Hello from Downunderer...

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Hello all. A little about me. Fishing all my life, mainly coarse fishing, with a passion for pike and a little trout and sea fishing on the side. Grew up in Windsor, Berkshire. Learnt the trade on the Thames and Virginia Waters.

Later in life moved to London, the Midlands and Devon. Not surprisingly, got more in to sea fishing with the last move, then heavily in to kayak fishing.

In 2012, I moved to New Zealand which can only be described as a fishing paradise. Just recently swapped the kayak for a jet ski which has opened up a whole new world. I'm aware that jet skis don't have the best reputation, but I'm pretty sensible - most of the time! Main target species are snapper and kingfish which get very big and there's no shortage of them either.

In winter, spend much of my time fishing for trout as sea conditions can be unpredictable. Although New Zealand has some of the best trout fishing in the world, not where I live. I'm pretty much limited to one venue which contains some big fish. It's a hard place to fish for various reasons and is any method. I have resorted to pike-style tactics with big baits which has proved very successful. I've come full circle!

Not much coarse fishing over here, but there's more than enough other stuff to keep me occupied!

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Kia ora!
Have a go for them Kahawai (I think that's the name).
Mussel freelined around some structure is bags of fun.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm on holiday in NZ at the moment staying in Mairangi Bay in the North Island. Went across to Waiheki Island, just off Auckland yesterday for a whiz around and ate some fresh King Fish for lunch....just about the best fish I've tasted and caught that morning..wine not too bad either !

NZ is certainly beautiful - the bit I've seen anyway..........Spoilt for choice with virgin waters from what I can see !

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Kia ora!
Have a go for them Kahawai (I think that's the name).
Mussel freelined around some structure is bags of fun.

I catch kahawai fairly frequently, although I don't tend to target them. They will readily take lures and are much like mackerel in the UK in terms of behaviour, but get a lot bigger. They fight like stink!

Here's one I caught earlier.

P1060028.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

I'm on holiday in NZ at the moment staying in Mairangi Bay in the North Island. Went across to Waiheki Island, just off Auckland yesterday for a whiz around and ate some fresh King Fish for lunch....just about the best fish I've tasted and caught that morning..wine not too bad either !

NZ is certainly beautiful - the bit I've seen anyway..........Spoilt for choice with virgin waters from what I can see !

Enjoy your trip! You have to get out fishing! Glad you liked the kingie, here's one I caught earlier. A fairly average size fish by local standards (!), but my first legal one from a kayak, so I was pretty happy.

P8_zps770b258d.jpg

P

pointngo

Welcome to the forum mate... we can only dream of the fishing you have.

Always interesting to see the species from around the world as well. :)

Chevin

Reaction score
I catch kahawai fairly frequently, although I don't tend to target them. They will readily take lures and are much like mackerel in the UK in terms of behaviour, but get a lot bigger. They fight like stink!

Here's one I caught earlier.

P1060028.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:49 ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 ----------

Enjoy your trip! You have to get out fishing! Glad you liked the kingie, here's one I caught earlier. A fairly average size fish by local standards (!), but my first legal one from a kayak, so I was pretty happy.

P8_zps770b258d.jpg

The king fish looks pretty much like this Samson fish from Western Australia. 25kgs is a pretty regular size here and they are very similar to the amberjack. They are tremendous fighters and would be a great opponent when you are in a kayak.

4tfo.jpg

Welcome to Fishing Magic, I hope you enjoy yourself here.

mightyboosh

Reaction score
Nice one. We don't get samson fish here unfortunately, but kingies are enough of a challenge. Once upon a time I could only dream of a fish giving me a run for my money on 50 lb class tackle and the big kings certainly do that! Nothing is a forgone conclusion after a you hook up.

I am enjoying FM, thanks. Believe it or not, it's nice reading about pike, bedchairs and brollies!