''Derailing Threads''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Why is there a tendency on here for a few to deliberately derail threads with nonsensical posts.

Frankly it goes right over my head. I thought ''Bait Box'' was the appropriate place for such behaviour.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Why is there a tendency on here for a few to deliberately derail threads with nonsensical posts.

Frankly it goes right over my head. I thought ''Bait Box'' was the appropriate place for such behaviour.

Sometimes some threads should be in bait box, but some members think it's right to put them else where. I have derailed a thread as it was Nonsensical and should have been in bait box, and i said so in the thread.

It's one thing i think the Mods should sort out, if they feel a thread is in the wrong place they can move it and have done before. The mods do a good job, it can't be easy keeping an eye on the like's of Morespiders now can it,,,,,:wh

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Little wonder that some may hesitate to post on here. You guy's are just validating my initial post!! So very sad, with little to commend it.
I take it that you would rather it just sat there with no use or input at all. Whilst a bit of OT banter may be just that It is doing no harm when there is little else being discussed, at least it gives Google a bit to keep the site up the listings that has got to be a good thing has it not.

PG...

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say that I do agree with Derek on this point.

Of course there is always room for humour in any thread but not when it totally derails a valid topic that could have gone further.

I do try to read each and every post as part of my scope as a moderator but the line is so very fine between a derailing post and just a humorous one.

to moderate on these occasions typically would be another case of, damned if we do and damned if we don't . . . . . .

A little restraint all around is called for maybe?

(bracing my self for the obvious "bondage" comments to come)

theartist

Reaction score
Isn't a witty post just the same as a joke comment when your'e down the pub? If the conversation is serious enough it will get back on topic soon enough.

Windy

Reaction score
Getting back on topic (see what I did there ;)) I'm not aware of any epidemic of thread disrupting in the proper fishing sections of the forum.

Sure, the odd humorous interjection here and there, but not a plague of it.

Baitbox is another matter :D

Morespiders

Reaction score
Getting back on topic (see what I did there ;)) I'm not aware of any epidemic of thread disrupting in the proper fishing sections of the forum.

Sure, the odd humorous interjection here and there, but not a plague of it.

Why your
Baitbox is another matter :D
Shut your gob Windy ???

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
For some of us, the idea of putting a smile on someone's face via comments on here is one of the biggest draws. I think, hope and believe I can speak for a lot of people when I say that that is the sole aim of a witty comment and that there is no intention to derail or disrupt anything.

It may just be my personality but I can't remember the last time I had a conversation of any kind that I didn't throw in a quip of some description at some point. It may just be me and even if it is I neither make nor offer any apology. It's how I get through life and I can think of very many worse personality traits.

Can't imagine anything much more bland and dispiriting than discussing even fishing at Gas Mark 9 serious without a bit of banter thrown in.

Whether you're a pessimist or an optimist doesn't affect the outcome, but the optimist has a far better time waiting FOR the outcome.

Beer, barbel and banter, that's my bag. You don't like it? Fine, shop elsewhere. Laters, Taters. :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not remotely bothered by a bit of banter, incidental (but at least vaguely related) anecdotes and asides etc. It often makes a forum more vibrant and enjoyable than one that is rigidly on topic. However, I do find that, sometimes, folks seem hell bent on interjecting, with totally unrelated rubbish, in an attempt to shut down a thread or stifle an ongoing debate or argument. I suspect that it's sometimes done with perfectly reasonable intent, when they perceive that something is ridiculous or getting out of hand. The problem there is that they seem to be acting as self appointed moderators. There's sometimes no harm in that, but there are ways and means that can be more appropriate.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Think you're very likely right there, Sam, but I'd agree with what others have said. Contributors usually put the discussion back on track. Why try to derail a thread? Surely to employ superior reasoning and logic to counter a stated position is the way to go?

I'm the first to admit I love the banter but the value and importance of free debate is too important to be undermined in that way and I, for one, would never entertain that.

I think most folks on here are pretty much the same and I thank them for it.

Best Regards :)