winter suit

hawb811

Reaction score
im after a new winter suit and im thinking of a sea fishing suit, waterproof, windproof and breathable, are they ok and would a floatation suit be too bulky

Keith M

Reaction score
I haven't seen the sea fishing one piece flotation suits up close but it can get extremely cold on exposed beaches during winter so they must be pretty warm.
As for being bulky; my winter 2 piece Diawa Bib-n-Brace must be even bulkier than the average flotation suit (if it is a one piece that your talking about)

Keith

Last edited:
B

binka

I've had one piece suits in the past and to be honest I've felt a bit restricted in them and now favour a good quality lined and windproof/waterproof bib 'n brace with the flexibility that it offers to layer over and below it according to how cold the weather is likely to be.

If I think back I was often too hot during winter in the one piece and I'm just as toasty with separates and have the flexibility that goes with them, especially when walking to a swim and setting up where I can carry a windproof fleece over my bag to save getting lathered in the process and then slip it on later with gloves, neck gator etc. if I start to feel a bit chilly.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I've had one piece suits in the past and to be honest I've felt a bit restricted in them and now favour a good quality lined and windproof/waterproof bib 'n brace with the flexibility that it offers to layer over and below it according to how cold the weather is likely to be.

If I think back I was often too hot during winter in the one piece and I'm just as toasty with separates and have the flexibility that goes with them, especially when walking to a swim and setting up where I can carry a windproof fleece over my bag to save getting lathered in the process and then slip it on later with gloves, neck gator etc. if I start to feel a bit chilly.

I agree Binka, best thing I ever did /do was / is strip off whilst walking to my swim.

B

binka

I agree Binka, best thing I ever did /do was / is strip off whilst walking to my swim.

I'm trying not to picture that :D

Something else that I tend to do is try and buy everything a size larger so that it lets the air circulate, not easy when you're seventeen stone.

I once bought the largest size of a well known brand of merino wool thermal vest and it looked like it had been sprayed on it was that tight and the damn thing used to get soaked with sweat and it ended up as a car rag.

I think this will be my choice of base layer this winter in the coldest of weather with the option to layer above and below if need be, along with the bib 'n brace it's likely to be all I need but easy to throw a vest beneath and a jumper and/or fleece on top and it will definitely stop the draughts...

Navitas Apparel NEW Fleece Rompa Fishing Onesie Suit Rifle Green *All Sizes* | eBay

You can't beat a good onesie, until you need a number twosie...

john step

Reaction score
Binka , Couldn't agree more about the bib and brace. I have found that it was only the very coldest of temperatures that the jacket needed to be worn as the bottom half comes up to the chest.

On a cautionary note... if you order from that particular supplier be very sure that they really have it it stock and are not fobbing you off to order later.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I find the thermal underwear helps, long johns and vest. I think mine came from Marks and Spencer; definitely a help when it gets cold. And a good thermal woolly hat that can pull down over the ears. And I have a wide brimmed over large water proof hat than can go on top if need be plus I like a good scarf round my neck

I dont have it now but I had a ex US Army Parka once with blanket lining, loads of pockets, a big hood, waterproof and it was big enough for plenty underneath and everything had draw strings on it. I was not restricted in it and it was brilliant, I have stood in snow storms on Dungerness beach in that and it kept me good.
Just reminded myself of that, I will have to start looking for another one.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m a onesie, layers n bib n brace man myself , its just so conveniant to acclimatise yourself to the conditions prevailing at any one moment.
Years ago there was a small hiccup in my presant preferance, I was gifted a hand knitted woollen jumper in the most lurid green imaginable by a lady of my aquintance of -- how can I put this -- an alternative sexual orientation. A lovely gal, but unfortunately her knitting left much to be desired as it fitted like a sack that comes below the knees and reminded me of the opening scenes of Starsky n Hutch just coming out of the pool in wet clothes.It was like an enormous string vest and even today in the coldest of winter outings bankside I will use it on the odd occasion as its so warm n cosy --- did she really like me?.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
I'm trying not to picture that :D

A4JnPy2.jpg