Tench chances now

caelan

Reaction score
ANYONE out here still catching tench on rivers/lakes not had many this season so far wrong place at wrong time need to get into a few late season ones I hope if you are still catching what are they taking any info would be great

rubio

Reaction score
Not done well at all for tench myself either but still getting crucians without struggling. There is a favoured spot on my local river that was so reliable for winter tench the club stopped pegging it in matches cos they won everytime. Genuinely, every time. Deep and settled water where thick weed is rotting down is all I can suggest.
Actually I'd recommend going after summat else and just being ready next year. I forgot to go for mullet this year but I'm not planning a visit to Scilly Isles for xmas to make up for it. You could be asking too much to specifically chase tench by now. Or at least in another month when water temps really drop off.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Even up here in the frozen north, I had one last week on float fished maggot intended for roach.

When it comes to tench, everything depends on the water concerned. There are many mixed fisheries where I'd expect to see them pop up right through the year. However, I barely bother to target them in my go to tench water outside of May and June. If the weather is reasonable in April and August that may be extended a little. Outside of these months they often seem to vanish.

flightliner

Reaction score
Not had a Tench since july ( lots of reasons) but last year on a stillwater when november was fairly mild I had a tench of about four pounds on mussel when fishing for roach, the next cast produced its male counterpart of some two pounds .
Could still be worth trying.

flightliner

Reaction score
Not had a Tench since july ( lots of reasons) but last year on a stillwater when november was fairly mild I had a tench of about four pounds on mussel when fishing for roach, the next cast produced its male counterpart of some two pounds .
Could still be worth trying.
oops!!

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have not had one Tench this year although I was not specifically fishing for them in June or July. However not to get one is unusual.
My lowest water temperature range for catching them is 41-45f although that tends to be in early spring; I believe anglers sometimes catch them lower than that.
Last week the water temperature on a canal I fished was 50f. so I think there's still a chance of a late one. Commercial fisheries are probably better to try I would think. These tend to have summer species feeding longer so I am told.
Picking a pool with some crucians is worth a try. Although its getting late October I have had some good crucian fishing in October, I believe they have a last feed up before winter around this time and are one of the last summer fish to go off the boil as some have reported..
And if any tench are still active you may find one at the same time, similar tactics and baits can apply. Small bits of float fished luncheon meat on a 14 I have found effective in the past.