''Specimen hunter and single species''.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I get the impression that those definitions are treated with disdain by some anglers. In odd cases even described as ''sad''. Why should this be so?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not sure Derek. Maybe this is from anglers who are incapable of catching specimen fish by design themselves? To this day I will be targeting a certain species on any given day with hope of landing a ‘specimen’ (although my predominately single species quests, carp 60's and barbel 70's are behind me)....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In many cases I think it is down to the fact that some either do not have the time, energy or devotion to the pursuit of a single species so it is easier to criticise or mock . . . . . . .

Personally I have done the "specimen" and the single species (Carp in my case) for about a decade a piece and enjoyed every minute until I felt the need for a different challenge.

Angling is such a wide church that we will inevitably have a certain section who are always ready to mock others.

B

binka

I reckon it's retaliation derived from the carp angler's apparent love of the phrase "noddies" when referring to general all round, non-specimen anglers :eek:

Seriously though I have no idea why it should be, maybe just a plain inability to see any merit in something that others do?

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Do people even still use these terms ? To me these are labels that fell out of common use years ago. I dont carp fish,match fish,chase specimens or concentrate on a single species to the exclusion of all others. I'm just an angler.

Or noddy....depending on who I'm fishing with !

mike47

Reaction score
I'm with you Skippy. I just love to fish and being on the lakeside fishing on float or feeder gives me a lot of enjoyment. I have not caught any big 'specimens' on my return in the past 2 years, but have had a ball. (11lb mirror, 4lb bream being my pb's). To see my float slide away or the rod tip to wrench round is all the kick this noddy needs in my retirement. Tight lines all.

steve2

Reaction score
What annoys now with single species anglers is when they treat anything as rubbish. On the waters I fish bream because very few people fish for them are virtually treated as vermin.

wanderer

Reaction score
I reckon this is down to the Carp aglers mentality, nothing else but carp are worth catching. I suppose on carp gear accidental captures apart from Cats and Pike dont stand to put up much of a fight. I have had several serious periods when time permitted pursuing single species, my great love being Tench and Barbel, my dream fish would be a very large Rudd, big bream have driven men to near lunacy, Pike and Cats have given me some fun and blanks, Carp, its more about where i get them from rather than the size, it was great fun specimen angling, if you have the time, the money and the info, very satisfying. My message to the critics is, dont knock till you have tried it.

The bad one

Reaction score
You don't know the meaning of derision, try being a big bream angler for nearly 40 years, then you know. The carpheads get off lightly in comparison :D

wanderer

Reaction score
Sadly mate you are right, unfortunately these days many of the old venues have been de Breamed to make way for the Carp, what a pity, imagine how they would have grown with the input of all this bait, Queensford and Theale, i have no idea what there fate is, but back in the Alan Wilson days his exploits left the specimen world enthralled, bring back the mixed natural fisheries, i say.

terry m

Reaction score
80% of my fishing is spent targeting two particular species. I care not a jot what anyone says. I care even less what other peoples preferences or targets are, live and let live. After all it's only fishing for heavens sake.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
80% of my fishing is spent targeting two particular species. I care not a jot what anyone says. I care even less what other peoples preferences or targets are, live and let live. After all it's only fishing for heavens sake.

Quite. When all said & done it is only fishing and in light of what's going on in the world right now what anybody else thinks of how you choose to spend your time bankside really don't count for diddly. At least we still can.

wanderer

Reaction score
Correct, but we are not allowed to discuss that, nothing wrong passing some time talking about our little corner of a peaceful sport, call it therapy.

ciprinus

Reaction score
having spent time in Scotland and Wales as well as the south of England, the east and Cornwall (never been to Canada tho), i have picked up various traits from all those places as far as fishing goes and my rod holdall reflects this when i go out bankside. i am primarily a carp angler but at any given time i am likely to whip out the pole or the spinning rod or fly rod.
At a moments notice (if it is warranted) out will come the beachcaster or feeder rod.

i carry 4 x 13ft carp rods, 2 x fly rods, 1 x 11mtr pole, 1 x 3mtr whip, 1 x 9ft spinning rod, 2 x 11ft beachcasters, and last but not least 2x 11ft feeder rods including 2 extra tips for each.
you should see my bankstick bag :eek:

I AM NOT A NODDY. :D:D

wanderer

Reaction score
wouldnt like to be your caddy Jonno, that lot looks flamin eavy, Hee,Hee, ow you doing old buddy.

peterjg

Reaction score
This has been covered here before - it's such a shame that now so many anglers start off fishing for carp. They are under the impression that a carp angler is better and that anyone who deliberately fishes for say roach is a "noddy".

I used to fish mainly for carp and although I thoroughly enjoyed it I look back and realise that I missed out on a lot of other fishing especially during the summer months. Also big carp are not that hard to catch, certainly much easier than a big roach. Although I have never fished abroad I have managed 42 thirties and 3 forties. I am quite happy to be called a "noddy".

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I see all anglers as pleasure anglers, for the simple fact we go for the pleasure, you don't go fishing because you hate it. i.e., a match angler gets the thrill from winning, or out fishing his mate at the match. Specimen anglers getting PB's from different venues, etc etc.

I don't care what species anglers fish for, or what anglers think of me and what I fish for, as long as we all get what we want out of it, who cares.

Like most anglers I am happy to help another angler try to get the best from his fishing with any tips, thats what we do here on FM.

I draw the line at putting anglers in swims, with all the info they need to catch.

The best part of fishing is working it out for yourself, and getting the benefits.

Enjoy your fishing what ever you fish for, however you fish for it.

ciprinus

Reaction score
wouldnt like to be your caddy Jonno, that lot looks flamin eavy, Hee,Hee, ow you doing old buddy.

hahaha!! i dont actually carry it steve, i have a chrysler voyager with removable seats that i cram it all in, or i have a transit LWB hiCube stealth camper that will do the job too.
i am suffering a bit with withdrawal symptoms buddy as i am going thru self imposed banklesness like yourself till the weather turns round ;)
i may find myself down your way early next year for a spot of Billing bashing :guinness: :wh:wh

Last edited: