Reflections on the year?

B

binka

There are two obvious and regular times when I tend to reflect on my recent fishing, the end of the year and the end of the season.

To that effect I have to say that I’ve had a fantastic last six months and some great fish, notably I’ve taken far more barbel on the float than the tip for the first season ever which has been an aim of mine for the last two or three seasons and has finally come to fruition.

Individual fish?

It’s hard to say, despite my love of and concentrated efforts in pursuit of big perch I think the 2lb 3oz roach would have to be my pick of the crop, a very special fish indeed for me.

On the calamity side of things a summer dunking springs to mind when I found myself taking a step off of an overgrown, vertical drop to find myself lay on my side and submerged in the river a split second later!

But without a doubt the highlights and most treasured memories of the year are the great people I’ve met and the friendships forged, there’s nothing quite like putting faces to names and I hope that it continues for a very long time to come.

So, what stands out as particularly memorable for you over the last year?

thecrow

Reaction score
Without wanting to embarrass anyone the highlight of this year has been the rekindling of my enthusiasm for angling, this has been due entirely to one member on Fishing Magic, I think everyone knows who that is without me mentioning his name. Thanks mate. Hoping to meet others off here before the end of the season and perhaps catch that river Zander I have neglected.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Nothing particularly spectacular to report this year, but I've enjoyed myself anyway. Highlights of the year have included finding some fairly decent grayling in a childhood haunt, chasing half decent roach in a small stillwater and a couple of special treat trips to the Trent. I can't say that the results were particularly spectacular in the latter, but a change is as good as a rest and I enjoyed myself both times, especially the first when I had good company.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Highlight and lowlight of the year for me came within 10 mins of each other. After years of trying I finally hook one of the real beast sea trout from the river I frequent each summer....then drop the damn thing straight back into the river within seconds of landing it. From utter elation to total despair in the space of 5 seconds.

That was my fish of a lifetime....and no, I'm still not over it and don't think I ever will be. Nothing else I've done or caught this year even gets close.

trotter2

Reaction score
I started the year feeling like jacking it all in :(. I managed to keep going, won a few matches made some new friends and hey ho I started to enjoy it all again. Done a lot more pleasure fishing this year lads, stick float fishing with a centrepin. Back to my youthful style of fishing a river :) dace, chub and grayling "magic".

robtherake

Reaction score
An easy year's fishing. No expectations, just plain, simple,stressless enjoyment. Had my string pulled plenty and met some lovely people as the family toured a number of campsites with lakes attached. I'll never forget the sight of that great big stork behind the Withernsea campsite, or the short-eared owl hunting by day, almost within spitting distance at times.

Looking forward to getting back on the road in late spring and maybe sneaking in a few ambles down the Tees and Swale, rolling bacon grill and meatballs, but with a couple of sprats and a snap tackle at the ready for Mr Pike.
One of the waters I fished has a habit of thowing up the occasional big perch (which no-one seems to fish for.) No lives or artificials allowed, so it'll be floatfished or dropshotted worm on one rod and a little deadbait on t'other. Now I think about it this is probably the bit I'm looking forward to most; should get a full week at it, maybe two, with a bit o' luck. Who knows what'll turn up? And that's the beauty of it, in my book. :)

steve2

Reaction score
Bit of a mixed year for me, started of well with pike, plenty of doubles topped of by a lake best of 22lbs. Then went downhill health wise, off work from April to October, two ops later they solved the problem. No fishing at all in the summer.
Now back chasing pike for the rest of the year on a new water which is throwing up a few problems.

