''Wind, rain, sleet, snow, ice.''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
And many of us will still go fishing. By any other yardstick this would be considered an addiction.

But where do you draw the line? For me it would be when there is no opportunity to get a bait into the water, in other words ''frozen''. When do you call a halt to your outings?

sumtime

Reaction score
Wind is not my cup of tea, been there got the "T" shirt but in later life it's a no no. Rain and snow is okay with me.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For me it would have to be when the edges of the venue are frozen.

In my experience over decades I'd never had a good day when it was that cold, except in Norway when Ice fishing, and that is about as boring as fishing ever gets . . . . IMHO that is.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek,

For me it has to be when the branches of the tree's start to break around me, in a lifetime of fishing I gave up a couple of times due to falling branches !!

Bob

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think I have fished in everything, snow blizzards, and choppy seas but these days,
pleasure fishing comes with a big P for me. It all depends on my mood if the weathers bad , it takes a lot to get me out in howling wind and rain however, i still do it occasionally. The cold I do not mind so much but it is usually shorter sessions than the summer and mainly a bit of chubbing.
Sea fishing i have neglected a lot the last few years which is a shame as the cold winter months it is often better than coarse fishing, cod, whiting etc. Must get my beach gear out of moth balls; just might do that sometime soon.

However, generally, if its not going to be a pleasure I don't see the point.

john step

Reaction score
As Bob says when the wind is breaking branches off...very dangerous.

Yesterday I did something I rarely do...I packed up about an hour earlier than normal due to conditions just getting to me.
It seems that for the last month all I have had weather wise are soakings and high( umbrella busting) winds.

Its been S*DS law that due to family comitments the pleasant days were the ones my attendance was required and the foul weather ones I was free to fish:eek:mg:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Derek,

For me it has to be when the branches of the tree's start to break around me, in a lifetime of fishing I gave up a couple of times due to falling branches !!

Bob

I fully understand your concerns Bob, having been a victim of falling timber. That was many years ago now whilst fishing an old estate lake. I spent four weeks with my arm in a sling, a nightmare. I've avoided heavily wooded banksides during strong winds ever since.

rayner

Reaction score
When I had to waste time at work my fishing was at the weekend, I fished no matter what all year round, of course not close season.
Nowadays I pick my days midweek always totally dependant on conditions and rarely fish weekends.

theartist

Reaction score
I hate the wind.

I think someone once said there's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing. A brisk northerly in the face will have something to say about that.:(

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
When the water in the canal is being blown over the edge of the tow path as it was yesterday afternoon it was blow this for a game of soldiers pack up and head home..

PG....

Sent from my 8055 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
This stopped me in January of that cold winter of '63. We were hoping to break the ice for a spot of pike fishing but that idea was soon dropped when we saw a land rover pulling skiers over the ice. Braved the thick, 'charging 'iceflows', after the breaker had done his job, on the canal instead...............

Landrover%20on%20Ruislip%20Lido%20January%201963_zpsbsscl2xq.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
I remember that winter Jerry, Almost impossible to get anywhere for weeks. I remember reading in the angling times that a short stretch of the middle level drain had been freed of ice and there were thousands of bream taking in the oxygenated surface water to survive.

P

pointngo

Had an interesting day today.. got cut off by a rising river as it burst it's banks and had to take my boots off, roll my trousers up and get wet. Half way through my barefoot wade I realised that the way I'd come was too deep and fast so had to take a 2 mile detour, take my boots off and get wet again, just to get back to the car!

Looked across from the car to the field I walked across this morning and it was completely flooded. It had risen about 3-4ft in a few hours.

Not much stops me but I don't think I'll be trying that again anytime soon.

Oh yes, it was 'kin cold! :eek:

john step

Reaction score
This stopped me in January of that cold winter of '63. We were hoping to break the ice for a spot of pike fishing but that idea was soon dropped when we saw a land rover pulling skiers over the ice. Braved the thick, 'charging 'iceflows', after the breaker had done his job, on the canal instead...............

Landrover%20on%20Ruislip%20Lido%20January%201963_zpsbsscl2xq.jpg

Yes that one was a real shocker. I had an Intrepid fixed spool for Christmas, the lakes were frozen until after the old closed season had begun so I couldn't use it until June 16th. That seemed a lifetime of waiting for a youngster.
There were pictures in the press of the sea frozen.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Wind doesn't bother me. Light rain doesn't bother me.anything more than that and you won't find me bankside. I never have needed to go fishing that badly.

You always fish badly ;););):D

I remember 63 also, had weeks off school :D

I have fished with ice on the water, caught sometimes, failed other times. When its frozen solid, its time to have a lay in.

B

binka

Only when it's frozen solid will I not venture out, I'm not too bothered about snow anymore now that I'm back on front wheel drive but it did cause a few problems when I had rear as did really boggy farm tracks.

Christmas Day is a must for being out on the banks, I can't remember the last one when I didn't fish :w

peterjg

Reaction score
The only thing that stops me going fishing is the wife!

john10

Reaction score
I don't like a combination of strong wind and rain. Since retirement I can choose my days and if it's chucking it down with a strong wind I think like Scarlett O'Hara and decide that tomorrow is another day. Maybe the rain will have Gone With The Wind!