Time to get rid of the bass nets

FishingMagic

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a dedicated thread for discussing article: Time to get rid of the bass nets

http://www.fishingmagic.com/index.php?news=18173

img_0424.jpg

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I was unaware that bass are farmed commercially and that such 'products' constitute 80% of the bass retail market AND that they tend to be 'plate-size' - perfect for humans to gobble-up sustainably. Why not a total commercial bass netting ban lasting say, 3 years...and the same for cod? I'm informed that the latter breed like rats given half a chance, so why don't we bite the bullet and lay-off? I am acutely aware of my ignorance in these matters and that my suggestions may be an over-simplification - but are they? We can live without a species or two in the supermarkets for a short while, can't we? And as Martin points out, no one has a god-given right to net a public resource for a profit. Better still, we could impose our own fishing territory around UK shores but, of course, this means leaving the EU and at this point it gets political.....................

Thanks, Martin, for your explanation, hard work and proposals.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the regulations came into force on January 1st this year.

Already we are seeing reports that the French, in some areas, are paying no notice at all to the new requirements.

Time to get serious on bass: rule breakers must be stopped and penalized - Low Impact Fishers of Europe

I would therefore ask the representatives of the Angling Trust two questions:

1. Are they aware of this problem?

2. What can they do about it?

It appears that, like so many things where the French are concerned that they are simply not only ignoring the Rules but that their own authorities are also turning a blind eye to them doing so.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have lived on the coast most of my life and know many commercial boatmen and done some myself part time which does not make me an expert but I have followed the swings and lows of this debate for years.
No one has a god given right but fish are a food source and the catching and selling of them is natural, its been happening for a long time!
I have never understood why Bass are as threatened as some species by netting or trawling. Most netting and trawling takes place in the open sea whereas bass inhabit rocky areas where its not so easy to trawl or net giving them more chance than say Cod and Herring.
However, all sea fish are under threat and I recognize its the same for Bass. I think pleasure angling restrictions make little difference, the amount of anglers who regularly sea fish is small these days, a lot have given up because there is little to catch, ever decreasing Mackerel shoals, Whiting no more than 6/10 inches etc etc. Its only the small fish that get through the nets and that's all you catch from the shore. Big Cod are very rare but you can still catch a decent Bass off a good shore mark because they hang around rocky areas and escape the nets. However, I know of one big shoal of Bass detected off Beachy Head and netted out by commercial boatmen so, I do know its a problem not too be ignored.
During the war, commercial fishing almost came to a standstill and for a few years after it was a bonanza especially for Cod which proves leaving them alone to breed like mad as Cliff said does work.
We have more and more complicated rules being imposed, hard to understand' hard to police and easy enough to ignore as Peter has pointed out. A complete ban on one species for 2/3 years rotated in turn for all food species would be easier to regulate and enforce and would work. Commercial boatmen could still get a living and feed us which I could think of as a God given right. Aligned with more and bigger nurseries, also easy to regulate, enforce and maintain would also be a very good long term answer.
I am afraid these ever more complicated rules, although well intentioned and although they will make a difference are not good enough in my opinion. Everyone's arguing and trying to be too clever making it over complicated; You only have to read Martins article to see this; some rotating bans per species and more good nursery areas I think would work far better and more importantly easy to understand, regulate and police.

I just thought I would add, restrictions, net, size, fish size restrictions, quotas all started in the 60's. 50/60
years later; it has made no big noticeable bit of difference, in fact the problem is worse for many species. They are not working-- Nurseries and some kinds of species bans have been proven to work.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Already we are seeing reports that the French, in some areas, are paying no notice at all to the new requirements.

It appears that, like so many things where the French are concerned that they are simply not only ignoring the Rules but that their own authorities are also turning a blind eye to them doing so.

Spot on Peter,

As we all know the French will do what they want, when they want, thats what makes the EU a joke.

The quicker we are out the EU, the better. We will then get our borders back, and be able to control our sea fishing, as we see fit.

tom_moran

Reaction score
I hear a lot of good arguments for leaving the eu, but whenever I ask anyone why we should stay the just mutter and nobody seems to know why it would be bad. As for the fishing issue within the eu, well it's a joke and imo we should leave just for that fact

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I hear a lot of good arguments for leaving the eu, but whenever I ask anyone why we should stay the just mutter and nobody seems to know why it would be bad. As for the fishing issue within the eu, well it's a joke and imo we should leave just for that fact

Tom, I would gladly give you a long and accurate dissertation on the many benefits of EU membership, however, on this site we do not discuss politics, and it is impossible to offer an argument here as it is well outside of the angling-related politics that are allowed.