Curriculum Vittae

wanderer

Reaction score
May be spelt wrong as i used to bunk off fishing a lot but basically , life Journey, where we started , where we have been and where are we going.
Has your motivation changed with age, mine has, what motivates our multi branched devotees on a personal level. I have never done match fishing or sea fishing, is it a case of beating your mates or in the marine case, catching something to eat. Carp boys, this has so many different likes and dislikes, when i started carp fishing, early seventies, not many people doing it and i used to intersperse it with my Tench angling, probably wouldnt have done it all if i hadnt been busted up a few times and it became a challenge. I always found it time consuming for miniscule rewards, then along came the commies. At first , i thought it was great, but rapidly got bored and joined harder and harder syndicates, then got fed up and tried the Estates, yep with them and the river regularly restocked with escapees, life is good again. Love the lone chub and Barbel hunts, Pike from Hollowell and Sywell and the Aquadromes marina, Roach and Rudd, from a local park lake, Perch, Oulton Broad or the Ouse or a holiday cottage on the Kennet or Avon years ago. Fly fishing through the months of the old close season, thoroughly enjoyed, taught me much but i dont know whether i would want it as a singular approach, so what motivates those guys. All the new anglers just taking up the sport, your thoughts appreciated, and you old hands, have you changed in your thoughts and expectations.

B

binka

My motivation has changed vastly over the years, in my early years I was purely match motivated and my peers reflected this.

Later on I moved away to pursue a more leisurely style of fishing and experienced some nice fish and now I'm at a point where the enjoyment of what I do is more important than the result although there is a close relationship between the two.

I'm now quite happy to enjoy going about something in a certain way if that means adopting a less productive but more enjoyable method and netting fewer fish although fewer fish rarely seems to be the case.

I think that whatever you do, if you do it well, you will generally catch so you may as well do it in a way that gives you the maximum pleasure.

bracket

Reaction score
I began fishing in 1948, float fishing on the River Trent. My objective then was to fish for a bite. Now 67 years on, my expectations have progressed, I now fish for two bites, although I can do without carp. Seriously though, for me nothing much has changed. I do what I have always done, just fish for what ever is having a go, and that is good enough for me, Pete.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
As a kid getting ready to go fishing was a buzz, new waters made it even more so. Today it is the same for me, i still get that buzz getting ready, buying the bait etc etc.

The thing that has changed for me, I target different species during the year, when as a kid, i would be happy catching what ever took my bait.

I will always have that Buzz, if i lost that, i might as well sell my gear.

maceo

Reaction score
I don't think I've changed overly much from my motivations fishing when I was a kid.

I just like the peace and quiet and catching one or two fish. Still prefer float fishing on a river or canal to anything else, just the same as in my youth. Carp fishing doesn't appeal at all. Each to his own, but I like to catch wild fish.

Perhaps the only thing that's changed these days is that I'll walk further to find the most attractive swim in terms of the surroundings and distance from traffic noise etc. Previously I'd just set up in the first available pretty much without caring about noise or pollution or anything.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Not really, I always wanted to catch big fish.

I started of as a Specimen Hunter and I'm still doing it.

The only thing that has changed is my health, but when I'm fit enough I will be out there somewhere hunting Big Fish on a method that I deem satisfying or on tackle I consider a challenge.

The last thing in the world I would want to do is fish against other angler, as in Match fishing or go Pleasure fishing, both would bore me to tears, but I presume others would feel the same about Specimen fishing ?

Live and let live, you only get one life !!

Bob

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I fished a massive amount as a teenager in the late 1970s or early 1980s. From my diaries of the time i actually spent about one third of the days in a season fishing. This was before the modern era of long-stay bivvie dwelling.

I was a fairly successful Club match angler in the 80s while still in my late teens: Fond memories of Thames Championships and a couple of NFA Team or Embassy Individual events. Then off to Uni and fished local rivers for specimen Chub, Roach or local lakes for Tench - but happiest to just get amongst some good fish rather than break PBs (too many distractions to put in silly hours for specimen fish - even if i knew where they were).

Since becoming fully grown, married and all that jazz I have just about kept fishing going over the years with some seasons more active than others - usually targeting Tench, Chub, Roach, Barbel depending upon venues and time of year. I suppose i would class my fishing now as "Pleasure Angling". If i stumbled upon a shoal of large Roach it could quickly change to "Specimen Hunting" as i put in the hours and effort that i think is required to attain this description. In recent years it has just been great to get back in touch with others who i had lost touch with for nearly 20 years - including my main long term fishing pal. It was also great to meet Jerry, one of the regulars on here.

Only thing missing for me or my long term friends is this all-prevalent carp obsession. We never got into it or the camping/multi rod thing. Stalking carp on floating baits yes, targeting half-decent carp in the lake or river when no-one else is trying for them - yes, but we avoid the "modern" fisheries and heavily fished waters like the plague. Maybe this is a generational thing?. More likely i think it is because we started off using ever finer lines and hook lengths all the time so the idea of using large hooks, heavy line, self-hooking rigs and powerful rods is all a bit alien.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
May be spelt wrong as i used to bunk off fishing a lot...

