''Fog, is it any good for fishing''

theartist

Reaction score
I prefer the moment the sun finally burns it off, ok it can make the fishing harder when it does but the fog is usually followed some crisp and wonderfully clear views

greenie62

Reaction score
I always associate foggy / misty mornings with pike fishing after fishing Club waters on a small river 'dahn sarf' many years ago - if you hooked a roach when it was like that - you had to get it in the net quick or it would be chomped! :eek:

Having said that - went on a Club pike hunt yesterday morniing in the thick fog - at a 'guaranteed' venue and nearly everyone blanked! The exception being a fly fisherman who flicked his fly-lure in to wet it on setting-up - bang! - even before his first cast!:cool:
Around a dozen of us blanked - mostly on deadies - a few slashes and follows on spinner - but mainly nowt! There seemed to be plenty of action from the jack-infested water with swirls and fry explosions across the pool - but no hookups!

In the pub after - at the post-mortem (or post vivem) - we came to the conclusion that the pike were more active in the poor underwater light conditions and were in 'hunting mode' - after live fish - rather than 'carrion mode' picking up deadies or 'don't tick me off mode' after spinners.

We also concluded that the poor underwater light suited the pike but when they came near the surface to chase a lure they could clearly see the frustrated sweaty lure-flingers on the bank because it wasn't dark!:cool:

Fog - is it any good for fishing ? - it depends! :eek:mg:

Last edited:
B

binka

I have no idea although I do like fishing in fog, especially when you can hear fish rolling but can't see them.

I do associate it with low light feeders such as perch but wouldn't like to say if it's actually a benefit or not, pike fishing along some reedy waterway in the fog is a classic image in my mind.

imol

Reaction score
I like fishing in mist/fog. It always makes me think that it's going to be a productive day (even if the reality doesn't bear that out in the end). Sort of the opposite of the day that is "too sunny".

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason that we get fogs and mist is that the land cools up to 5 times quicker than the water, so while the land has cooled overnight the water still maintains more if its daytime warmth (relative warmth that is)

I have had some great early morning Roach fishing in the lower light conditions caused by mist or fog, but not too often to make me think there is a direct correlation.

The only difference between a mist an a fog is the size of the water droplets; larger droplets causing Fog.

floatfish

Reaction score
If fishing in fog or heavy mist you need to be very quiet, and not move about a lot on the bank as sound/movement noises travels like no other conditions, and can put the fish off. !
Other than been cold and damp, don't think it makes a great deal of difference in my experience.

Keith M

Reaction score
I don't really think it makes a lot of difference to me when compared to a normal overcast day however because I can't see much else in the fog it tends to force me to concentrate a little more closely on my float or whatever else I'm using for bite detection; and maybe it just appears to be slightly more productive LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I dunno....I was just wondering that meself and whether the reduced light levels might prompt my old mates at Bury Hill to have a go. Funny how people seem to associate fog with pike fishing. It does seem "right" and the only time I can recall doing well in fog I was actually piking. I had 14 before the fog lifted and only 1 more thereafter. They weren't big pike but it was a fabulous mornings fishing.

peterjg

Reaction score
A really interesting question. I was roach fishing before light yesterday and it was very foggy. When it was light but still foggy the visibility distance-wise was poor but up close everything was still quite bright.

So does fog reduce distance visibility but alter the light intensity but not actually reduce it much? **** Walker said that for big roach to feed you usually needed about 6.5 foot candles of light (this was also confirmed by John Etherington).

Some years ago I bought a second hand lux meter which measures light values. Just for interest around 0.9 lux equals 1 ft/candle and I can confirm that a light value of 6.5 ft/c is a very low light level.

For what it's worth, I don't thing fog makes much difference to the actual light amount but it changes it's intensity - a bit like a diffuser on a light tube or a bit of tissue on a flash gun.

It would be interesting to know if fog reduces part of the light spectrum, reducing ultra violet or infra red light?

PS: For example, a lux meter would normally be used by a lighting engineer to calculate the correct amount of flossy tubes to be fitted in a factory.

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Some years ago I bought a second hand lux meter which measures light values. Just for interest around 0.9 lux equals 1 ft/candle and I can confirm that a light value of 6.5 ft/c is a very low light level...

Good idea Peter,
I've just downloaded an App for the iPad that will allow the recording of Light levels via the camera - or more accurately a jack-plug lux meter - I'll try this out whilst we've got the fog to get an idea of Lux levels experienced.
Tight Lines!

laguna

Reaction score