''Backwind or clutch, and why?''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, I must have missed it.
For almost fifty years fixed spool reels of various makes were my go to reels. My only criteria in choosing models was that they possessed a ''silk smooth clutch''.
So my question is why, and when did backwinding enter the fray?

sumtime

Reaction score
Looking forward to others views on this, always clutch for me, why buy a reel with a clutch on if you don't use it? :confused:

Enter Matt Hayes. :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you can go back to the 70's for when we would remove the anti-back wind device on our closed face reels, and about 15 to 20 years later when really good clutches became the order of the day.

Modern fixed spool reels have superb clutch mechanisms these days thus removing the need to back wind, and the more you pay for one the better the mechanism gets too.

Then the advent of the Shimano "fighting clutch" more or less made back winding totally obsolete . . . . well, in my fishing it did . . . .

naxian62

Reaction score
Yep, clutch for me all the way. In the past I have bought reels where the clutch has been " sticky" and I've got rid of them.
Backwinding feels like you're about lose control at any second, like the reel's in charge and not you. If you see what I mean.

wanderer

Reaction score
If you want to get your knuckles bruised, backwinding is the ideal method, with larger faster fish, Carp, Pike, Cats, Barbell, Salmon, forget it, they will outrun you and despite rim pressure, you will lose more fish. Set the clutch suitable for the breaking strain of the line and the TC. of the rod, as Derek says , modern clutches on decent reels are pretty precise tools, your finger aint guys, no comparison.

---------- Post added at 02:23 ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 ----------

I think you can go back to the 70's for when we would remove the anti-back wind device on our closed face reels, and about 15 to 20 years later when really good clutches became the order of the day.

Modern fixed spool reels have superb clutch mechanisms these days thus removing the need to back wind, and the more you pay for one the better the mechanism gets too.

Then the advent of the Shimano "fighting clutch" more or less made back winding totally obsolete . . . . well, in my fishing it did . . . .

I presume you are talking about the feeder reels Peter, superb tools.

trotter2

Reaction score
Being old school I back wind all my fishing (river fishing).I am a closed face user. The Centrepin the best close range trotting reel IMO you just use your thumb on the spool.

thecrow

Reaction score
Backwind for me, its a habit I have had for a long time and one that I do not want to break, a lot of my fishing has been in swims where no line can initially be given, the clutch is wound up tight and I am in control of when and how much line is given not any attempt to gain line by the fish.

On bigger rivers where line can be given I still backwind like I said its a habit, I cant think of any time where I have lost fish due to this habit and the only time I will use the clutch on these rivers is when the fish is under the rod and even then its not set lightly as I use line with plenty of stretch I rely on that as a shock absorber as well.

trotter2

Reaction score
My take on this is. Remember this is river fishing I am talking about, small hook with a delicate hook hold stick float fishing

If you set the drag on a reel you are most of the time setting it to slightly less than the braking strength of the line (hook length) OK.
With some fish this does not work because the hook hold is way less than the breaking strength of the line your using you need to back wind unless you risk the hook hold ripping out of the fish.
If you use the drag you are having to tighten up and loosen off all the time to wind the fish in and avoid ripping the delicate hook hold out.

Perhaps if you must use a drag the best way would be to use both drag and back wind together.
But in nr 40 yrs of fishing rivers I have never felt the need to use a drag and I am not changing now LOL
For close range fishing you cant get better than a centrepin best drag system off all .

theartist

Reaction score
Perhaps if you must use a drag the best way would be to use both drag and back wind together.

This is exactly what you should do. If you got two options then to alternate between the two makes total sense depending on the situation.

I use both all the time, not at the same time of course but with big fish like barbel on light line then back winding gently is way more subtle than letting the clutch engage. Same with carp and pike back winding can stop them taking off on long runs. However having a loose drag can really help if you hook something that takes off instantly like chub and trout and as has been said will stop the old fingers getting pinged on a cold day.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As others have stated, the clutch on a modern decent f/s reel is exceptionally good and I wouldn't dream of backwinding these days. For those that still use a '300' though..................................:eek:mg:;)

wanderer

Reaction score
My take on this is. Remember this is river fishing I am talking about, small hook with a delicate hook hold stick float fishing

If you set the drag on a reel you are most of the time setting it to slightly less than the braking strength of the line (hook length) OK.
With some fish this does not work because the hook hold is way less than the breaking strength of the line your using you need to back wind unless you risk the hook hold ripping out of the fish.
If you use the drag you are having to tighten up and loosen off all the time to wind the fish in and avoid ripping the delicate hook hold out.

But in nr 40 yrs of fishing rivers I have never felt the need to use a drag and I am not changing now LOL
For close range fishing you cant get better than a centrepin best drag system off all .

Most of the old pins I have used incorporated a strong ratchet, probably the equivalent of a clutch.

ciprinus

Reaction score
No need to backwind on a centerpin, i just use my thumb as a clutch/brake.
clutch with my free spools, never been able to get the hang of backwinding :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't tend to pay for good reels, with excellent clutches, to never bother to use them. However, I do occasionally turn the anti-reverse off and backwind. Much depends on circumstance.

If I'd had to tolerate the drags on quality reels of the dim and distant past, I dare say that I'd be a backwinder too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If using a fixed spool reel I use the clutch...I set it quite light and use my finger on the spool to finely tune it ( I also alter the clutch setting throughout the playing of a fish if need be). As Trotter says just setting tightly or so it'll give line just before the line breaks will cause hook pulls.
The only reel I back wind with is my old abu 501 which has the tension built into the reel handle as it back winds. As with the fixed spool drag I still set it quite lightly and control the rate at which the handle backwinds, this is far more controled than simply back winding a fixed spool reel....jmo folks.

flightliner

Reaction score
As others have stated, the clutch on a modern decent f/s reel is exceptionally good and I wouldn't dream of backwinding these days. For those that still use a '300' though..................................:eek:mg:;)

Jerry, your optoniks screaming !

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Backwind for me with the clutch only at short range. Just habit I guess but I'm happy with it so why change ? The fact that a reel comes with a silky smooth clutch is irrelevant....its up to me whether I choose to use it and I generally don't. Same with the bait runner option...I very rarely have those on but they're handy if I need a waz or want to set my indicators.

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Back winding for me. I prefer it to a clutch. My view is that regardless of the advances made in reel design there is one unchanging constant. The force required to overcome the initial inertia of a friction clutch is greater than the force required to keep it slipping. So you can set the clutch to whatever you want but once it begins to slip the resistance to a running fish is less and unknown unless you known the material friction coefficients and can make the necessary calculations. So to my mind that is not being in control. When playing a fish by back winding I am well aware how much pressure I am putting on and what I am giving and taking. That said I am not a 'big fish" man although I have had carp to 18lb using the back wind technique no problem and truth be told I don't want to catch any thing bigger. Pete

terry m

Reaction score
Always clutch for me, properly set it modern clutches on quality reels are faultless.

However on occasions when a large specimen is close to the net I will often disengage the anti-reverse just in case there is a large last minute lunge. It works for me.

B

binka

Very much the clutch for me though I'm not averse to backwinding if I feel it's beneficial, clutches on quality reels really are so good these days and if I feel I might be really up against it I will back the clutch right off so as not to get it out run and feather the spool with my middle finger.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Backwind for me with the clutch only at short range. Just habit I guess but I'm happy with it so why change ? The fact that a reel comes with a silky smooth clutch is irrelevant....its up to me whether I choose to use it and I generally don't. Same with the bait runner option...I very rarely have those on but they're handy if I need a waz or want to set my indicators.

Your problem Skip is that you have never used a decent double handled Shimmy............;)