Tackle shops

grizzley81

Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first question and is based on my curiosity others might call it being nosey :D
My question is this. If you have several options for local tackle shops and you only go to one in particular why? I guess really it comes down what is most important to you about your local tackle shop that makes you go back is it the brands they stock the right bait or something else.

Seeing as I'm asking the question its only right I share my answer. For me when I moved several years ago at the top of my list was the owners local knowledge of the lakes and rivers and governing associations but what made me go back was the fact he would go out of his way to help or get what I was after if he did not stock it he was by no means the biggest shop but his level of service was great in comparison to other in my experience.

Tight lines

B

binka

I'm lucky in that I visit several reputable tackle shops when I'm working in different areas but without exception I always use my local for bait which is quality and a good price , I also buy the vast majority of my terminal gear there too which is where he makes his money.

He's not one to ask for venue advice as he caters for and is himself mainly a matchman but the craic is always good and I'm rarely out the shop in less than half an hour :)

Keith M

Reaction score
I prefer to use my local tackle shop because:

A) I think it's important to support your local tackle shop if you want them to survive.
B) Because he is a great source of local fishing info
C) Because he supports one of my clubs junior matches by donating prizes.
D) He is usually willing to match internet prices whenever he can.

I do occasionally buy tackle from elsewhere if my local shop can't get it for me, or if I can save a lot of cash, but 9 times out of ten I will buy it from my local shop.

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
I cant support the 2 local shops that are my area, one is closed half of the week during the winter so the bits I do get from there have to be got when I can, the other very rarely has what I need and a lot of the stock is stuff that I can find much much cheaper elsewhere, I don't mind paying a little more than internet prices as I realise that its a difficult time for dealers but I wont have the p!$$ taken.

I believe that its the tackle "manufacturers" that are not helping with the survival of tackle shops, just 2 small items I have purchased recently from the internet were 100 8mm rubber shock beads that cost under £3 the other was 150 swivels for under £4. How much would these have cost if the packet had a well known "manufacturers" name on the packet I hate to think.

I have been stung in the past when buying from the internet and I never use those dealers again, others such as the ones above I stick to.

steve2

Reaction score
To be honest I very rarely use any tackle shop these days because may shed already resembles one. My pike baits come from the fishmonger, most of my other baits from the farm shop.

rubio

Reaction score
There are 3 in my own town and I use the one where the bait is reliable.

john step

Reaction score
unfortunately the friendliest one in Louth has gone to the wall. I always tried to buy from there.
The biggest at Scunthorpe I try to avoid as there is an attitude there. I think the staff really think that being a shop assistant is beneath their ego.

Unless the shop is a small owner one I find this attitude prevalent.

I once waited patiently at the maggot counter at the now defunct Leslies of Luton while the assistant sorted some bait.
In walked a nationally known SPONSORED angler. The assistant ignored my presence and started fawning over the said celeb who was by the conversation getting his for free.
A piece of Anglo Saxon preceeded my departure. I never did go back.

Back in September this year a tackle dealer near Lincoln promised to ring me back ASAP regarding a couple of barbel rods. A reminder from me and further promises... Zilch.

Sometimes I think with the lack of business acumen many are their own worst enemies.

Meldrew moment vented I now feel better:wh

laguna

Reaction score
unfortunately the friendliest one in Louth has gone to the wall. I always tried to buy from there.
The biggest at Scunthorpe I try to avoid as there is an attitude there. I think the staff really think that being a shop assistant is beneath their ego.

Unless the shop is a small owner one I find this attitude prevalent.

I once waited patiently at the maggot counter at the now defunct Leslies of Luton while the assistant sorted some bait.
In walked a nationally known SPONSORED angler. The assistant ignored my presence and started fawning over the said celeb who was by the conversation getting his for free.
A piece of Anglo Saxon preceeded my departure. I never did go back.

Back in September this year a tackle dealer near Lincoln promised to ring me back ASAP regarding a couple of barbel rods. A reminder from me and further promises... Zilch.

Sometimes I think with the lack of business acumen many are their own worst enemies.

Meldrew moment vented I now feel better:wh

We stayed with some friends in Cleethorpes over the weekend John and that's gone bust too. I very nearly went to Louth over the weekend for a drive as well!!! :eek:mg:

It wasn't too many years ago that Bradford had 6 tackle shops within a few short miles, sadly only 2 now and the small ones struggling.

ciprinus

Reaction score
my local tackle shop is run by a knob, when i joined my club it was drummed in that F###ies was the club preferred shop and as such he offered a discount of 10% upon production of membership card. i needed bait and stuff so i drove the 12 miles to his shop, did the rounds and turned up at the counter with £50 or so of various bits, waited at a busy counter while he impressed a couple of his mates with his grasp on fly fishing tactics, now being a little naive i said "our club sec says you give 'insert club name' members a little discount, his answer was " i dont run a charity mate 'gaffaw' " so after getting over a little embarrassment at the rest of the patrons having a giggle i said oh ok how much is that lot, after he had rung it all up i said nice and walked out the shop.
now when i go in i spend as little as possible but he is as nice as pie ;)

terry m

Reaction score
In answer to the OP, what sways me is reliable local knowledge, good service and a smile with a bit of banter if time permits.