Sounds like a man who has his priorities right. :)

I've gone full circle. Starting in the mid-seventies as a wide-eyed, pre-pubescent youngster with just one pond to fish (all perch, barring a few tench) and a tiny beck that held surprisingly good trout here and there. The perch were a reasonable size - maybe a 6oz average - but one day I was there when a friend (a natural angler, if ever I saw one) had a 2-4 on a feeder-fished worm. Feeders were new to all of us, but the sight of that fish wouldn't leave my mind; it was the primary reason for wanting to move to another level. I eventually managed a 2-3 from the same place, but by then I was ranging further afield and reading everything the library had to offer. Fred Taylor and **** Walker's stories kept me awake at night!

The next major change was when I got wheels. I dragged friends with me at first, but it soon became clear that they lacked my obsessive nature, so I ended up as a lone angler; to be honest, it was always going to be so, it seems. A decade or so was spent - inexpertly, but with boundless enthusiasm - chasing bigger fish, with reasonable results. I read too much, though, of the success of others and became disillusioned. In fairness, mind you, I'd fished virtually every day throughout that period, even taking my gear with me for a quick getaway after work and fishing in shirt and tie with an ICI boiler suit over the top! I burned out, the rods were stashed, and so I turned to other pursuits.

Fast-forward to the early 90s and on impulse I chucked a couple of rods in the van when my future wife and I took off for a week at Land's End. Catching wrasse from a breakwater and rudd from a little farm pond made me realise what had been missing. This time, with sprogs in tow on most occasions, fishing had become a more leisurely affair. It was fun again!
Since then I've been careful not to take it too seriously and have regained much of the passion, but without the impatience that marred my earlier efforts at being a "specimen hunter." There are still some good fish, on occasion, but the enjoyment is far more important than the catch. Here's to the next chapter...:w

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I can remember being fascinated watching the big boys of about 7 or 8 catching sticklebacks in an Ilford park as a 3 or 4 year old.

When the family moved to Dagenham next to the Chase I was able to go and try to catch on rod and line. I managed after 3 years!! when someone gave me a smaller hook that the huge size one on my toy 3 foot rod.(Fancy an 8 year old over there now on his own:eek:)

It was a difficult journey with no family member an angler. Mr Crabree became my fishing guardian. The Ultra float fishing booklet was a complete revelation and my catches improved many fold.

So that makes it 59 years at it. I still flit about. A month after this and then a month after that, never settling too long but still as enthusiastic as ever.

I did years in between doing club matches scratching for points. When I gave that up I found it difficult to settle without a keepnet. I rarely use one now and since moving to Lincolnshire I have genuinely never had better fishing whether for targeted lumps or wagglering for silver fish.

The natives have been very friendly and in another decade or two I might be regarded as a local.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I am certain that the magic of fishing is something you get hooked on as a kid and you spend the rest of your life recapturing or reconnecting with that magic in different ways as an adult.

I can still remember looking down on some 7" Roach in a bucket and memorising their perfect scale pattern, body form and olive coloration probably from when i was about 10.

laguna

Reaction score
My inspiration began in 1968 after witnessing a 'bigger boy' catch fish from a mill dam.
Sometime later I managed to persuade a friend to 'have a go' and we spent the rest of our childhood fishing various local parks, ponds and rivers. Neither of us had a father or uncle to take us and show us what to do so we simply learned from each other and discovered things along the way, it was very addictive and irresponsible fun.

I still enjoy the same opportunities to learn and the ingenuity you sometimes need but the fun factor is what I enjoy the most. Funny old sport fishing.. You can be as clever or as stupid (and lucky) as you feel on the day and still have fun.

wanderer

Reaction score
My sincere thanks for your replies lads, its lovely to hear your fishing histories and how our hobby has progressed for you over the years, i feel i know you a little better and hearing all this diverse pleasure makes me conclude our hobby will only become more popular, it holds something for all types and ages.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
My own fishing began in 1952 on the river Witham with my late Dad. For the next few years I fished for anything that came along. Then in 1958 my fate was sealed after the capture of some ''big'' Roach from a mill dam close to home. The term big is relative of course, as none of those fish exceeded one and a quarter pounds, but for me at that time they were big.

Since that time my fishing has gone through phases. The Summer periods were divided between Carp, Barbel and Chub, whilst Autumn and Winter periods were split between Pike and Perch, but ''always'' with the specimen hunter mentality.Reflected by the fact that from the early sixties I belonged to four different specimen groups, and enjoyed every minute of that time, meeting many interesting people along the way. Not once during that time did my enthusiasm dim, and is still with me to this day.

rayner

Reaction score
My start echos most above.
Started in small local farm ponds in the 50s, then progressed to the tidal Trent when I started work with blokes who'd drive me.
That's when the addiction really got me and it's stuck ever since.

