''Rapidly losing interest''

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be honest, I rarely ever watch any fishing programme on the TV even though I have the full Sky bundle, so it is available.

Those I have seen over the past few years though have all seemed to be missing the magnetism of Passion for Angling.

thecrow

Reaction score
I tried to watch the latest offering from BBC but after 2 episodes I'd had enough, I think that the TV companies are trying to be all things to all men with these type of programmes feeling the need to entertain none anglers and anglers and in the process failing to do either.

barbelboi

Reaction score
For anyone interested every episode of 'Passion for Angling' is available on Youtube.................

sam vimes

Reaction score
TV fishing is much like the fishing print media in this respect. Long standing experienced anglers generally have less and less interest in them as they get older and their angling knowledge gets beyond a certain level. The various types of angling media usually isn't aimed at those people. They aren't a big enough market and don't generate the requisite income or viewing figures.

Many wax lyrical about Catching The Impossible and, especially, A Passion For Angling because these did come closer to ideal for many. However, even these weren't made just to appeal to long time anglers. Both had some of the look, feel and content of wildlife programs to appeal to those that like such programming. Personally, I found them to be a bit style over substance, but they did look rather nice.

Look at all of the magazines that were usually rated by long standing anglers, all gone to the wall. Just another part of the same issue.

As for the "stars", most of the angling media is driven by the tackle companies. Many of the most active are Essex companies. What you tend to end up with is cocky Essex blokes that, whilst they may be good anglers, aren't necessarily the greatest presenters or writers. Though he starts to grate after a while, I actually find Alan Blair (Nash Urban Banx videos) to be one of the better of the new breed, even though he's pulled the odd stroke that's left me unimpressed. He always seems enthusiastic, even if all he manages is a park pond high single. That seems to be half the battle when it comes to presenting and educating.

The other alternative is to draft in names from other fields that also happen to be anglers. I'm thinking Dean Macey, Chris Tarrant, Ian Botham etc. These aren't necessarily the best anglers and sometimes aren't the best presenters or writers either.

For all their faults, as far as I'm concerned, John Wilson and Matt Hayes have been about the best we've had. Their programs were in depth enough to appease most anglers, they had enough twiddly nature or scenic bits to appease the odd non-angling viewer and they were both reasonably engaging blokes. However, that style of program is never going to make it onto prime time TV on one of the major channels.

When it comes to writers, there are a few that I find engaging. Unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of published writers (magazines or books), especially the bigger "names", I've encountered are neither particularly informative or engaging in print. They are either not enough of the raconteur or educator.

steve2

Reaction score
It may not be a Passion for Angling or even Go fishing but for me Robson Green Extreme Fishing is up there for entertainment.
Don’t suppose many if any will agree.
Lets face facts, fishing on it's own does not make good TV most viewers including me would soon get bored.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't watch any angling related programs, they are about as interesting to me as magazines.
I don't have any spare time to waste on TV angling. Any time I do have is spent tying hooks, making rigs and organising tackle I need for my next session.
I know a lot of anglers used to enjoy programs like a passion for angling it's never been for me, infact it sinks my boat as much as angling publications.

11alan111

Reaction score
It may not be a Passion for Angling or even Go fishing but for me Robson Green Extreme Fishing is up there for entertainment.
Don’t suppose many if any will agree.
Lets face facts, fishing on it's own does not make good TV most viewers including me would soon get bored.
i started watching extreme fishing the other day and they were in america shooting decent size carp with a bow and arrow totaly shocking.

P

pointngo

I used to quite like Matt Hayes in the days of Lake Escapes but somewhere between then and his more recent big game programmes he's disappeared up his own backside. Think he was calling himself "the Master" on the Mozambique programme!? :eek:mg: I think he really believes he's some sort of Zen fishing master! He's trying too hard to be Peter Stone! lol

I read an article by him a few years ago where the interviewer asked him about any upcoming TV anglers; can't remember word for word but his response was along the lines of.. "there's no-one like me and no-one coming through good enough to take my crown".

That's what believing your own hype does for you, which seems to be a pre-requisite for most modern "superstars".

River Monsters started off well but that's poor now.. way too sensationalised, to appeal to a wider audience no doubt. After 2 minutes I know what fish he's talking about and the rubbish he spouts about them. Drives me nuts when he repeats everything 3 times as well!

