Tiger nut bans

Keith M

Reaction score
Because the popular belief is that poorly prepared tigers swell in the gut of fish.

And also because tigers contain very little food value (not real Tigers of course LOL).

I remember when we allowed tiger nuts on our estate lake and we were clearing tackle that had been caught on the island trees; we saw thousands of uneaten tiger nuts rotting and fermenting on the bottom of the lake all around the islands where unknowing anglers had been pre baiting them, which is one of the reasons why the committee finally decided to ban them on our lake.

Keith

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
The fish become pre occupied with them and leave everything else, low nutritional value and the fish lose condition, nowhere near as effective as peanuts or Brazils, vastly overated.

rayner

Reaction score
Not that I use tiger nuts, in general if fisheries impose bait bans I don't agree with I ignore them. :eek: I just go down the clandestine route.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
lot of bans imposed by fisheries - there is little thought in them just a "well they're banded on other lake so we ban them"

Maybe there may be some justification for nuts in the fact that they are thought to swell in the fish's gut if not properly prepared

Boiles were banned for a while on one lake I fish but when asked why the bailiff said there were too many not being eaten rotting in the water - not sure how he knew this since no one was fishing with them (well I did see the odd angler but not in the amounts the bailiff suggested)
Then a couple of years back boiles were allowed

maybe the fish ate up all those on the bottom so they needed topping up

laguna

Reaction score
Is the reason for a widespread ban just a knee jerk reaction?... good call if considering fish safety, but what are the facts? example is it true that poorly prepared tiger nuts swell in the fish to the extent where they cause an obstruction and die or is that pure guess work?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As said, Tigers don't break down, same as many bollies when they first came about. Boillies now break down so many fisheries lifted the ban.

Nut and seed bait should always be soaked correctly, and some don't need any cooking.

I am not saying all bans are needed, but some do if we like it or not.

If you had a fishery and had bans, you would want the anglers to fish to the rules, more often than not, it's more common sense needed, not bans.

peterjg

Reaction score
Tiger nuts are a superb big carp bait BUT they must be used with care! Feeding too many is actually detrimental for success, they must be used sparingly. I found that they worked best with wheat. It really is a case of little is more!

wanderer

Reaction score
Is the reason for a widespread ban just a knee jerk reaction?... good call if considering fish safety, but what are the facts? example is it true that poorly prepared tiger nuts swell in the fish to the extent where they cause an obstruction and die or is that pure guess work?

Judging by the size increase when rehydrated, i beleive it highly possible that the intestinal tracts could be blocked by unprepared nuts.

thecrow

Reaction score
If they don't break down in a Carps gut then they must grind them with their pharyngeal teeth, evidence of this is often seen if tiger caught Carp have been kept in a sack and have excreted ground up tigers in the sack.

Swell in the stomach?

sam vimes

Reaction score

No idea, I've never seen it myself, but I don't recall fishing anywhere where they are used that much. I do wonder whether carp swallow such food items whole. It might be quite wrong, but I was under the impression that pharyngeal teeth were fairly effective crushers/grinders.

I've often wondered just how vulnerable fish are to unsoaked/boiled particles. I'd expect fish of all kinds to take advantage of any foodsource that drops into the water. I accept that many are unlikely to fall into water naturally, especially in kilo multiples, but I find it quite hard to believe that any nuts, pulses, grains and seeds that do will be of any issue to fish. Lats face it we are talking about the same cyprinids that are reputed to eat swan mussels and crayfish. I can't see tiger nuts being an issue for any fish capable of ingesting either.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if some anglers fish tigers without any preparation and band em as they might a pellet. Obviously they will absorb water, so if this is how they are fished, how long do you suppose it takes for them to cause a problem and... if the carp swallow whole without first chewing?

thecrow

Reaction score
if the carp swallow whole without first chewing?

Then they are naughty boys and will get tummy ache :)

I have always erred on the side of fish safety when it comes to bait, tigers are no different and its best imo that they are soaked (I used to boil mine with lots of sugar as well) before use.

laguna

Reaction score
It might be quite wrong, but I was under the impression that pharyngeal teeth were fairly effective crushers/grinders.

I've often wondered just how vulnerable fish are to unsoaked/boiled particles. I'd expect fish of all kinds to take advantage of any foodsource that drops into the water. I accept that many are unlikely to fall into water naturally, especially in kilo multiples, but I find it quite hard to believe that any nuts, pulses, grains and seeds that do will be of any issue to fish. Lats face it we are talking about the same cyprinids that are reputed to eat swan mussels and crayfish. I can't see tiger nuts being an issue for any fish capable of ingesting either.

My thoughts exactly. In fact oyster shell is sold for adding to boilies for that very purpose... the crunch factor!
Small quantities of nuts, legumes and seeds that fall into the water naturally, not chucked in wholesale, will have little if any effect on fish health imo. Obviously correct preparation of bait is essential, anti-nutrients are mostly neutralised with boiling.

As carp don't have a stomach this may be part of the the problem...................
Wouldn't a short tube (roughly only twice the size of its body) with short digestive times expel/pass undigested foodstuff quickly? Quick enough that the tigers wouldn't swell to a dangerous level perhaps?

wanderer

Reaction score
We had the misfortune of a spate of fish deaths at Grendon lakes a couple of years ago, post mortem revealed blocked intestinal tracts down to Tigers, result, banned as a bait.

Keith M

Reaction score
We had the misfortune of a spate of fish deaths at Grendon lakes a couple of years ago, post mortem revealed blocked intestinal tracts down to Tigers, result, banned as a bait.

We had similar problems on our small 2.5 acre estate lake, and after a lot of discussion amongst our members which included a well known fishery biologist which we employed at the time, the membership voted to ban all nuts and pulses but still occasionally revisit the decision at regular intervals in case things changed.

We didn't really need to use tigers, and if we were in any doubt about our fishes health (which we were at the time) why did we need to use them?, there are plenty of other baits we could use anyway.

Right or wrong that is why we finally decided to ban them for the time being until the membership changed their views.

Keith

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I often wonder if some fish may have died as a result of Artificial baits being swallowed. I would have thought that at some point an angler may have lost a rig with an artificial bait on it and a fish picked it up.

What next an artificial bait ban ???

If there is one thing anglers have to get right, it is preparing seed and nut baits.

As for the crayfish, i would have thought that a fish could only take a crayfish when it has shred it's shell, thus the new shell being soft. The size of some crayfish it would have to be a monster to eat it.

Boillies are also made with the egg shell left in for the crunch factor.