seth49

Reaction score
It's been a good year for me,I retired in January at sixty five. Best thing I did must admit I felt lost at first, Having been working for fifty odd years.
But in April me and my mate found a new fishery for us that we had never heard of.
It used to be a day ticket water but it's now members only after the owner had problems with things being stolen of his farm.
There's a good range of fish and there all in superb condition, The carp go to nearly thirty pounds plus there's big roach Rudd crucians and the usual coarse fish.
There's no night fishing, boilies ,nuts or ground bait ,so there's not many out and out carp men, most just fish for what ever comes along.
I had plenty of fish in the margins on float. Plus a sleeper rod out for the carp.
Also done a lot of floater fishing for the carp, which I really enjoy.i have done very little fishing in the last month. To wet for me after a lifetime working outside. Wil just pick the odd good day till spring.
Gives me a chance to catch up on any jobs around the house, and it keeps the wife happy.
Just want some better weather now.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A very memorable year for me being the first year I've fished since a lad over forty years ago. Having finally escaped London for Kent with a wealth of good fishing venues life hasn't been better. I would never have imagined the catches I've had this year, catching Sturgeon for the first time with a dozen in total all very different in their markings. Surface fishing for the first time in my life and the excitement of the "take" as an angry carp slurps down a dog biscuit. Learning the pellet waggler method which initially was a dismal failure followed then by a trip to Chart Sutton fishery and catching in excess of 150lb, not being a match angler can't say I'd want to repeat that.

Then of course catching my best fish of all time, a 3lb 10oz perch in the same week that FM announced the challenge. This has been a bit of a turning point, without doubt the stripey is the most beautiful of all coarse fish and as a lad I remember vividly their decline with the virus wiping them out across the country, it's so good to see the back and truly flourishing especially in commercial waters where the carp is king. This has led me to targeting a particular species for the first time normally live baiting, this in turn has resulted in the first of a few blank days, not sure I've got the patience for that so it was a joy to catch my third 3+ on lobworm.

Hope none of this comes across as big headed, I'm still on a steep learning curve and frankly some of these commercial waters are so heavily stocked it's easy to catch fish.

So, already I'm turning my attention to some "proper" fishing catching some wild fish from the river. I've been a bit reluctant being of an age where I don't want to be hacking through undergrowth and then faced with a slippery muddy bank with a fast flowing river in front of me, spells disaster. I've recently discovered some very civilised swims along the Stour flowing through Canterbury which hold good roach, chub and the odd barbel and perch. Learning the art of trotting is going to consume much of my second year and if I can comeback here with more positives I'd be a very happy bunny.

barbelboi

Reaction score
It’s been a ‘different’ year. Usually I fish at least twice a week - during the last five months I’ve fished twice (both on most enjoyable fishins’ where it was good to meet up with some old friends and a few new faces). Now that the work to the ‘new’ house/garden is completed I’m looking forward to being back on the river bank early in the New Year................

wanderer

Reaction score
Well this year has been much the same as previous few years, mainly spent on my beloved estate lake, peace amonst the lilies, you could turn the clock back 500 years and not notice. One early prebaiting campaign on the Billing Marina chasing an old dream, nearly suceeded and then disappointment, 30 years of obsession kited off and pulled the hooks, all in the first five minutes, never hooked another, lovely chub from Cogenhoe early on and still missing my holiday home down there, Zilch Barbel but only a couple of Ouse trips possible. Rare night sessions with a couple of buddies, and finally time to take my winter break, all work till the end of January, then its plan the new year, sling a few flies and brew up some new baits, much the same as last year and meet some more new buddies.

mike47

Reaction score
Have now been two years on my return to fishing after many years of other sports. Absolutely loving every minute and am learning pretty quickly. Caught pb's for carp. bream and roach this summer so am delighted. Will ease off a bit this winter, get my first pole, read plenty and be as keen as ever. My retirement has been a joy so far and long may it continue for us all. Mike.

theartist

Reaction score
I got a few new rivers under my belt whilst showing some love to some of the old haunts. Found out how to get big roach from the Severn and can't wait to get back up there.

Plus done my first book cover so expect some shameless plugs for that in the future :D

bracket

Reaction score
I am happy to have made it through this year intact and still be able to do most of what I use to do, to a standard that I am satisfied with. I can't pick out any highs, because just doing it is good enough for me. I don't keep account of personal bests no more than I do personal worsed, they are not important to me. So I am looking forward to doing more of the same in the coming year and a little sad that some of my peers are nolonger around to enjoy it with me, That's the only downside that passes through my mind at this time of year. Pete.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Having found my fishing days reducing in number partly because I've just done two books back to back it's good to get out a lot more the last few weeks.

Overall it's been disappointing for river roach for me but a highlight of a couple of 2lb roach from stillwaters that 5 years ago I won't have envisaged producing any.

My highlight has been finally beating my PB dace with more decent ones than I've had for a very long time, and catching my first Frome bream. Importantly I'm enjoying my fishing though frustrated by traffic problems that make it hard work to get to some venues that will have to wait.

peterjg

Reaction score
Moved June 2013 where during the summer I usually did around 60 nights carp fishing in the Colne Valley then mostly roach fishing in winter. I have spent most of this year still exploring the Kennet and K&A canal for roach. Best roach this year was 1lb 9ozs from the Kennet, I fluked within half an hour of each other two perch (while after roach) the first went 3lbs 2 ozs on half a lobworm and the second went 3lbs 4ozs on maggots from the K&A. Also had a couple of grayling, various chub, dace, bream, etc, but no barbel this year. Thoroughly enjoyed it all, wish I had moved many years earlier.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Two new waters for me this year.

First i set out for some Bream on a 40 acre lake. Tried out a new method mix come ground bait that I have been playing around with. I will tell you all what it is , nothing special, but it works, and its cheap.

First session I only had 6 fish over night, and to around 7lb tops.

Couple of weeks later, everything came together, 14 fish, smallest 8lb 3oz, best 11lb 9oz, lost a couple of good fish also.

The other water is over a 100 acre's, and i am after the Roach. Had some good days, with fish well over the pound make, it's been reported to have produced a few 3lb plus fish, but that was a number of years ago, and no pictures to back up any reports. Rest of the season on this water for me.

A great day on the Itchen, stocking it with Eels for skippy the following week ;)

Not bothered with any Barbel this year, but ended up catching a few when after Roach on the River Lea.

All in all i have enjoyed it, even the blanks.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Personal health issues continued to crop up for the first part of the year and this, along with the time looking after my mum and dealing with her problems, seriously stunted my time on the bank. Not to the point that I couldn't get out from time to time, but more that I couldn't make any form of plan, which is what I like to do around a particular species.
I've caught some wonderful fish and enjoyed every bit of my time next to the water - not only for the fishing but the incredible wildlife all around me...

Still not managed that 2lb roach but I'm trying hard, and perhaps next year I will have more time to apply myself properly - that's the plan anyway !!

Looking toward nest year I think Iwould like to try a new water or two................

flightliner

Reaction score
An interesting year with a pb pike in febuary, but in the main poles apart from last when I was on a roll with the big fish, Bream,Tench ,and Perch in the warmer months. This year the same water went as hard as a rock but thats fishing .
Hooking up with Binka before the season opened was a delight to see just how effective chopped worm can be on the day and knowing we would have a return meet later in the season would definately be on the cards.
A bad viral attack was my year low, it putting me out for the count for a fortnight but, finally over it was time for some float fishing for Trent Barbel where I finally achieved my eight year dream of beating my flote caught pb of 13-13 with one of 14-1 along with another double later in the day.
Around the same time I was also concentrating on the lower tidal section with hemp n tare for roach and on one massive tide was almost biteless for two hours but when the colour dropped away ended with a lovely bag of redfins- a few days later repeating things with a big catch of dace.
A few nice zeds followed by a quick fall from grace is, I'm led to believe par for the coarse but I was in esteemed company so no real complaints.
Hoping for a nice chub or so before a christmas break this week to conclude the year , if it happens great, if not no matter as whatever the day, year or decades bring me I will just carry on enjoying every single trip to the waterside be it river or stillwater.

Last edited:

barryjh

Reaction score
Well I fished the same pit I fished last year, only difference being it has beat the living daylights out of me this time round! Just three carp for the year, however one of those was a new pb, which makes all the pain worth it :eek:mg:.

On a brighter note I took to fishing the Trent with a feeder rod (which is something I haven't done since I was a lad fishing with my dad), not targeting anything in particular, just trying to remind myself what a fish actually looks like and give my mind a break from the blanking!; didn't catch anything spectacular but really thouroughly enjoyed it, and will definately continue this way of fishing.