Shimano DL 2500FA

broomy

Reaction score
Can someone tell me how many spacers need to be on the central drive shaft below the spool to achieve a level profile across the spool of a DL 2500 FA front drag baitrunner.
Loaded up my new reel and was not happy with the profile of the line on the spool. I want it to be level not loaded towards the base of the spool. I have removed two of the spacers and the line lay looks a lot better. Looking at my other 4000 type front drag baitrunners the line lay if perfectly level with the two spaces I have removed being in place?

robtherake

Reaction score
I have the ST2500FA, which has two shims, each about 1mm thick. Something you have to watch, though, (my Wychwood Solace 10s are a prime example) are reels where it's easy to believe the spool's fully engaged, but an extra push or wiggle seats it properly. Not funny when you've half-filled it without noticing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I can honestly say that I've rarely had to adjust the spacers on any of my Shimano reels. However, I have a few multiples of the exact same reel type. On just one of those multiples, I had to change things. It has a different number of spacers to three others of the exact same model.

If you've got the reels as you want them, leave well alone and don't try to make the number of spacers match across them all. You'll just end up with one that's right and the rest being wrong.

john step

Reaction score
Well that is one of the great things about this forum. Someone will come up with something you can learn a new trick by.
I had never thought or considered this. I will tuck it away in the memory in case it is ever needed.

bullmoose_jackson

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the line lay on my 2500 size DL baitrunners (I have 2) was appalling. I had to buy extra washers to add. Trial and error, unfortunately :mad:

seth49

Reaction score
My two were fine, straight out of the box.
Like them a lot, for either tip rod or float fishing.
I prefer front drag reels, just seem smoother than rear drag.
Just have to remember the baitrunner lever works the opposite way.

broomy

Reaction score
It would seem that there is no definite answer to this problem. It would apear that some reels load the line level straight out out the box and others don't while both are fitted with the same amount of shims. My reel came with spare shims in the box. All i can say is if not happy. Its quite easy to rearrange the line on the spool. I removed a shim on the river bank. Hooked up to a wire fence and walked away 150yds. Then walked back reeling in as I went. Loading was better but not as level as i wanted. I removed another shim and tied again. This time the loading was what I wanted.

greenie62

Reaction score
Apologies for being a little off-post with this but it's relevant imo:

I used to use an enormous Shimano with a half-bale-arm for distance beach-casting - came with a spare spool and shims. One spool required a thin shim for level line lay, the other needed 2 standard shims to stop a conical line lay.
Having gone fishing with the wrong spool/shim arrangement on more than 1 occassion - decided to 'retire' it! :rolleyes::eek:mg:

I reckon the variation in spools / shim needs says volumes about their Quality Management across different factories! :eek:mg: