Bolt rigs. Ledger stops on the mainline safe?

laguna

Reaction score
Bolt rigs have a place in my angling as I'm always looking to improve hook-ups rates and believe a free-running or 'slip-resist' in-line lead system (bar no lead at all), is probably the safest system to use.

I recently came across something that I think epitomises the danger of bolt rigs namely; ledger stops on the mainline above the lead.
One stop on its own is okay as intended but I would call into question the following setup:

As long as the ring can pass over the stop, it remains safe and will not tether the fish should the mainline break. Fair enough but what about putting no less than three (3) ledger stops above the lead instead of below it to prevent any possible movement - with one pushed tightly inside a rubber shock bead?
There's a video of it but it doesn't make it clear which end is which to a beginner unless you have actually used it.

Obviously nothing we do as anglers can be 100% safe, and you will always get someone confused as to which way round they should put things. Those 3 ledger stops + bead are designed to stop the lead sliding back, not prevent it sliding up the main line.

Many rigs call in to question the merits of catching at all costs but its not always the case as the example above demonstrates. Other examples of poor rig design and practice are evident all around us but I do think the more components there are, the more confusion will arise.

wanderer

Reaction score
I use inline bolts, 3 ounce , the type where thehooklink swivel pushes in the back of the lead and becomes free running on take, in my opinion no other form of bolt should be used.

rayner

Reaction score
I don't restrict the lead from sliding up the line ever. I don't like missing bites but bolt rigs are not safe to my mind.

laguna

Reaction score
I use inline bolts, 3 ounce , the type where thehooklink swivel pushes in the back of the lead and becomes free running on take, in my opinion no other form of bolt should be used.
Yep I think I know the ones. Better than the swivel that goes in the end of a lead clip?, if they aren't in tight enough the swivel pulls out on a take and the lead will never release. This is a major design fault imo.
Can I ask, do you know what sort of force is required to dislodge the lead on your setup? I don't doubt it works well and safe, just curious that's all.

P

pointngo

I don't think there is any excuse for creating a fixed lead system with ledger stops. The information is easily available to anyone (and has been for decades) who wants to know so ignorance and bad rig design isn't a valid excuse. In Law, ignorance isn't a defence and this is no different imho.

When carp fishing an inline lead is my first choice if possible as the weight of the lead is immediately transferred to the hook. With lead clips, there's a fair bit of movement before the weight of the lead kicks in.

I've never been a great fan of lead clips.. as you say, the swivel can easily pull free, but as long as the whole clip then pulls off the end it isn't really much of an issue.

Like you though, I prefer to keep the clip in place and lose the lead if possible and came across these a while back when sorting out a river pike rig...

Avid Carp Tube Gripper Lead Clips

First used them for gripping tubing but the way the swivel fits in, the two parts fit together, and can be pinned, is very useful and the best design i've come across if you don't want your clip coming loose.

wanderer

Reaction score
Yep I think I know the ones. Better than the swivel that goes in the end of a lead clip?, if they aren't in tight enough the swivel pulls out on a take and the lead will never release. This is a major design fault imo.
Can I ask, do you know what sort of force is required to dislodge the lead on your setup? I don't doubt it works well and safe, just curious that's all.
Never really give it much thought, they always come out and end up the line, had plaayed with COG leads but found some of the designs dangerously flawed and perfect for a mainline tether.

laguna

Reaction score
Absolutely understand the concerns regards safety and potential for getting things wrong. Rig designers have a huge responsibility towards fish safety, as such, products must work as intended, less prone to anglers getting it wrong. I'm convinced the more components there are, the more chance someone could get it wrong and often do.

What we have to remember too, is that angling appeals to people of all ages, including children and young adults who fish with limited experience. This demographic often tend to copy others without fully understanding exactly how a rig works. A lot are savvy but a lot do get it wrong as well. We've all been there at some point.

I don't like lead clips or fixed rigs. I don't use those ledger stops or swivels pushed into tubing either. I know how they work but I don't like them.
My setup is simplicity itself, you could say its child proof (suits me)... it still works if its put on backwards! :eek:mg:
Consisting of an in-line lead plus a SINGLE rig component to set the hook on a take. The lead then moves up the line and stays out of harms way while playing a fish. I believe this is better as it stops the lead moving back towards a thrashing fish when the rod is held high.

No need to eject a lead on a take or any of those daft ideas, as long as it safely falls off if the mainline breaks, that's all that matters.

Thanks for your answers.

wanderer

Reaction score
As long as you are not casting too far, try the plasticine, it drops off with no toxicity, very cheap and easy to use, love it for snags and lilies.

steve2

Reaction score
This is the one area where commercials score over other lakes. The rules on all the ones I have fished state that rigs must be free running.

markhib

Reaction score

I use a similar inline set-up (with much smaller leads and probably fish).
The force can be adjusted by lightly crushing the swivel until it's virtually free running.
Mark.

snooozer

Reaction score
Someone's got to bite; it may as well be muggins :) : What's the single component?

I'll stand with ya lol
Quite interested to see how you get the lead to run up the line even with the rod held high ?
Don't get me wrong i'm not questioning your setup just curious how it works.

laguna

Reaction score
Only two takers? lol

Sorry for being vague, pics later.

To clarify; the force of a fish bolting sends the lead up the line out of harms way. It doesn't travel up the line by lifting the rod. Unlike normal in-line's that fly back and forth, it mostly stays there even when the rod is raised.