No car

flightliner

Reaction score
My car is in the garage for a repair. It wont be ready untill teusday at the earliest, it cost me my day on the Trent last friday and in the meantime I,m feeling rather lost, unable to get around and fishing is almost out of the question----- How would you cope without yours???.

robtherake

Reaction score
Makes me feel like someone cut off my legs! Seriously, I don't mind too much, but the thought of using public service to get about makes me shudder. Taxis aren't that much more expensive these days, anyway.

As far as fishing's concerned, the only freshwater fishing within walking distance is the little beck that exits on Saltburn beach, where there are a few small trout to be had and nothing else. Shore fishing - compared to the cod-rich 70s - is a complete waste of time, as the local fishing boats almost come close enough for you to read their name with the naked eye - I've seen boats with nets out at an estimated 200yds from the beach. :mad:

wanderer

Reaction score
Fast car fanatic, got two high powered Volvos, super tuned, one ex police, they are like my pets, loved, couldnt be with out them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
How would you cope without yours???

I am pretty lucky in that I have Avon Springs just about 3 minutes in the car from my home, so even I could walk that, with sufficient stops in between . . . . .

http://www.fishingfly.co.uk/

As for not having a car?

No way, I keep one in Aberdeen where I work and have my own car at home for the weekends.

In addition to those I have my little MG that lives in the garage and only comes out in the Summer and only then if it is not raining . . . . .

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Lucky in one way, only live five minutes walk from the ribble.so could always get along there as I'm a member of the local club.
It's more game fishing in summer, but decent chub and grayling trotting in winter.
Could fish lower down river using my bus pass.
Bus pass is very handy, me and the wife have at least one day a week out with it.
Think the bus services are kept going by the passes, bet ninety per cent of users use one after ten o clock in the morning.
I'd struggle to get to the Stillwater fishery I joined this year, would need a car to get there.
Been fishing that twice a week since joining in April, would miss that a lot lovely place, really peaceful and quite, wish I'd found it years ago.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
That would be a dang nightmare .

I dont walk good althou i try to keep going working , but walking with the fishing gear to even the closest canal only a matter of a few hundred yards is a non starter .

Had to give up the golf beacuse of the problems it was causing so car is essential .

The public transport around here is dire very poor bus service with best part of a mile to the first bus stop that takes me anywhere i want/need to go and then it is filthy and stinks full of the tribal invaders gob all over the place as well no wonder TB is making a comeback ..

PG ...

john step

Reaction score
Not possible with all the junk I carry. However if I really had to I could walk to a club lake and maybe get an electric bike to one or two more with my multi piece travel rods.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Even with a free old bu66ers bus pass I probably only use it twice a year - to get home and then back to the garage when I take the car in for a service...................

robertroach

Reaction score
If my car is being repaired I always get a free loan car. Couldn't do without!

robertroach

Reaction score
It's only a Ford, John. No pretensions to be anything better, just that my garage offers a free loan car if you book it in well ahead.

lambert1

Reaction score
Mine had to be scrapped a few weeks back and I really miss it. I have been lent a car by our mechanic friend, whilst he finds me another one (within a certain budget!) but it is very clean inside with multiple air fresheners and I doubt he would like it back smelling of wet fishy landing net or potent cheese paste! I have borrowed the wife's car once, but she moans about the smell of the landing net when it is hanging in the garage, so a successful trip for me might mean a red card when I got home. I am not one who changes cars regularly and had my previous one for 11 years and had got packing my fishing gear down to a fine art (it was a Nissan Micra). I am looking forward to having one that is mine again and that I can fill with my own familiar items:D

terry m

Reaction score
Not sure that I want to contemplate being without a car.

The downside of living in rural areas is the dreadful public transport.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Mine had to be scrapped a few weeks back and I really miss it. I have been lent a car by our mechanic friend, whilst he finds me another one (within a certain budget!) but it is very clean inside with multiple air fresheners and I doubt he would like it back smelling of wet fishy landing net or potent cheese paste! I have borrowed the wife's car once, but she moans about the smell of the landing net when it is hanging in the garage, so a successful trip for me might mean a red card when I got home. I am not one who changes cars regularly and had my previous one for 11 years and had got packing my fishing gear down to a fine art (it was a Nissan Micra). I am looking forward to having one that is mine again and that I can fill with my own familiar items:D

I've had one of these for many years - although I mainly fish rivers traveling light the stink bag is left in the car for the net and mat during transit. Never a smelly car, and since I retired my wife and I share the same car..........

qtaran111

Reaction score
I don't own a car and do all my fishing via public transport and Shanks's Pony.

I sometimes envy the car drivers and the amount of gear (****) it allows you to take and the freedom to explore more out of the way places, but having no car does mean you have to get creative.

First is the research to seek out stretches of rivers, canals or stillwaters within manageable walking distance of the nearest station and then the hardest part: cutting down the gear to the bear essentials. This is probably the hardest part and I still take too way much.

Here's my gear packed from a few weeks ago:

IMG_4233-L.jpg

Rod bag with float & feeder rods (with reels attached) and landing net handle inside plus carp rod, landing net & mat strapped to outside. Then my rucksack carries seat, rod pod, scales, catapult, bite alarms, terminal tackle and bait. Oh yeah and a cheese sandwich and a kitkat :)

peytr

Reaction score
Had to look up the meaning of "shanks pony" thereby proving the educational value of this forum :)

Anyhow: I'm working on an easy way of transporting light fishing gear on my bicycle. Yesterday I had a bicycle tour with the girlfriend and it struck me how many nice fishing sites I can easily reach by bike, as opposed to car (jams, parking etc). I have the luck to have an endless number of fishing waters in a radius of 5 to 10 km.

So yesterday made a plan for a crate on the bike and a rod holder to transport a spinning or fly rod.

robertroach

Reaction score
Well done Qtaran for getting all that stuff so neatly packed away. How do you get a seat in that rucksack?
I end up with a mountain of stuff in the boot and a huge heavy load to carry to my swim. I keep thinking I will cut down the amount of stuff, but I always end up with rods, umbrella, keepnet, chair and loads of other stuff in a rucksack.

qtaran111

Reaction score
Good question :)

The seat is this one Shakespeare Mobile which is sturdier than it looks and just about fits but does reduce the amount of bait and tackle I can fit. Might need a new solution...