When was the last time you actually needed to by a new rod or reel?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

I bought a new rod this summer 1.5lb tc rod - I bought it to fish a lake holding some decent carp going up to mid twenty

I didn't actually need the rod - I have other rods would have done the job but I saw the rod and decided I wanted it

Same with the last reel I bought, I managed to convince myself I need it when actually I had a couple of reel I rarely use

So what about you

duncan_m

Reaction score
A lead on here led me to aquire a Prodigy barbel with a 2lb top to make fishing a club water both more efficient and more enjoyable (more power than other feeder/Avon options I had and more finesse than a couple of dirt cheap carp rods rated at 2.5 and 2.75).
It works perfectly.
I probably wouldn't have bought it full price, and there are probably many viable alternatives!

But, specifically aimed at the title of your post, it's hard to envisage actually needing any rod or reel....wanting definitely but not needing.

On a boat or a bank - if possible

john step

Reaction score
Needed a feeder rod as they are called nowdays as being a clumsy git I stood on my old "quiver tip" rod. I must say the Shakey 10foot feeder I bought is great. Lighter, better action, and about the same price in pounds that the old Abu cost about 30 plus years ago. A joy to use.:)

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's a pastime - no-one actually needs a rod.
But this summer there was an Allcock's Eclipse in an antiques/retro stall... I simply had to.
Now I "need" an(other) Aerialite centre-pin (as opposed to the "Swimming Reel") to go with it, for warmer digits in the winter.

robtherake

Reaction score
Can't remember last time I actually needed a new rod, but occasional second-hand bargains - rods I always wanted but couldn't afford - keep jumping out in front of me. And latest models that look tasty at the price. And an upwards trend in rod power to deal with the ubiquitous puddle pigs. The acquisitiveness - honed by years as an adolescent yearning for better gear (in my case) - is a deep-seated thing for many of us.

Besides, I still can't quite believe that I'm a grown-up and can just go out and buy this stuff now, instead of leaving a greasy nose print on the tackle shop window. :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Last week when visiting Dave at Reid's tackle shop for a chat and a cup of coffee . . . then I happened to see a lovely new Shimano on the shelf and I just needed it immediately . . . . .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Need is a debatable concept when it comes to buying new rods. I very much doubt that I've had a genuine need for a new rod since the mid nineties. However, that's not stopped me buying shed loads of rods since then.
As much as some folks ridicule the attitude, there's always another niche that you can fill. Did I really need the rod I bought last week? Almost definitely not. I could have done without it. However, I can do a lot better with it.

I happened to see a lovely new Shimano on the shelf and I just needed it immediately . . . . .

Which Shimmy rod have you been buying, Peter? They've done some damned good rods in the last few years, most of which have been ignored.

dalesman

Reaction score
Right now I in the market for a new float rod for trotting but try to find one in todays market of commercial fishing

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Right now I in the market for a new float rod for trotting but try to find one in todays market of commercial fishing

They're still out there, but you do have to look in the right places unless you are prepared to buy blind.

Darlington Angling Centre (on North Road) always have a decent selection of Drennan rods that are emminently suitable for trotting. They may also have a smattering of Daiwa, Shimano and Tri-Cast at times.

jimlad

Reaction score
I'm well past the stage of needing gear! It's just become a collecting thing now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trotter2

Reaction score
Funny thing is I keep buying new ones but returning to the old ones after the novelty has worn away :confused:

jimlad

Reaction score
The matchpro ultralights, and acolyte ultras are very nice trotting rods dalesman. I also own a drennan floatmaster combo which is brilliant, and surprisingly effective as a chub rod. Can't really comment on others as I've not tried them.

Don't forget the older IM8 stick rods either.......

dalesman

Reaction score
The matchpro ultralights, and acolyte ultras are very nice trotting rods dalesman. I also own a drennan floatmaster combo which is brilliant, and surprisingly effective as a chub rod. Can't really comment on others as I've not tried them.

Don't forget the older IM8 stick rods either.......

Jim

Because I need to totally reequip need to looking for a sub ton rod. Ill health stopped me fishing for 19 months.

Looking to do Grayling and Dace fishing.

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thinking back over 40 years.

When I was younger the need for a new rod was dictated by the rapid advances in materials through the 70's and 80's.
Wanting to switch from cane hand me downs to an East Anglia glassfibre rod and then to carbon.

The rest was down to marketing and wanton gullibility.

Do I really need 8 (or more) different feeder rods ranging from 6' to 13' for fishing the same river 52 weeks a year. Probably not, but as long as I convince myself that they can be used for that one specific half hour on the third Thursday of December every four years when the wind drops and the moon is in the third quarter then I'm happy.

I think also that 'age' of tackle plays a part. Sometimes it is just nice to buy something new, for example my main feeder rod is a twenty year old shimano technium which is still a great rod. But over the last few months I have started looking for a replacement even though it is not needed.

But to answer Lord Paul's question. The last thing I bought which I truly needed was my 14' ultralight.
I had float rods of 10', 11', 12', 13', 15' and 17' (some lengths duplicated) so as you can see there was an obvious gap.

jimlad

Reaction score
Hit the nail on the head there. As long as you can foresee a situation where it may be of use, it's worth splashing the cash. The reality is, that situation can probably be covered quite effectively with gear that I already have....

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
A few weeks ago neede to replave my reel Bail arm caasting broke and a few months ago neede to replace a damaged 12 foot float rod top section got snapped 2 rings down .

PG ..

slaphead

Reaction score
I'm considering replacing everything, cos what I have is not catching at the moment. :eek:mg: