The Swim-Finder 'Stinker' - an occasional feature.

wanderer

Reaction score
Re: The Swim-Finder 'Stinker' - an occasional feature.

Could be one of the old Wellingboro pits, some where filled in when they built the Tesco store.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score

Oh, dear....another clue? 'A kids eel, hurt cork'.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score

Yes! I always knew we could count on a world famous drummer to get it right.
The next one will feature a location shift - big time.

For donkey's years, thousands of anglers drove down the old A13 and saw this wind-swept, god-forsaken quarry, but nobody thought to give it a try so, one day, I did. That first day I had a 13.4 then the 24lber on a whole herring. Within the hour I was threatened with a £1,000.00 fine if I was found there again because the site was being developed and security was paramount. For once, I complied and didn't return until I went for a rod-less visit the following Christmas. To my horror there was a group of pikers there and, apparently, they had permission. One of the favoured few (who wasn't there that day) was none other than Tony Corless who entertained us last month with his piking articles. Fish to 38lbs (THIRTY-EIGHT POUNDS) came out from that water. Within 12 months the earth-scrapers were in and laying the foundations for what is now Lakeside Shopping Emporium. They were kind enough to leave a bit of lake and, for a while, it continued to provide some decent piking. I had fish to 19.8 despite the hordes of crayfish that would strip your dead-bait and leave you to reel-in a skeleton! It was all a bit 'Tom 'n' Jerry....
Nowadays, 'Alexandra Lake' can be fished on day-ticket but - inevitably - it's been blessed with carp and catfish.

like I've said for the past 40 years - "If you find something good make the most of it: it won't last two minutes"

Well done, Keith M.

Keith M

Reaction score

Those Pike were something else; what a shame that the water is now only a shadow of how it was before.

Keith

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score

Keith: that lake contained rudd to die TWICE for...and record crucians. Thurrock (incredibly) was once the Angling Capital of the south-east; it was blessed with the most productive pits and quarries. Unfortunately it was just too close to London and all of the rubbish that city produced, and so Thurrock became the Capital's refuse tip. It is nothing less than tragic that so many clear, pristine waters were back-filled - often in a highly illegal way. The law stated (and may still state) that tipping had to take place during the hours of daylight, but at the Ham River Gravel Co's pits in Ockendon darkness was when the REAL action started. Sludge Gulpers carrying highly toxic chemical waste from May & Bakers, Dagenham, and Cunis Waste Disposal wagons, would stream into the site in bumper-to-bumper convoys throughout the night. I once found two drums of granulated cyanide floating in Moor Hall AC's main pool and, on another occasion, literally millions and millions of phials of barbituates dumped right next to the school fence. I suspect a few people got very wealthy at Ham River....

luisfisher

Reaction score

I don't understand this!