Eels caught in illegal French trade endure epic journeys to China

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Eels caught in illegal French trade endure epic journeys to China

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news_ev...ench-trade-endure-epic-journeys-to-china.html

thumbnail.php

The Asian appetite has a lot to answer for...

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
To say that Asians have 'catholic' tastes is the understatement of the year. If it moves, they'll eat it! (Please, no PC comments) During treks and elephant rides through Thailand forests a few years back, my party remarked upon the total lack of wildlife. Our guide, Ng, said simply "We've eaten it all"

bennygesserit

Reaction score
To say that Asians have 'catholic' tastes is the understatement of the year. If it moves, they'll eat it! (Please, no PC comments) During treks and elephant rides through Thailand forests a few years back, my party remarked upon the total lack of wildlife. Our guide, Ng, said simply "We've eaten it all"

6. FORUM POSTING/MEMBERSHIP RULES
It is a condition of membership of our forums that you do not;
1. Post or transmit anything unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, libellous, threatening, offensive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, indecent, of a bickering nature or invasive of a member’s or of the Admin teams privacy. Posts should not be inflammatory or discriminate on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability or race. This includes without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any applicable law.
Persistent posting of an irrelevant, disruptive or fragmented nature may result in the expulsion of any member, and the decision as to what may or may not be deemed irrelevant, disruptive or fragmented will be that of the administrators.
2. Download any file posted by any other user if you know, or reasonably ought to know, that the file cannot legally be distributed in such manner.
3. Post all or part of any private message or e mail without the prior agreement of both the sender and the recipient or disclose any member’s private contact details without prior agreement.
4. Post or transmit any material of any kind which violates or infringes upon the rights of any other person, including material which is an invasion of any privacy or publicity rights or which is protected by copyright, trade mark or any other proprietary right, or derivative works with respect thereto, without first obtaining permission from the owner or relevant right holder.
5. Post or transmit any material of any kind which contains a virus or other harmful component.
6. Have more than one FishingMagic membership valid at any one time. In the event more than one name is registered we will remove both until a reasonable explanation is provided.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Thank you for your very sensitively expressed comment, Benny. God forbid I caused 'offence'...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thank you for your very sensitively expressed comment, Benny. God forbid I caused 'offence'...

I dont want to argue with you but you have deleted several of my comments, and those of others ,for very tenuous reasons. Similarly you have banned other very prolific members for the most innocent of remarks.

You are the editor of the best fishing forum around , you need to be impartial , you need to set an example and follow the terms and conditions , you need to stop using the forum to fulfil your own agenda(s).

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Please stop deleting comments including this one unless you have something to hide

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Have you spent much time in an Asian country, Benny?

have you read the terms and conditions Cliff ?
Please show me where any of the posts of mine that you have deleted contravene those conditions, please explain why you are deleting so many of my posts, and then please apply the same rules to all equally and fairly.

You have already said you don't like my politics is that the reason - again please thoroughly read the terms and conditions , or to quote you from the Martin Gay thread "please go back and read them properly".

or to quote you again

" in a country where the truth is largely hidden and dissenting voices routinely hushed, I feel that I have made my point"

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Benny: As editor i.e. one who edits, I will delete posts which are grounded in incorrect information and liable to attract further posts - all of which would then be based on that same incorrect information. This is why I deleted a post pertaining to the wrong set of meeting-minutes a few weeks back (see Martin Gay - Here's the Evidence) I do not and will not censor opinions or views and the like. A comment you made on the same (MG) subject a couple of weeks ago was clearly inflammatory and designed as a wind-up: you asked "Is it a public water or a private syndicate?" (or something very similar) when you knew FULL WELL that neither Eddie or I have any idea about the water's whereabouts. To have left this silly remark in could have spawned a whole new thread of misled posts. The answer is 1) to keep silly remarks to yourself and 2) stop being so politically correct. Political correctness is actually very dangerous in threatening to stifle free expression. You can keep schtum and be trodden upon if you like, Benny.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny: As editor i.e. one who edits, I will delete posts which are grounded in incorrect information and liable to attract further posts - all of which would then be based on that same incorrect information. This is why I deleted a post pertaining to the wrong set of meeting-minutes a few weeks back (see Martin Gay - Here's the Evidence) I do not and will not censor opinions or views and the like. A comment you made on the same (MG) subject a couple of weeks ago was clearly inflammatory and designed as a wind-up: you asked "Is it a public water or a private syndicate?" (or something very similar) when you knew FULL WELL that neither Eddie or I have any idea about the water's whereabouts. To have left this silly remark in could have spawned a whole new thread of misled posts. The answer is 1) to keep silly remarks to yourself and 2) stop being so politically correct. Political correctness is actually very dangerous in threatening to stifle free exprnession. You can keep schtum and be trodden upon if you like, Benny.

I am doing my best not to be trodden on now - please read the terms and conditions of the site, you have indeed censored my opinions , which you obviously disagree with , several times, in fact you have just done it in this very thread.
However I reposted exactly the same text and now it appears to be ok, by what logic are you operating?

There are many posts on many threads that are wind ups mine wasnt (not this time , it simply showed inexperience ) , all I am saying is please apply your deletions equally and not based on my politics which you admit here ,and which you have told me privately, that you vehemently disagree with.

