''You know it's bad when''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
For one reason or another you're unable to get out on the bankside for a protracted period. And instead of doing jobs around the house you immerse yourself in anything tackle related. Painting floats, re-whipping the odd rod ring, making lure traces in my case, replacing hooks on lures, re-sharpening existing hooks. All those priorities that ''must'' be done, or is that just me.

How do the rest of you guys avoid cabin fever?

P

pointngo

I seem to be making tackle all the time these days when I'm not fishing... much better than decorating. :thumbs:

B

binka

How do the rest of you guys avoid cabin fever?

I go and sit in the garage with a pint and my most treasured worldly possessions and plot my next trip or plan of attack.

Just sat here now wondering whether to fester for the rest of the day or get out on the riverbank for mid-afternoon and have a few hours after dark to see if I can bag a zander or two.

Think i'll go and get the gear together... :)

wanderer

Reaction score
Try to catch up with all the jobs i should have done, dream of spring, plan my attack for next year, decide on clubcards and syndicate memberships, watch fishing videos, brew more bait, plan my prebaiting campaign, drink beer and sulk the months away.

john step

Reaction score
Normally the only time I cannot fish is when the local stillwaters have a lid on or the roads are too icy to risk travelling further.
I then get up late and put appropriate clothing and footware on and walk the blues off in the woods for a couple of hours or so. By then its getting dark and time for a cuppa.:)

john10

Reaction score
It was eight weeks ago since I ruptured my Achilles tendon and to say I'm getting withdrawal symptoms is an understatement! I was just getting into Barbel on the tidal Trent and looking forward to spending some weeks fishing there when, on returning to the car, I fell down a hole at the side of the road.Serves me right, I should have looked where I was going.
Hopefully I'll be driving again shortly but I'll have to be very careful for some time.
Fortunately I've got somewhere in mind where the banks are flat so that will see me through the winter nicely. It will be a slow game though, a good head of decent sized carp but very shallow. I really don't care as long as I can wet a line again.
This enforced lay off has given me a chance to get back in the shed and do a bit of wood turning which I've been neglecting lately so it's not all bad. Fortunately I didn't have to resort to decorating!

robtherake

Reaction score
It was eight weeks ago since I ruptured my Achilles tendon and to say I'm getting withdrawal symptoms is an understatement! I was just getting into Barbel on the tidal Trent and looking forward to spending some weeks fishing there when, on returning to the car, I fell down a hole at the side of the road.Serves me right, I should have looked where I was going.
Hopefully I'll be driving again shortly but I'll have to be very careful for some time.
Fortunately I've got somewhere in mind where the banks are flat so that will see me through the winter nicely. It will be a slow game though, a good head of decent sized carp but very shallow. I really don't care as long as I can wet a line again.
This enforced lay off has given me a chance to get back in the shed and do a bit of wood turning which I've been neglecting lately so it's not all bad. Fortunately I didn't have to resort to decorating!

I did the same, although, bizarrely, it came on while I was sitting down at the computer. It's the kind of pain you don't forget in a hurry, isn't it? I spent 9 months hobbling about on sticks and it still aches from time to time, well over a year later. I'd watch yourself in the car if it's your left (clutch) foot that's affected; you'll be no use to anyone if you have a relapse miles from home. It's one of those injuries that takes ages to heal properly and it's so easy to jag it and end up back to start - and I speak from experience. Ouch!

Anyway, I know it's bad when I enter the tackle den and the need to fish is so strong that no amount of twiddling eases the itch. My good lady is recovering from a foot op and can't manage Zac on her own, so I've effectively been grounded for the last couple of months. What a bummer it's been, reading about all your successes in the "How did you get on?" thread. It's all very well feeling chuffed for others, but I need to wet a line, dammit :D :(

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How'd that happen, posted it twice.

Last edited:
B

binka

I do the same but in an attic room rather than the garage and a cup of tea rather than the booze.

Steve, you seem to be a serious boozer, I think you should have a listen to this ;) lol.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGlXfCNwOOQ

Like it! :)

Actually I could do some serious damage to a pint right now, I've gone on the lead with both rods and just had a single bleep on the right hander, I reckon it was a twig but it might just prove to be the highlight of the evening.

Anyway cheer up fellas, the nights start drawing out in around twenty three days time, we'll be mowing the lawns again before we know it...

flightliner

Reaction score
Was it you who had just gone thro a gateway , locked it and slipped off the edge of some concrete into a small ditch by a low hawthorn edge.?
I f its the same I can understand as I've nearly done the same. That conny really does need extending a little more by a foot or so.

john10

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Robtherake. I'll certainly bear that in mind. I do tend to heal quickly but I won't be taking any chances. Fortunately I have access to an automatic so that will avoid pressure on the left ankle.

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:06 ----------

Was it you who had just gone thro a gateway , locked it and slipped off the edge of some concrete into a small ditch by a low hawthorn edge.?
I f its the same I can understand as I've nearly done the same. That conny really does need extending a little more by a foot or so.

That's me! R.P.s stretch at Carlton? Hopefully I'll not do it again.