Don't be afraid to AGREE or DISAGREE...Fishing fact or pure guesswork?

laguna

Reaction score
This should be fun! :D

What do you believe to be true that others doubt? Equally what do you think or know to be false that others say is true?

Here's a few to start things off...

# Fish can be caught on a static bare hook. I know this to be true because it once happened to me.
# Synthetic and artificial baits and flavours are poor substitutes for the real thing. I know this to be true because fish are acutely aware of the difference even if the buying angler isn't.
# Maggots can be killed and preserved for up to 3 years without freezing. I know this is true because, well I just know!
# Double handled reels are **** and were only invented to stop spool imbalance when fishing without the anti-reverse on. I know this to be false because they were invented for anal tackle tarts :eek:mg:

Over to you...

robtherake

Reaction score
#4 - I hate reel wobble when you're reeling in from a long way out and double handles do a good job of killing it. Not fussed, though. take it or leave it.

#1 - I've caught lots of small rudd on small gilt hooks, baitless (initially by accident.)

Chevin

Reaction score
#1 I have had plenty of fish take a moving bare hook but much prefer to use a bait on static hooks. I have NEVER set out to catch fish on bare hooks.

#2 on some occasions artificial scan be better than natural baits. I often found a bar spoon to be the best means of taking perch in heavily weeded rivers.

#4 I do agree with you as regards to double handed reels, I much prefer single handed fixed spool reels despite preferring to back wind rather than relying on the clutch.

B

binka

Contrary to their fast water characteristics I catch a lot of barbel, and often the larger ones, by fishing completely slack/still areas of the river and I believe they have taken on the carps trait by using "patrol routes" at certain times of the day having associated these areas as collecting points for food items.

When paired up close to spawning pike can be virtually inseparable at times and a male will practically follow a hooked female into the landing net.

4lb plus perch are simply a myth and the longest running conspiracy in Angling, they do not in reality exist.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
4lb plus perch are simply a myth and the longest running conspiracy in Angling, they do not in reality exist.

Made me smile when I read this. It seems we are both hell bent on finding this mythical legend. Having either caught or seen 5 just a few ozs off 4lb in the past few months, I've come to the conclusion they stop eating when they reach that size.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Contrary to their fast water characteristics I catch a lot of barbel, and often the larger ones, by fishing completely slack/still areas of the river and I believe they have taken on the carps trait by using "patrol routes" at certain times of the day having associated these areas as collecting points for food items.

When paired up close to spawning pike can be virtually inseparable at times and a male will practically follow a hooked female into the landing net.

I’m with you 100% on that one Steve. I’ve caught many of my largest barbel in the slacks and backwaters , in fact it is quite probable that you have a better chance of catching a large fish from a deep slower swim than the fast areas and weir pools. Not because the large fish are not in residence but because there will be so many smaller fish about.....

PS Double handled reels were invented for the sole purpose of pi$$ing Skip off.............

laguna

Reaction score
If you foul hook a shark in the tail and drag it backwards it will suffocate. You can get your friend to revive it by dragging it forwards again forcing water through its mouth and out of its gills.

You can also revive a drown fly by covering it in salt.

One of these things I have done and know to be true. :D

The bad one

Reaction score
I know that Morespiders scales are accurate to the milligram of the weight shown on them. I know this to be true because he tells everybody he meets all the time......That’s right ain’t it Del?
And that Martin Gay caught a 50lb carp from an English water.......Well maybe, perhaps, sort of, could have done!!!!!!!

laguna

Reaction score
If you hold the little ones out with arms stretched towards camera, shoulders drooping and arms tucked in for a selfie, you and your mate can lie and get yourself in the weeklies....

Hint: Gudgeon are little barbel that like to have they're photo taken

barryjh

Reaction score
Fish can be caught on a static bare hook. I know this to be true because it once happened to me.

I know that fish can actually be caught, with rod and line, hooks and bait. I know this because it very occasionally happens to me.

Chevin

Reaction score
If you foul hook a shark in the tail and drag it backwards it will suffocate. You can get your friend to revive it by dragging it forwards again forcing water through its mouth and out of its gills.

You can also revive a drown fly by covering it in salt.

One of these things I have done and know to be true. :D

I have never hooked a shark of any size that you could just drag backwards while it is on the hook. Sharks of all sizes are powerful fish and can generally give a good account of themselves when they are hooked. Sure, those who kill big sharks will often rope them at the tail and drag them backwards which will kill them as it will just about any fish. No fish like water entering their gills from behind.

Now these guys can drag a shark backwards. They keep the water shark free for us snorkelers. This one was in the water at a beach named Cable Beach.

uuqqk.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:32 ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 ----------

While it is doubtful that they are still alive, 4lb plus perch definitely did exist, I knew four people who had caught them. Frank Belcher at Arlesey. Bob Rutland at Arlesey, Richard Walker at Arlesey and John Shaftoe at Amptill Park Lake

Last edited:

Chevin

Reaction score
I would have thought that the reason for the sharks leaving the area was because these kept the water snorkeller free so there wasn't any food left over for them :eek:

Yeah, they are something you need to be aware of in some parts of Oz. The salties (saltwater crocodiles) are a real danger in some places and every now and again they catch someone unawares and few escape them once they get a hold of a body.

ciprinus

Reaction score
i believe that a single boilie on a size 10 wide gape is the perfect trap for that marauding monster. (prob why i havn't caught it yet) :eek:mg:

i believe 4lb+ perch are there in abundance, you just cant catch them.

i believe that some enterprising ****** took a 4lb perch from Arlesey and dropped it into Amptill Park Lake

i believe its time to get me coat now :wh:wh