Robson Green... Hmmm! I quite like the programme and the fishing but he needs to stop telling everyone he's some sort of expert angler as he is far from it. I'd have called him a novice at best during the first series. I wonder if any of the guides or people he fishes with actually believes he's the best the UK has to offer as he proclaims? My mate in Spain who had him over for a catfish programme couldn't wait to get rid of him... constantly moaned when he wasn't catching.

One programme I watch when it's on (all repeats now) is Fish Warrior. Jakob Vagner going for every monster sized freshwater fish on my bucket list, in the places I want to go. I'm very jealous of where this fella goes to fish.

Cyril Choquet is/was very watchable.. decent angler, dumb as a stump! Makes for entertaining viewing and he can still smile when it all goes wrong. lol

I don't mind watching fishing programmes but just as entertainment and the odd snippet of useful info.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'd like to see a fishing programme that although being presented by a good angler who can present shows fishing that most anglers do

There could be a match fishing programme, one of specimen, one of canal fishing but the main bit it features tackle and bait most of us use

What I dislike is those carp programmes that start with "Welcome, today I'm fishing a syndicate water for 3 days, I'll start by spodding out 6lilos of boilies and top this up with 2kilo every 4 hours…………" that sort of fishing is out of the reach of most.

Even when they fish a £10 day ticket water they have been given the best swim by the bailiff and still spod out more bait than most can afford

wanderer

Reaction score
I'd like to see a fishing programme that although being presented by a good angler who can present shows fishing that most anglers do

There could be a match fishing programme, one of specimen, one of canal fishing but the main bit it features tackle and bait most of us use

What I dislike is those carp programmes that start with "Welcome, today I'm fishing a syndicate water for 3 days, I'll start by spodding out 6lilos of boilies and top this up with 2kilo every 4 hours…………" that sort of fishing is out of the reach of most.

Even when they fish a £10 day ticket water they have been given the best swim by the bailiff and still spod out more bait than most can afford
Only 6 kilos your lordship, thats one of the cheapskates, how about 7 kilo a day on a fenced of spot for 3 weeks and then you move because you dont have any local knowledge and you slipped up, John Wilson, some years ago , Sywell.

B

binka

I'm still watching repeats from donkeys years ago which I've previously not seen.

Something varied like the older Matt Hayes format but with a fresh presenter and content would be ok with me providing it didn't erupt into that bloody computer generated thrash guitar music every time a fish was hooked.

More recently I did enjoy The Compleat Angler series.

How about...

Angling... The Myths, The Mysteries & The Madness?

Should be a fair bit of scope there for a few episodes :)

steve2

Reaction score
Alan,
Shooting carp with Bow and arrows, yes shocking to you but not to me. Just another way of fishing. Carp in many places are treated as vermin. Have you seen the films of them fishing for silver carp which have also become out of control vermin.

dann

Reaction score
Its the same with something like Top Gear, if it were a car show with nothing but cars then the audience would be limited. Throw in some general entertainment and it appeals to more people.

I guess they are trying to do it with shows like Robson Green and the wildest waters.

Personally I'll watch anything like that, I enjoy something a bit different with a few different locations. I don't watch any soaps, get depressed by the news and I cant abide strictly come pop star on ice in the jungle.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

Great idea...............................Lord Paul goes extreme angling with a passion for compleat monsters on tight lines armed only with a rod and rucksack as he races to catch impossible fish on thinking tackle........................Sponsored by Bent Nets of Sheffield and Tickle Tackle

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Can't say I enjoy watching any fishing programs of any kind. I am not saying the anglers are not any good, but, i have heard some stories about most of the shows, and not all is as it seems.

To be fair to those that present these programs, it can't be easy to try and show anglers something different or new come to that, and try to show those who don't fish, the joy we get from it.

If you were to take any angler off the bank and try to make a program, what do you think you will end up with ??

I think we could try and make a few videos of anglers on some of the fish in's.

I am sure it would make some good viewing, fishing, and with some laughs along the way.

Something for the future maybe ??

Spiders with his scales, we could have him weighing S-kippy's seat box.

john step

Reaction score
For anyone interested every episode of 'Passion for Angling' is available on Youtube.................

Passion is available in a double DVD format. If you Google it. I believe the seller is actually Hugh Miles the camera man. I think I remember reading he bought the rights from the BBC.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Passion is available in a double DVD format. If you Google it. I believe the seller is actually Hugh Miles the camera man. I think I remember reading he bought the rights from the BBC.

Yes, but it's free on youtube on the big screen of your smart tv or PC..........