Sleeping on the Job

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Sleeping on the Job

http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=18157
thumbnail.php

The best riposte to this article will win a Fishing Magic Hoodie (L) and will be featured 'out front'.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
The best riposte to this article will win a Fishing Magic Hoodie (Large) and be featured on the leading page.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
These days I don't combine my fishing with sleeping.

I was never one really for sleeping with my rods out and baited and leaving it to bite alarms to waken me if and when necessary.

So, I tend to fish into the first few hours of real darkness and then bring my rods in for a few hours sleep.

Then refreshed I am awake a couple of hours before dawn to re-bait, re-cast and begin fishing again.

I too fished with monkey climbers and foil indicators and stayed awake in the hopes of catching, but I think that modern advances in bite alarms, and repeaters have made a lot of that wholly unnecessary.

wanderer

Reaction score
No riposte from me Cliff, totally agree with what you are saying, you missed the tethered carp as the drunk staggers out of his pitor the ten other campers lines the fish has gone through, bravo my friend.

thecrow

Reaction score
Yet another dig at modern Carp fishing, why? Are anglers not allowed to choose how they fish without constant sniping about the way that they do?

I challenge anyone to say that they have never ever dropped off during a night fishing session.

Perhaps a modern Carp angler should write an article about methods employed in those wonderful days when every angler was perfect, I think the rose tinted glasses need to come off for some.

wanderer

Reaction score
Yet another dig at modern Carp fishing, why? Are anglers not allowed to choose how they fish without constant sniping about the way that they do?

I challenge anyone to say that they have never ever dropped off during a night fishing session.

Perhaps a modern Carp angler should write an article about methods employed in those wonderful days when every angler was perfect, I think the rose tinted glasses need to come off for some.
There was no golden days, it was all hard work and lots of blanks on waters with very few carp in, chances are if you went to sleep you would lose a fish of your dreams and Barbell fishing, the rod as well, it didnt happen. A young pal of mine recently had a ten consecutive night, day, session on one of our harder pits fished the catch window, totally conscious, reeled in and slept the day, the correct way, he blanked, but he holds the lake record at over 40, a fish so easily he could have missed.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
...and it's got nothing to do with 'the golden days', Crow, ol' boy. I'm not harping on about split cane and Mitchell 300s; I'm talking about the very practice of modern carping i.e. slinging out the traps then purposefully going to bed! These guys are missing SO much - the stuff of which memories and experience are made. They don't know it and they never will, but those of us who used to fish all night long - right until the sun rose and beyond - will undoubtedly have richer memories than those who habitually get their heads down.

The bad one

Reaction score
I too fished with monkey climbers and foil indicators and stayed awake in the hopes of catching, but I think that modern advances in bite alarms, and repeaters have made a lot of that wholly unnecessary.
Ah but Peter we were 50 years younger then and when we weren't fishing we were partying all night and all the following day. Oh how easily and conveniently we forget the misspent youth :D
Give me 100 DBa bite alarms, a good bedchair and bag to Eyes on storks (with or without the drugs....joking) for night fishing any day of the season.

thecrow

Reaction score
Well there you go, Crow! Write your article and WIN A FANTASTIC FM HOODIE!

Cant do that it might include something that I read recently that almost amounted to gorge baiting

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

There was no golden days, it was all hard work and lots of blanks on waters with very few carp in, chances are if you went to sleep you would lose a fish of your dreams and Barbell fishing, the rod as well, it didnt happen. A young pal of mine recently had a ten consecutive night, day, session on one of our harder pits fished the catch window, totally conscious, reeled in and slept the day, the correct way, he blanked, but he holds the lake record at over 40, a fish so easily he could have missed.

Post deleted.

---------- Post added at 17:45 ---------- Previous post was at 17:35 ----------

[/COLOR]
...and it's got nothing to do with 'the golden days', Crow, ol' boy. I'm not harping on about split cane and Mitchell 300s; I'm talking about the very practice of modern carping i.e. slinging out the traps then purposefully going to bed! These guys are missing SO much - the stuff of which memories and experience are made. They don't know it and they never will, but those of us who used to fish all night long - right until the sun rose and beyond - will undoubtedly have richer memories than those who habitually get their heads down.

