishing-fancam#/

Whats the general opinion on this? As I mentioned on the other thread, I would be curious to see the bottom of the lake/river, see where my bait is, how it is sitting and I am often curious about how the fish behave when they see some bait lobbed in near them...

But

I am not ready to spend a day's fishing staring at my tablet or phone and it seems a bit of an unfair advantage to me.

So what is the general opinion from FM?

Just to be clear - I have no link to the product, it was something that popped up a few days ago.

john step

Reaction score
The commentator says "nice and light". Good god that makes it ideal for delicate roach bites then doesn't it:eek::eek:

Keith M

Reaction score
I'm sure it wouldn't give anyone an advantage when float fishing unless you are watching tame fish in a bath LOL...

Putting the camera into a feeder or leger weight would make a lot more sense to me, where you can see everything from a much better angle, and we already have small submergable cameras on the market already.

Looking down on fish from above isn't going to show much about whether the fish has the bait in or out of its mouth anyway and that's if you can see the bait and fishes mouth from above; and through the average murky water.

Plus I wouldn't dream of using such a big insensitive and unbalanced float (compared to the average waggler or stick float) for catching wary and finicky biting fish.

Watching and controlling a well shotted and sensitive float on the surface of the water would give you a lot more information about the bite than any much heavier and ill balanced floating camera contraption and would also enable you to strike a lot easier and efficiently too.

I'm pretty sure that most well experienced float anglers in the UK would say similar LOL

Keith

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Being a tight old ******, I'd be rather miffed to lose one of these at 250 rips a go! Hell man I'm miffed for a week if I lose a pound float. Really don't think I've got enough time left in my life to get over losing 250 rips worth!

trotter2

Reaction score
My take on cameras is, it goes against the spirit of fishing
Not knowing what happening beneath the water is the appeal of angling. Will you catch and when you will catch ?
Its the unknown the "mystery" which keeps you going back for more.
You never know if there is fish in your peg ,if the fish are feeding and how big they are.
If you remove that element it would not be the same.

Not only that but you would find out very quickly that your best efforts only catch the village idiots LOL

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
For me, I'm afraid that the reality is that a marker float with a camera is little more than a technologically advanced glass bottomed bucket and a boat. I don't use that method, so I've no desire to buy the fancy marker float. However, it does puzzle me why anyone would be dead set against the camera but not a glass bottomed bucket.

barbelboi

Reaction score
All it would do is show you what we already know - there's a heck of a lot of fish down there totally ignoring your bait..................;)

trotter2

Reaction score
All it would do is show you what we already know - there's a heck of a lot of fish down there totally ignoring your bait..................;)

It would be eating all your bait but avoiding the one with the hook in it LOL

flightliner

Reaction score
As I said on another forum-- " why not just lob a hand grenade into your swim" either way you've just ruined your day.