Float storage

bleak

Reaction score
I have been looking online for a new float storage unit as I am using increasingly longer floats. The middy clear tube looks practical, but I cannot find any dimensions online;any ideas as to the length; or perhaps I will go back to making my own... now a really tall bottle of whisky with corresponding tube would be ace!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have been looking online for a new float storage unit as I am using increasingly longer floats. The middy clear tube looks practical, but I cannot find any dimensions online;any ideas as to the length; or perhaps I will go back to making my own... now a really tall bottle of whisky with corresponding tube would be ace!

What about an empty pringles tube?

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
The tubes used for keeping pole top sections can be cut to size; I find too big a tube means more rattling space = damaged floats.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
I'll second Tiggers suggestion - I have 2, one is full of pike floats , the other has wagglers etc in it

john step

Reaction score
Look up PANARO FLOAT BOXES on fleabay.
various sizes from Bulgaria of all places.
I have 3 and find them very good.
They are flat and clear and you can see the contents unlike an unclear tubes which I tend to tip out to find the right float.

£2.40 to £3.60 size depending.

robtherake

Reaction score
Floats in plastic tubes always end up with a few dents and dings; worth bearing in mind if you're fond of their appearance. Cardboard tubes end up getting soggy at some point, but I guess you're only ever a few mouthfuls of crisps away from a new one. :)

---------- Post added at 15:35 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

Look up PANARO FLOAT BOXES on fleabay.
various sizes from Bulgaria of all places.
I have 3 and find them very good.
They are flat and clear and you can see the contents unlike an unclear tubes which I tend to tip out to find the right float.

£2.40 to £3.60 size depending.

I'm liking those, John. More pocket and holdall-friendly than a tube :)

NEW PLASTICA PANARO FISHING TACKLE FLOAT BOX WITH SHIMANO OR DAIWA STICKER | eBay

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When I go roaving I wear a waistcoat and to protect the floats I use an old Korda PVA tube with a screw on top. I can fit avon/bolo floats in it up to 5gram, any heavier and they're too long to fit in. I think mines the medium sized tube so the larger one may be better for some. I've been using mine for about 8yrs !

bleak

Reaction score
I have an efgeeco plastic float box it is flat and hinged with foam spacers inside. I have had the box for
more than twenty five years, it has been brilliant -just not long enough-, tough and waterproof ; It would be nice to find a new range. I always found efgeeco products tough and straightforward.

B

binka

I have an efgeeco plastic float box it is flat and hinged with foam spacers inside. I have had the box for
more than twenty five years, it has been brilliant -just not long enough-, tough and waterproof ; It would be nice to find a new range. I always found efgeeco products tough and straightforward.

Might be worth having a look at the Stewart ones, very similar to your Efgeeco although I'm not sure what lengths they do...

2 x NEW Stewart Float Boxes each with 21 or more NEW Floats & 2 Disgorgers | eBay

robtherake

Reaction score
Might be worth having a look at the Stewart ones, very similar to your Efgeeco although I'm not sure what lengths they do...

2 x NEW Stewart Float Boxes each with 21 or more NEW Floats & 2 Disgorgers | eBay

Glory be! Are Stewart really still trading after all this time? I remember them doing a long yellow version of the one you've linked to, plus grey rectangular sectional boxes in three sizes and yellow versions of the same with perspex lids. They were de rigeur in the late seventies/early eighties. :)

This blog article covers the much-loved Stewart boxes: http://www.purepiscator.com/articles/ian/hof_ian_stewartbox.aspx

Last edited:

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
I reckon some sort of roll-up wrap with little pockets for each float would be ideal for storing, er, floats. Lightweight, stops them rubbing together and rattling whilst in transit and once rolled out easy to spot the float you are after. Does such a thing exist?

robtherake

Reaction score
I reckon some sort of roll-up wrap with little pockets for each float would be ideal for storing, er, floats. Lightweight, stops them rubbing together and rattling whilst in transit and once rolled out easy to spot the float you are after. Does such a thing exist?

That's what folk used to use when rods were made out of wood.

You can get a similar thing from pound shops.

Toolzone 12 Pocket Canvas Tool Roll Storage Wallet Bag: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ydK-X1NKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ydK-X1NKL

trotter2

Reaction score
float%20wallet4_zpsrdlftj4a.jpg

float%20wallet5_zps5fntlqyk.jpg

I have a float wallet, all I need fits inside. Just a tub of split shot in my other pocket and I am ready to go :)

bracket

Reaction score
float%20wallet4_zpsrdlftj4a.jpg

float%20wallet5_zps5fntlqyk.jpg

I have a float wallet, all I need fits inside. Just a tub of split shot in my other pocket and I am ready to go :)

Very impressive trotter. The question I am dying to ask is: After all that roving , stalking and rooting about, how do you keep your kit so clean? Mine would look like it had been in a bog hole after ten minutes. Pete

trotter2

Reaction score
Very impressive trotter. The question I am dying to ask is: After all that roving , stalking and rooting about, how do you keep your kit so clean? Mine would look like it had been in a bog hole after ten minutes. Pete

Good point bracket :)
I have the best excuse for that;)
Picture was taken the same day I had finished sewing it together, at that point it had never seen the river bank.
Handmade from 2.5 mm leather hide, hand stitched.