Greatd Day, No Monsters

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
On Saturday i fished the lower Itchen with my eldest son Tom, and a friend of his, also called Tom.

Got there just after 7am, and was set up and fishing by 7.45. It was very mild, very light wind, with no rain until around 8.30, the rain got very heavy for a while around 10.30 but by 11.15 time the sun was out for a while.

The fishing couldn't have been better, My sons mate had never caught a Grayling, and ended the day with 29, and 17 Trout.

My son Tom, had 43 Grayling, 9 trout, 1 Chub and an Eel.

I managed to end the day with around 60 Grayling, and 11 Trout, i gave up counting at 50 and headed off to find some Roach around 1pm. The rain had returned and was steady the whole afternoon, very dark clouds, and the wind became stronger, but nothing like the forecast had given.

Couldn't buy a Roach, had several more Grayling on Bread and a couple of Trout. Only two other anglers there, and they fished the car park weir having Grayling and Trout.

We didn't have any monsters, we all had Grayling to around the pound and half mark, with the average being around 12ozs to a pound, and the usual small ones here and there.

Great day out, helped i think by the lack of anglers fishing, not sure if they just didn't turn up because of the forecast, or if the fishery just wasn't booked up.

greenie62

Reaction score
Sounds like you had a fun day there, Ray - Hope the 2 Toms enjoyed it too!

Which section of the LIF was it? and how much extra water was it carrying?

Have you got a theory as to where the roach went? - or was it just a 'wrong place - wrong time' day?

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Greenie,

The section is the one the lads go for the FM fish in's. The two Toms enjoyed the day, but i did point out its not always like that, they will find out when we go back in the colder weather.

I thought the river was a little low, and the flow didn't seem as fast as it has been at other times, but maybe it was just me.

I haven't got a clue where the Roach had gone. Had them there before and tried the swims that i knew, but nothing. Would have fished until around 6.30 time but i had other things happening that night, so only fished until 4.30.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Did you use Tom Tom to find your way there ?

Yes, i gave up following S-kippy's sat nav after Blenheim, I'm sure he has shares in oil.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Nice one, Clarkey. You clearly missed the worst of the weather cos it was filthy round my way.

I see you've passed your eel catching skills on .

We were very lucky with the weather, yes it was raining but the wind didn't get to the heights the forecast gave.

As for the Eel's, someone has to carry on ;)