Having said that I'm stuck in a slump at the moment, for some unknown reason I haven't wet a line or tied an hook since September. It will change.

john step

Reaction score
My sincere thanks for your replies lads, its lovely to hear your fishing histories and how our hobby has progressed for you over the years, i feel i know you a little better and hearing all this diverse pleasure makes me conclude our hobby will only become more popular, it holds something for all types and ages.

I really hope you will be proved right about our hobby/sport becoming more popular. You can never tell but going on current form there seems more and more white hair and fewer and fewer young faces on the fisheries as the years progress.

---------- Post added at 13:42 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Here's my fishing background (written several years ago).

My 50th season has arrived - by Keith Manger

The article was written for the old Fishing Magic a few years ago when a few other FM members submitted similar articles about themselves.

Keith

Nice read Keith. I left the areas you mention in Herts for my travels in 1990 but the big roach were still in the Lea. I have not had one bigger since.
Oh yes...didn't you look young.:D

laguna

Reaction score
Here's my fishing background (written several years ago).

My 50th season has arrived - by Keith Manger

The article was written for the old Fishing Magic a few years ago when a few other FM members submitted similar articles about themselves.

Keith
Great read that Keith thanks for sharing mate :w

Ps. B.James & son Richard Walker MkIV rod for £10 WOW!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Over the years I have diversified into all areas, fly, sea, boat, river, lake, commercial. Fished in many parts of the UK for just about everything that swims over the years, sea and coarse.
Been a great journey though, I think of all the places I have seen, the things I have learned, the friends made and those that are gone, the exciting times, the weird times, the dangerous times - stuck in the middle of the channel in a fog watching a liner bearing down on us, nearly dying of hypothermia, the funny times, falling in etc. Times with the family and then there's the fish, nothing extraordinary but all the good ones stored away in my memory. Its been a good hobby, wouldn't change anything.
But these days gone a full circle and do what I did right at the beginning when my old man bought me my first rod; put a float on and live in hope; its good enough for me.

Last edited:
P

pointngo

Pretty much the first things I can remember was going fishing. My old man used to go about once a month with his mate, more to get away from a house full of kids probably, lol. My first fish was a tiny perch closely followed by a bootlace about the size of a pencil.. it tied the old man in knots which I thought very funny. Since then I've had a soft spot for them, even having 2 as pets at one point. About that time we went spinning for pike and although I didn't catch one, some fella did, and I was awestruck. It was magnificent and a real monster at about 3lb! lol

Spent a few years doing what kids do, fishing local canals and park lakes at every opportunity for small stuff, roach, perch, tench etc and every now and again getting smashed up by unseen monsters. If I wasn't fishing I was reading about it or fannying about with bits of tackle. A defining moment at this time was seeing a picture of Peter Hancocks 40lb pike out of Horsey Mere, unforgettable. I lived in the middle of 3 park lakes, one had carp, one pike, and the other eels. That was me set, so by about 10 I was teaching myself to catch all three. Every day and night I could, I'd be fishing. At 14, caught my first 20lb pike at 24.06lb on a sink n draw roach (last day of the season, wagged a day off school. lol) and that was me hooked on pike. John Sidley lived by me and used to fish the lake I did for eels.. he helped me along a lot and taught me about live and deadbaiting for them. One of the most inspirational anglers a budding specimen hunter could ever meet. RIP John. Did quite a bit of stick float fishing for barbel during this time as well.

Left school and things opened up, fishing farther away and for bigger fish on harder and harder waters. Spent 18 months fishing for carp full time, got quite deep into bait, sold base mixes to fund it.

Pike fished a lot at Hollowell late 80's/mid 90's and on the Severn and Avon. Then in, I think, 1990, Bob Baldock and Kevin Maddocks released a video of them catfishing in Spain (when the spanish record was 99lb).. a mate owned a tackle shop and gave it me to watch. Blew me away. I had to go! Nobody knew where it was and KM was telling no-one, but my mate eventually found it and we went in 1992, and for a lot of years after. He eventually moved there and set-up the first uk guiding service. That saw me fishing for catfish for about 17yrs over here and abroad, and pike in the winters. You'll know Crackers Meadow for sure Wanderer.

My fishing eventually became stagnant so about 12 years ago decided it was high time I learnt how to lure fish properly, as I'd been promising to do for years. Best decision I ever made. Been lure fishing for bass for a few years as well and that's a fantastic way to spend time.

Nowadays, at 47, I'm just as keen if not more tbh! lol. I've recently changed how I work so I can pretty much go fishing any day I want, and I'm enjoying my fishing as much, if not more than I ever have because of the freedom. :) Body is wearing out a bit now though. :wh

Sorry if that's a bit long, it's hard to compress into few words and I admire those who can.