News of another Micro Hydro Scheme in Wales

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Will this impact anyones fishing ?

https://naturalresources.wales/how-we-regulate-you/permit-applications-consultations-and-decisions/notice-of-licence-applications-to-abstract-or-impound-water/applications-for-full-licences-to-abstract-or-impound-water/whitewater-estates-llangollen-limited/?lang=en

Whitewater Estates (Llangollen) Limited
Notice of application for a full licence to abstract water and for a licence to obstruct or impede the flow of an inland water by means of impounding works. Comments by no later than 19th November 2015.
Notice of application for a full licence to abstract water and for a licence to obstruct or impede the flow of an inland water by means of impounding works
Notice is hereby given, in accordance with Section 37 of the Water Resources Act 1991 and Regulation 6 of the Water Resources (Abstraction and Impounding) Regulations 2006 that an application has been made to Natural Resources Wales by

Whitewater Estates (Llangollen) Limited for a full licence to abstract water from the River Dee, Llangollen, Denbighshire at National Grid Reference SJ 20761 42893.

The proposal is to abstract water at the following rates and periods:
599,529.6 cubic metres a day and
195,755,225 cubic metres a year.

The water will be used for hydroelectric power generation.
All abstracted water will be returned to River Dee at National Grid Reference SJ 20826 42691.

Application is also being made for a licence to obstruct or impede the flow of the River Dee at National Grid Reference SJ 20761 42893. The object of impounding water by means of the works is to install intake screens to allow for the abstraction.

A copy of the applications, maps, plans and any other document submitted with it may be inspected free of charge at the address of Natural Resources Wales at Chester Road, Buckley, Flintshire, CH7 3AJ during normal office hours (Monday-Friday, except bank holidays). Summary details of the applications are also available from the Public Register held at the above address and may also be inspected free of charge during normal office hours.

Any person who wishes to make representations about the applications must do so in writing, quoting the name of the applicant and Reference Numbers WPCC3204 and WPCC3205 to Natural Resources Wales, Water Resources Permitting Team, Permitting Service, 29 Newport Road, Cambria House, Cardiff, CF24 0TP or by email to permittingconsultations@naturalresourceswales.gov.uk by no later than 19th November 2015.

For further advice about making a representation, a leaflet - 'Making your views count' is available free of charge on request from local Natural Resources Wales offices. Any general enquiries about this notice can be made by telephoning 03000 65 3000.

Signed: Anwen Davies
On behalf of Natural Resources Wales
Date: 22 October 2015

The bad one

Reaction score
Ta Benny as we, my club, have water above it, it might have an impact on it and the salmon runs past it, which on the Dee are struggling and have been for some time, I've passed on to our committee.

P

pointngo

Thanks Benny. I fish up there occassionally but a good mate of mine is up there regularly and is in a couple of clubs nearby that run several stretches of the Dee.. I'll pass it on to him.

Who the f**k comes up with an idea to put a hydro scheme on a migratory river!? Do they understand anything? Let's hope common sense prevails when there are much less destructive alternative designs for hydro schemes.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I must admit a debate on here very much changed my mind about these schemes , their green credentials are enormously suspect - they seem to be simply a political box ticking exercise designed to appear to be making an attempt to meet EU targets, they don't appear to generate much power while potentially having a profound effect on , not only the local environment , but also much further upstream and downstream.

P

pointngo

That's about it in a nutshell Benny.. there's little denying the downstream damage they cause, nevermind migratory routes, which I hope will be the reason this application will get thrown out.

The bad one

Reaction score
Quite Benny it's total Greenwash from the wanabe Greenies with a bit cash spare to appease their conscience. There's a deep irony there somewhere :eek:mg:

greenie62

Reaction score
Quite Benny it's total Greenwash from the wanabe Greenies with a bit cash spare to appease their conscience. There's a deep irony there somewhere :eek:mg:

Hey Phil,
Just watch what you're saying about Greenies! This one's currently in a group battling against the proliferation of MicroHydros on the Irwell as well as having a go at EA for not ensuring fish-passes are built / operated correctly.

I note that the Llangollen scheme abstracts the water then returns it about 100m downstream - just the other side of the White-water Tubing Co. and Paddleworks - a coincidence surely:eek:!?

Must confess surprise that the Upper Dee Federation haven't seen this one off already given that the major local clubs in the area will be affected.

The bad one

Reaction score
There's Greenies and there's wanabe Greenies Mike :D
Welsh Dee Trust are on it and encouraging all clubs to object to it btw. As you know I don't game fish, so know little of the Dee above Bangor. But others I know do know it and are better placed than me to put in strong objections based on that area knowledge. That said there are a few things I've noticed in the whole rush for micro hydro that appear to have slipped through the net particularly on mixed (game and coarse) rivers.