Everything changes Cliff, sometimes for the better sometimes not, there are lots of things that I used to do at night that I don't/cant do now but best not go into that now I think :D

If the price that angling has to pay to keep youngsters coming into the sport which means more money in the sport and more tackle shops staying open is modern Carp angling I have no problem with it. would anglers sooner there were fewer coming into the sport than there are now just so that those anglers can have different memories to what they may have by sleeping at night?

Like it or not modern Carp fishing is the financial driver for angling, it is also responsible for many improvements in angling with tackle, methods and rig improvements, some of which are used by those that would like to see others fishing in methods of yesteryear, its here to stay I hope as without it angling will die off as todays anglers die off.

---------- Post added at 18:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:45 ----------

---------- Post added at 18:52 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

Those were the days when rods were made like this.

Fishing Rods Aka Angling - British Path�

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Opinions Mr Crow, on what is fishing and what is camping with a fishing rod, do i like it, no but that is my opinion and like you, i will voice it.

thecrow

Reaction score
Opinions Mr Crow, on what is fishing and what is camping with a fishing rod, do i like it, no but that is my opinion and like you, i will voice it.

I am not about to get involved in a slanging match with you as I have a feeling you have done that kind of thing on forums before, you of course are entitled to an opinion, it doesn't mean that it is correct.

Finished

wanderer

Reaction score
I dont do slanging matches old pal, and you are right i have voiced my opinions on forums before and got thrown off, if we dont agree we dont, its a bit like 20/20 cricket and test cricket, ones the proper game and the other is something completely different and simply feeds the needs of people who dont have the attention span for the real thing and look for an easier substitute but it aint the same.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I'm 64 and never used any electronic alarm when fishing in 50 years.

Anyone else?

Ps. The great dane down the road is noticing the cold. Just bought it a thermo hoodie for £2.45.

Unmarked so added FM in black pen.

Keith M

Reaction score
I used to do a lot of touch ledgering right through the night for Barbel and I sometimes found it hard to keep my eyes open especially after a long watch in the MET office, I often dozed off and was awaken suddenly by the line tightening across my finger and I had usually automatically lifted into the fish before I was fully awake.

I was lucky that I hadn't lost a single rod or fish because of it LOL.

Now that I'm becoming an old codger I only fish till around 10 or 11pm at the latest and no longer fish right through the nights LOL.

Keith

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
I used to do a lot of touch ledgering right through the night for Barbel and I sometimes found it hard to keep my eyes open especially after a long watch in the MET office, I often dozed off and was awaken suddenly by the line tightening across my finger and I had usually automatically lifted into the fish before I was fully awake.

I was lucky that I hadn't lost a single rod or fish because of it LOL.

Now that I'm becoming an old codger I only fish till around 10 or 11pm at the latest and no longer fish right through the nights LOL.

Keith
Tell the Crow what real night fishing is all about, only a Barbell angler would know , the attention span has to be total.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Give me a break, how many times does this this site need to go down the route of knocking Carp anglers ?

I have caught huge fish of every coarse species, I fish every method of coarse fishing, including long term Night fishing on hard waters.

30 Carp in in 110 acres, try that with your staying awake methods and as someone who has caught what is regard as Big Barbel, don't tell me that Barbel anglers don't sleep on Big rivers when Barbel fishing.

The modern alarms are 100% effective, unlike the Herons and Optonic's of a bygone era, so why not use them.

Again it's a chance to have a go at the drinking culture associated with modern angling, but it isn't just Carp fishing.

Some have said on this thread, they have never used an alarm, why does it upsets you so much ?

And this red herring about leaving you fishing tackle on display is complete rubbish, you just do not like the modern ways and feel you have to say something derogative.

I'm afraid we have been here before on Fishing Magic and it does you no favours.

Live and let live, get on with your own fishing and why not try the modern way ?

Bob