Filming every UK freshwater fish

jackperks

Reaction score
Some of you may know about my mission to try and film every freshwater fish in the UK, I'm down to the last few species and wondered if people knew any clear water venues that hold them? if not I can film them in specially set up tanks.

DM if you don't want to reveal locations to the public, I don't disclose where I film the fish.

More info on the project site here
Beneath the water line

* Sunbleak/Motherless Minnow
* Brook Trout
* Vendace
* Black Bullhead Catfish
* Burbot
* Allis Shad
* Twaite Shad
* River Lamprey

Sea fish that enter rivers

* Sand Smelt
* Smelt
* Sea Bass
* Thick Lipped Mullet
* Thin Lipped Mullet
* Golden Grey Mullet

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Most of those are going to present you with difficulty I imagine, the ones I have heard of!
The mullet shouldn't be too difficult. Two places come to mind, the upper part of the Royalty Fishery on the Hampshire Avon. I have seen big shoals and in clear water. But you will need a hot-line to know when they are there. The other is the River Cuckmere in Sussex. A mile or so from the estuary I have seen many when its low tide and the water is fairly clear. At least you can see the fish fairly clearly when its down to about 1-3ft. Its tidal but a walk along should reveal many in the summer and I imagine film-able but its muddy banks, so you would have to be careful as to how you entered the water or at least choose your spot to do so. Also, always a chance of spotting a Bass along this stretch but, not at low water; I think they tend to come in with the flood tide and go out again as it ebbs; catching one to film would not be easy but you might kill two birds with one stone. A job most likely for July, August , September as well....
many of the Southern rivers have Bass run up them in the summer, the Ouse and the Adur are two more worth thinking about.
Going back to Mullet, the Brede that runs out at Rye has quite a few mullet in the summer and the water is often clear. The banks are about 4ft of water to 12-15 ft in the middle. The mullet often roam about on the surface, thin and thick lipped, I have seen them both, good grassy banks to work from as well. July, August probably the best time.

Last edited:

jackperks

Reaction score
Most of those are going to present you with difficulty I imagine, the ones I have heard of!
The mullet shouldn't be too difficult. Two places come to mind, the upper part of the Royalty Fishery on the Hampshire Avon. I have seen big shoals and in clear water. But you will need a hot-line to know when they are there. The other is the River Cuckmere in Sussex. A mile or so from the estuary I have seen many when its low tide and the water is fairly clear. At least you can see the fish fairly clearly when its down to about 1-3ft. Its tidal but a walk along should reveal many in the summer and I imagine film-able but its muddy banks, so you would have to be careful as to how you entered the water or at least choose your spot to do so. Also, always a chance of spotting a Bass along this stretch but, not at low water; I think they tend to come in with the flood tide and go out again as it ebbs; catching one to film would not be easy but you might kill two birds with one stone. A job most likely for July, August , September as well....
many of the Southern rivers have Bass run up them in the summer, the Ouse and the Adur are two more worth thinking about.
Going back to Mullet, the Brede that runs out at Rye has quite a few mullet in the summer and the water is often clear. The banks are about 4ft of water to 12-15 ft in the middle. The mullet often roam about on the surface, thin and thick lipped, I have seen them both, good grassy banks to work from as well. July, August probably the best time.

My missis used to live near rye so know it well so may well give that a go. cheers as for burbot I'm waiting for someone to reintroduce them again!