10 ft ish trotting rod?

bullet

Reaction score
I fish small rivers fairly regularly and I'm looking for a short rod for trotting for grayling, dace and chub.
Does anyone know if there is anything suitable off the peg, or is it something that I would have to make up myself?
I recon about 10 ft would be ideal. I currently use a 13 footer but it's starting to get on my nerves with all the overhanging branches!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I used to fish the Blackwater (on the Surrey / Berkshire border) quite a bit and found the same problems. I settled on a Preston Innovations Carbotec at 11ft.

I think it's now under their Mini range but a cracking little rod that handled the 4lb plus chub in the Blackwater beautifully.

Hope it helps. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Bullet,
there's not a vast amount of choice out there new. There are usually odds and sods at the cheaper end of the range of the Pure Fishing brands, Shakespeare, Abu, etc. Many will recommend Pellet Waggler rods, but those I've laid hands on have been too beefy or had too much of a through action for me to be happy trotting with.

I recently bought a shorter, light match rod primarily for stillwater roach fishing. However, I wanted it to double up as a beck fishing trotting rod, mostly for grayling. I've used it for both applications now and I'm quite content with it for both. It's an 11' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight. It has a relatively mellow action under load, but it's fast enough for a decent pick up when short range trotting.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've used the 11ft acolyte pellet waggler for trotting on small rivers and it's tailor made for the job. It's very light at 128 grames and so good to handle in tight spots...i'd highly reccommend it.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Thanks,guys

Sam, the rod I currently use is the 13th matchpro,which I really like,so will have a look at the 11 ft.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Yep, that's a good call. I have the Matchpro at 14ft. Forgot they did an 11ft version. Some areas of the Stour might need that.....I'm wavering :)

bullet

Reaction score
It's always easy to find a reason for another rod...:)

trotter2

Reaction score
I have a little John Wilson 10ft float rod its a little gem for such situations.
Very reasonably priced and much better than the price suggests. :)
Its a little bit more powerful than the Drennan rod. I use it for general float work shallow ponds and trotting on little streams it will handle a good tench or a 4lb chub. The drennan is more at home for roach and dace fishing its still very nice but just thought I would try and point you in the right direction all just IMO of course .

John Wilson Mirage Float Rod

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Well,they can always be.......a bit shorter/longer, a bit stiffer,a bit lighter,a nicer fish playing action etc.etc.