If you want to discuss politics I am happy to but this is an angling site so all but angling politics are banned.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Think I better leave again quick, ten of my post have been deleted already and I only came back last night, I talk ***** just like Corker and Lord. Paul. Been trying to get in touch with them both and can't . Think their both dead, Corker will be soon judging by his alternative jokes

Gone again kiss my arse xx

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Think I better leave again quick, ten of my post have been deleted already and I only came back last night, I talk ***** just like Corker and Lord. Paul. Been trying to get in touch with them both and can't . Think their both dead, Corker will be soon judging by his alternative jokes

Gone again kiss my arse xx

Don't panic Del, S-Kippy may be HMRC but their record of prosecutions means you should be able to extort money for a few years yet :D:D

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Benny: As editor i.e. one who edits, I will delete posts which are grounded in incorrect information and liable to attract further posts - all of which would then be based on that same incorrect information. This is why I deleted a post pertaining to the wrong set of meeting-minutes a few weeks back (see Martin Gay - Here's the Evidence) I do not and will not censor opinions or views and the like.

You are confusing the roles of editor and Moderator.
You produce and edit articles for the site in your role as editor you also moderate the forum if posts breach the terms and conditions.
That does not ,however mean you can delete member's posts simply because you believe them to be wrong or off topic -

a) your belief is your personal opinion and cannot be proven ( the MG topic being the perfect example )
b) the only posts the other mods delete are those that very obviously breach the T&Cs usually because they are political.

If posts were deleted because they were "grounded in incorrect information" then half the close season , otter and fishing posts would similarly have to be deleted.
It looks like you are warning Philip on the MG thread that you are about to delete his posts.

I love this forum , at lunch I read it before even the sports pages , a lot of that is to do with the way its run - no politics and stick to the T&Cs that means almost all the content is fishing.

Last edited:

salisburyneil

Reaction score

Hi Cliff,
I felt a little uncomfortable reading the above and despite being warned not to comment i will.
Now i am white british so its possible on reflection that my emotional reaction could be because of the author not the content, so i text a couple of friends who are part of the group to which you refer. They also felt uncomfortable with your comment.

Perhaps it identifies a training need to help you appropriately fulfil your role as editor?
Regards Neil

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,
I felt a little uncomfortable reading the above and despite being warned not to comment i will.
Now i am white british so its possible on reflection that my emotional reaction could be because of the author not the content, so i text a couple of friends who are part of the group to which you refer. They also felt uncomfortable with your comment.

Perhaps it identifies a training need to help you appropriately fulfil your role as editor?
Regards Neil
:eek:mg: Here we go again from the hand wringers. The Chinese have a saying if it has four legs we eat it unless it's a table. If it flys we eat it unless it's an aircraft or some such. There are no birds on Malta, why? Because they all get eaten during migration.
These people felt uncomfortable? Well tell them to get their act together and concentrate on living instead of looking for something to be offended by.

Did you know there is a Japanese dish called 'barbarians chicken'? named after the Portuguese gaiijin (sp.,foreigners). They were white like me. I'm mortally offended and most uncomfortable, who do I complain to?

FFS.

salisburyneil

Reaction score
Hi Nobby,
its clear we have differing views and we won't see eye to eye on this, im just giving an opinion thats obviously provoked a really strong reaction from you and one you disagree with.
I dont agree you can tell someone what to be offended by and what not to be offended by

Regards the 'hand wringer'

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Thanks, Nobby.

I suspect you've been around long enough to remember 'humour', 'jokes', 'plain speaking'' and 'free speech'.

SalisburyNeil: I guess you're under 30. Feel free to be 'offended' - it's your free choice (THINKS.....actually it's not...) Meanwhile, treat yourself to a couple of hours watching all the Pat Condell Youtube clips.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

SalisburyNeil: there's NOTHING 'strong' about Nobby's reaction at all - he's just 'normal' and 'sensible' and 'well-grounded' and 'male' and HONEST.

salisburyneil

Reaction score
Hi Cliff,

Nearer 50 than 40 unfortunately,

And people wonder why theres not much diversity in Angling participation.

Regards Neil

thecrow

Reaction score
The fact is that lots of animals that are endangered are that way because of the trade that goes on with their bodies either whole or parts of them, its another fact that most of these animal parts end up in Asia and particularly China.

Tigers are poached for parts that are used in Chinese medicine

Elephants poached for their ivory.

Bears treated inhumanely for their bile

Just three of the top of my head there are lots more, and now Eels join the numbers just because the Chinese want to eat them, sorry but if anyone doesn't want to be offended then stop trying to defend the indefensible.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Fortunately we are beginning to see real integration with one or two Polish clubs amalgamating with British clubs, but the systematic rape of thousands of our lakes, pits and rivers by the many less-scrupulous Eastern Europeans is not likely to endear us to such people is it? I'd duck-out now if I were you, Neil :)
And ‘diversity’? Well, there’s coarse anglers, match anglers, sea anglers, game anglers, Northerners, Southern ‘wimps’, Taffs, Latvians, Brummies, Paddies, Jocks, Geordies, Scousers, Cockneys, Essex Man, Poles,– all of whom count anglers among their ranks: how much diversity do you want, Neil?