Specimen Hunters Info

wanderer

Reaction score
As an ageing specimen hunter, i have an interest in picking up little bits of fishing intelligence that will save me wasting my valuable time, times of changed and the sources are many. Forums, first port of call, i know this because i blew one of my own spots on a different forum, a spot not used for years, suddenly became populated by guys with transit vans full of posh gear. You tube, some kid blew another river spot i had baited for ages with a little video, oh well it aint my river. Match anglers, read the reports of snap ups, walk the matches, with their light gear they may be hooking something that you are unaware of, magazines and the boastful prats that blow their own venues, boat people who travel the rivers and canals, you may regard them as a nuisance, the info my mates supply has in the past saved me months of blanks. No questions to you, just an advice blog to anyone interested in this branch of our sport.

barbelboi

Reaction score
To be honest Steve I prefer to generally find things out for myself (obviously I share info with close friends) as the info feedback I give myself tends to always be accurate..............;)

wanderer

Reaction score
Thats the old way ,you two, and i agree with you but you have to take advantage of our loose mouthed coleagues, saves so much time, personally, keep stum.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm very wary of giving too much information, especially online. I'm only too aware that there are an awful lot of people out there that do little on forums beyond trawl them for information. However, much depends on the venues concerned. I'm not shy of talking about club or day ticket waters (where permissable) to anybody. I'll be open with other members of my syndicates, provided they are open with me.

Generally speaking, I'll be open with anyone that contributes, provided I think it's appropriate and doesn't impinge drastically on me or others. I'm not even that fussed if it's a little to my detriment. I rather enjoy seeing club members, syndicate members and those that I have some type of connection, catching fish. If I can help them catch a few more, so much the better.

jimlad

Reaction score
I try to combine as much info as possible. I have some good mates who i share info with, getting some good info in return (needs to be a person you trust...).

Forums are a good place to find info - it is useful if you have visited or fished loads of a particular river, as you can name some of the stretches that you see pictures (keep it to yourself obviously).

Facebook is a good source of info these days, sometimes too much info, but it's worth keeping up with up to date info.

Match results and reports are useful; I am in regular contact with a few match anglers who give me the lowdown, and they know there stuff!

Overall, it's about keeping your ear to the ground, and knowing some decent anglers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

terry m

Reaction score
I actually think that finding out about a water yourself is half of the fun. Information imparted by others can be unreliable or contain wild exaggerations.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm the idiot with the loose keyboard, unfortunately :( Goes with the territory, you see; although never diagnosed, discussions with my GP lead us both to believe I'm probably a high-functioning autistic, which (without going too much further into it) explains it all, really. So the naivety, shocking social ineptitude, inability to read people and a tendency to get really excited and blurt something out without my brain putting the brakes on is part and parcel of the condition.

And pedantry, too, as a member (rather unkindly, but he wasn't to know) pointed out in a recent thread. In fact, that time I combined pedantry with getting really excited and flip-flopping my view (although right in the first place) when another option became available. I know, it's a talent. :)

Consequently, I've arrived at favoured (maybe baited, too) swims to find them occupied by lads I've inadvertently "genned-up", and only have myself to blame. Still do it, though - can't help it. :p:confused:;):eek::eek::rolleyes::eek:mg::wh:

Edit - "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Keep the Info to yourselves guys, you put in the hard work, why give it to some Dumb Ar$e who will spread it around, and you end up having trouble getting on the water.

I don't have time for the circus, never have, never will, most of them you would never of heard of if it wasn't for the everyday angler. As for the reports they give to the press about their catches, will i can't put it in words, the Mods would be onto me.

like i always say, ALL Anglers are Pleasure Anglers, why else do you go?

john gotti

Reaction score
As a passionate "specimen"eel angler I always have my ear to the ground so to speak..as they have a nack of turning up in the waters you least expect..also most people are less secretive when it comes eels so the Internet and forums are a valuable tool in putting more eels on the bank...but at the same time I'm a quite experienced all round angler and if I can help other people catch with stuff iv learned over the years I will....forums should be give and take...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Giving other anglers info on how they may up their catch rate is one thing. Putting anglers in swims with all the tactics etc etc, is another, and one anglers shouldn't do IMO.

I am more than happy to give anglers some advice if i can, to try and help them catch, but thats as far as it goes.

john gotti

Reaction score
On another forum a lad was desperate to catch his first ever chub...he seemed really enthusiastic but from I could gather he was wasting his time in the wrong spots on are local river aire...plus people were giving him sound chubby advice but I knew from experience it just wouldn't work in the paticular swims he was trying..so I pm'd him and told about a peg not many people knew about behind a factory witch was always good for a few chub...he was really appreciative and low and behold next day he sent me a photo of a 2lb chub he caught..he was over the moon...since then we have stayed in touch via pm and he as become quite a accomplished river angler...to wich I do feel glad I pointed him in the right direction and don't regret it at all.....

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Good advice, but he only needed to be told to try other swims, working it out is all part and parcel of fishing.

john gotti

Reaction score
True..I'm sure he would have tried other swims eventually...probably peg 16 next to the airiator right behind the cafe where you buy your day tickets after he gave up on rivers....bet he could easily catch 100lb a day by now..haha

john gotti

Reaction score
He doesn't need to go to the cafe for breakfast....he catches what he eats....bbq's it there and then....haha...night night

---------- Post added at 14:48 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

I mean eats what he catches...ha

oyster

Reaction score
I think the problem for me as an aspiring specimen hunter is getting information as time is precious having young kids.... I spend >98% time listening and reading to try and work out how the best tactics and venues. I just dont get enough bank hours to make it count and sometimes the improvements in my fishing come a lot slower due to lack of oppurtunity.

The whole point in catching is the sense of acheivement when I work it out for myself. However I had fishing taught me from and early age. And I wouldnt hesistate to give detailed advice to the right person if they were passionate about taking up the sport more seriously.

Last edited: