Winter grounbait for the method...

fishplate42

Reaction score
All summer I have been using my Two Dog groundbait mix. Although it started off as a joke, the joke was on me when it really started to work. I am now thinking about making a winter version using the turmeric/pepper mix that Chris from LaGuna recommended. I have started waffling about it on my blog and you can find that HERE if you are interested, but I am wondering what to use as a base to carry the turmeric, I could use bread/biscuit but I am thinking if I use something that has a feed content but will cloud very easily there will not be enough substance t fill the slow-feeding fish but might just get them interested - Any thoughts on what to use? I am thinking of trying finely ground (blended) Vitalin. What do you think?

Ralph. :)

wanderer

Reaction score
Ralph, I have given a super groundbait recipe for the method on another thread, but specifically for winter, Vitalin, liquidised pineapple chunks laced with chillie sand garlic, and the red Van Den Enyde method mix, mix until doughy, and present with maggots, small boilies or raw steak strips heavily seasoned and you wont go far wrong, Laguna knows more than I do about bait making, but try it mate.

robtherake

Reaction score
Finely-ground Vitalin's an excellent binder but it's seriously sticky - I use it as a binder for pellets on the method feeder at around a handful per pint. I've used it neat in the past on the big specimen-style method feeders and found it was still mostly intact after an hour's immersion and a tussle with a fish! Useful if you're fishing the method in deeper water or if you're belting it out a long way, though.

john step

Reaction score
I have always found that during the winter groundbait needs to be used in less and less volumes. Just for flavour not for feeding.( thumbnail size ball perhaps??)

I don't fish commies where its always possible that volumes are greater than other waters of course. The match boys would know about that.

I know fish don't eat much in cold water and over feeding can be the kiss of death.
I have read of how the carpers can used PVA friendly liquid in a bag with no feed just to stimulate feeding That points to the right direction I feel.

Food for thought?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have always found that during the winter groundbait needs to be used in less and less volumes. Just for flavour not for feeding.( thumbnail size ball perhaps??)

I don't fish commies where its always possible that volumes are greater than other waters of course. The match boys would know about that.

I know fish don't eat much in cold water and over feeding can be the kiss of death.
I have read of how the carpers can used PVA friendly liquid in a bag with no feed just to stimulate feeding That points to the right direction I feel.

Food for thought?

I am planning to use it on a method feeder. I want to keep the attraction going of the turmeric/pepper but that is only 5% of the total volume. My plan is to use something that will grind down fine and disperse as it takes in the water. if it is fine enough it should make a cloud and the fish will not be able to bulk out on it. I was thinking of making a liquid 'smoke' and experiment with that at different consistencies being dripped on to the method concoction once it has been loaded onto the feeder - well that's the plan. I need to try a few things out at home in a tank and then prove it on the bank... should keep me occupied for a while, as if I have not got enough to do ;).

Ralph.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
chillie sand

I know they use chilli sand to make spicy take away shops, never thought of putting it in ground bait

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

chillie sand

I know they use chilli sand to make spicy take away shops, never thought of putting it in ground bait :D:D:eek:

ciprinus

Reaction score
I am planning to use it on a method feeder. I want to keep the attraction going of the turmeric/pepper but that is only 5% of the total volume. My plan is to use something that will grind down fine and disperse as it takes in the water. if it is fine enough it should make a cloud and the fish will not be able to bulk out on it. I was thinking of making a liquid 'smoke' and experiment with that at different consistencies being dripped on to the method concoction once it has been loaded onto the feeder - well that's the plan. I need to try a few things out at home in a tank and then prove it on the bank... should keep me occupied for a while, as if I have not got enough to do ;).

Ralph.

just a thought but have you considered adding milk powder?
i once developed a method mix based on liquidized bread and baby milk powder using liquidised corn and pineapple as the binder with a touch of fivespice and cinnamon, corn on the hook of course.
after a couple of loaded feeders went in the cloud was visible on the surface, worked quite well too :eek::eek:

fishplate42

Reaction score
just a thought but have you considered adding milk powder?
i once developed a method mix based on liquidized bread and baby milk powder using liquidised corn and pineapple as the binder with a touch of fivespice and cinnamon, corn on the hook of course.
after a couple of loaded feeders went in the cloud was visible on the surface, worked quite well too :eek::eek:

Funny you should say that, I was wondering about using milk powder as one of my experiments. I have some in the cupboard left over from some boilie making. I will try some of these things over the next couple of weeks. I will post my results on my blog...

Ralph ;)

john step

Reaction score

Ralph.

In clear winter water a dark mixture could be effective. Gives the fish a sense of security.
Mole hill soil has been used to good effect. Any way of incorporating this or similar in a fine state into your mix. No food value but could be flavoured with worm extract??

fishplate42

Reaction score
Couldn't sleep John? Still thinking about Sargent P? ;)

Trouble is there ain't many moles here in London, they have trouble getting through the paving slabs. I will chuck a shovel and bucket in the van next time we venture outside the low emission zone...

...I plan to try a 'blend' of few different things :rolleyes:

Ralph.

wanderer

Reaction score
I know they use chilli sand to make spicy take away shops, never thought of putting it in ground bait

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

I know they use chilli sand to make spicy take away shops, never thought of putting it in ground bait :D:D:eek:

Got me on a typo you old crook, ill get ya, hee, hee.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Vitalin binds because it's full of sweetcorn; anyone who has tried to wash up a dish with the dried remains of corn-flakes on it will know all about that. Blitzed budget cornflakes will help bind any groundbait, and I really must start carrying a bag for emergencies.
Most biscuit seems not to bind; I seem to recall rice flour or ground rice being useful in taking up water and forcing groundbait apart. Damp bran will do that, too.
Gram flour and oatmeal could be worth a look, too.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Vitalin binds because it's full of sweetcorn; anyone who has tried to wash up a dish with the dried remains of corn-flakes on it will know all about that. Blitzed budget cornflakes will help bind any groundbait, and I really must start carrying a bag for emergencies.
Most biscuit seems not to bind; I seem to recall rice flour or ground rice being useful in taking up water and forcing groundbait apart. Damp bran will do that, too.
Gram flour and oatmeal could be worth a look, too.

Some interesting ideas there Alan, thanks!

Gram flour is ground chickpea, which is a legume so that makes it bean flour. Lots of fisheries ban the use of chickpeas. is this because the fish cannot digest them and if that are ground up into an 'ingredient' of something else is that acceptable?

When a fishery banns chickpeas and other things, like tiger nuts, is it meaning only as hook bait?

Why do fisheries ban certain bait?

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score

Gram flour is ground chickpea, which is a legume so that makes it bean flour. Lots of fisheries ban the use of chickpeas. is this because the fish cannot digest them and if that are ground up into an 'ingredient' of something else is that acceptable?

When a fishery banns chickpeas and other things, like tiger nuts, is it meaning only as hook bait?

Ralph.

In case some numpty doesn 't prepare them correctly which can damage fish....I am lead to believe from various writings although I have never used them myself. The carp boys would know more.

PS Up here in Gods county the moles are a pain and mole hill soil is readily available .......blooming everywhere.

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Coconut milk powder. Cheap in your local Asian shop. Dark is best tho for clear water any time of year.

wanderer

Reaction score

Ralph.
Because despite all the prep info out there , idiots chuck raw baits in and they swell in the carps intestinal tract, the other reason is they are more effective than boilies and big business protects its own interests.