I am lucky to be within 15 minutes of Ringwood where two good tackle shops exist almost side by side.

grizzley81

Reaction score
There are definitely some bad ones about. One I had bad experience has long since closed. Long story short he said he would order a reel in for me and would take about 5 days after ordering for him to have it instock and once it arrived he would ring me and I could go pick it up and pay for it. 2 weeks passed and nothing so I phoned he said he had been to busy and forgot really apologized and said he would order that day. Another 2 weeks passed I heard nothing so I went in and he said he had changed his mind for what ever reason and went on talking to his buddies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I laugh at one of the shops I use. I used maggots for the first time for years and bought some tins of hemp as well. The shop is a mess, unopened, half open boxes everywhere, piles of stuff on the counter, its all over the place. The bloke always has forgotten to riddle his maggots, he has to riddle them as I buy them. but he is a good bloke, tries to please. The other two shops in the area are the exact opposite, everything is laid out, clean and orderly but I prefer Mr Couldn't Organize a ---- --'s shop. I could watch him all day trying to cope with life. Basil Fawlty sold his hotel and bought a tackle shop.

Apart from this I dont buy much and never online, car boots, junk shops, etc supply most of my gear. Its only a packet of hooks or split shot I buy about once or twice a year. I just fished out a old rod that cost me £10 to try next time I go fishing and it looks ideal for roach., why pay £50-£150. Not recommending it, it just suits me. I have boxes and boxes of stuff, line, umbrellas, rods, floats, the lot. All very cheap, shame really, I am not good for the tackle trade. I just cannot resist these bargains when I see them. Trying to clear some of it now, just put a job lot of rods in a auction.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
My nearest tackle shop is a twenty minute drive away, The one I always used closed about two years ago.
But it's in the same town that my daughter in law lives in so when I run her home I just call in.
He's a great bloke always helpful and if I want anything he hasn't got he will try his best to get it for me.
I won't buy online don't trust it. Besides I want to hold what I'm buying, and have a proper look at it.

robtherake

Reaction score
I'm lucky (or cursed) to have a tackle shop at the end of our street, just a short walk away. They're lovely people, will go out of their way to get what you want, and can usually match or beat any online price (although stuff that's ordered can take a while to turn up as they usually wait until there's a full order before sending for it.) If I need anything they don't have or can't get I go online. I often drop in for a chat halfway through my morning dog walk; it's that kind of place.

I can't be doing with those places that are full of sneering cronies all trying to out-lie one another, while the owner makes no effort to serve you until he's finished guffawing with the "regulars," most of whom spend more time in the tackle shop than at the waterside. It's intimidating for a seasoned angler, let alone a beginner or a kid. And rude; very bloody rude. No need.

Chevin

Reaction score
Many years ago, when I was living in Luton, I went to a tackle shop I had never visited before. it was Christmas Eve and I wanted some odds and sods for Boxing Day. It was pouring with rain and I had bought a present for a nephew and the wrapping was soaked. When I got into the shop, I put the parcel on the counter and the owner snatched it up and initially I thought he was angry because I had put the wet parcel on his nice clean glass counter. However, he ripped the wet wrapping off the parcel and re-wrapped it in clean dry brown paper. With that little bit of kindness he scored a new customer.

ciprinus

Reaction score
I can't be doing with those places that are full of sneering cronies all trying to out-lie one another, while the owner makes no effort to serve you until he's finished guffawing with the "regulars," most of whom spend more time in the tackle shop than at the waterside. It's intimidating for a seasoned angler, let alone a beginner or a kid. And rude; very bloody rude. No need.

that describes my local to a tee, the only reason he gets my trade is that he is the nearest by about ten mile.
there is an alternative in the next village but it is initially a pet shop with a small area put over to tackle that looks like she stocked it in the 70s to please her old man (and hasnt flicked a duster over it since) but she is always good for the maggots. :p:p

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Actually Robt, one of the a fore mentioned shops I wrote about is a bit like that. Cronies always in there and they always make you feel a bit unwelcome, I don't know why. Just one of those things and the owner is always a bit offish if I buy something small, like its an insult or something. I don't buy anything there now, look around occasionally.
Mr Falwty's shop is much more accommodating, he might fall over all his rubbish laying around trying to get to the maggot fridge and he's likely to spill half of them onto the floor riddling but, he insists on not selling me unriddled maggots. he does make the effort. And I left my seat in there once and he came running down the road after me with it; Basil Fawlty style. So, its all about the character of the shop and the owner, its a big part of it.

Last edited: