''The inigma of industrial areas''

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
From an angling perspective such waters can prove to be the most frustrating. In my area there are a number of waters that fall into this catagory, that have been fished intensely for eighty years or more. In the main due to their proximity to the city of Sheffield. Contrary to what may be assumed, several of these waters are set in beautiful surroundings. But oh so very ''hard'' to come to grips with. But, should you overcome the oft quoted ''heartbreak water'', the rewards can be amazing with fish that can rival even the most celebrated waters.

Just a sample, Pike to over 35lbs, Roach to 2lb12oz, Perch up to 5lbs and Bream topping 11lbs. Not bad for waters that most would discount.

Has anyone else got experience of such waters.

wanderer

Reaction score
The old gas works cut of the Nene, now sadly a retail park, massive Chub in the seventies, Abington Mill further down, the old tannery cut, very large carp, the river was re routed mid seventies to accomodate the A45 trunk road, vvery sad loss, this is now a dead arm still contains big fish, nobody goes there.

B

binka

There's a very large water known as Kings Mill Reservoir which sits on the outskirts of Mansfield and opposite the huge, new hospital.

There are known to be some very big carp in there which wouldn't interest me but I also know there are pike, perch and roach some of which I'm sure will be huge along with some real dustbin lid bream.

I've had success there many years ago and haven't fished it for a long while although I did have a drive up there a week or so ago to have a look and it got the juices going.

It is known as a heartbreaker these days so it will take some prising me off of other waters to do it but I reckon the rewards will be there for anyone putting in the work.

Philip

Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of fishing in industrial areas although more on rivers than lakes. Some of the fishing & fish can be unbelievably good. However my main problem with fishing these places is not so much with any difficulties around the fishing …low stock or difficult access etc etc…its more around the aspect of personal safety. Even more so as I fish alone.

Some little tips for anyone trying it …hiding yourself away as best you can is always a good idea…so biveys and the like are out….Don’t park the car on top of you …you may as well have a neon sign saying “I am here!” …hide the rods on remote buzzers if you need, tuck the tackle away. Try and make it look like your not even fishing if you can. Finally know were you are so you can be found. …have the cell phone to hand …even have a draft SMS written up with your location on it & a short message that you can send in seconds in the event of problems.

Yes I know I make it sounds more like a war zone than tranquil fishing and I know it wont be everyone’s cup of tea…its not my first choice either, but sometimes the fishing can be just too good to ignore.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The closest I get to industrial areas are rivers and becks that had large scale lead mining, and the odd mill, hundreds of years ago. I suppose that the odd gravel and brick pit might count as industrial, but you'd generally not notice by the time anglers get on them.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear a comment from that illustrious group PASC, who hold an annual fish in on one of the waters I alluded to, as they have fished the ''Flask'' in recent years. As indeed have many other members of FM.

Or is the lack of response fodder for a suspicious mind.

B

binka

It would be interesting to hear a comment from that illustrious group PASC, who hold an annual fish in on one of the waters I alluded to, as they have fished the ''Flask'' in recent years. As indeed have many other members of FM.

I think they've been having flyers with spectacular catches Derek and they're all staying shtum to keep others away :)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score

Erm, it has been said, (by less nice individuals than myself of course), that some of those illustrious PaSC Members couldn't catch an STD in a uncontrolled house of ill repute . . . . . . .

As for some of the more industrialised areas to fish I think Mick (flightliner) has had considerable success on some of his local stretches . . . .

ciprinus

Reaction score
i quite often go for a walk along the cut when my wife is shopping at the new complex adjacent that was built on ground poisoned by an aluminum works, when i were a sprog the ali factory had a run off from the cut to act as coolant for some process or other that drained back to the canal, bringing all sorts of toxins with it, it was known as the dead arm for obvious reasons. but now as i walk quietly along i see all manner of fish present. some including pike up well into double figures. one day :D:D

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Derek

Try the Lea Navigation, half of it's length runs through London, much now is a No Go area after dark !!

But it still holds some brilliant fish.

Bob
0032.JPG

View image in gallery

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Derek

Try the Lea Navigation, half of it's length runs through London, much now is a No Go area after dark !!

Bit it still holds some brilliant fish.

Bob

I fish the Lea navigation from time to time. Some good fishing to be had.

You can night fish some sections, which is fine,,

As long as you have a shotgun with you…………...:eek:

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I think that the last posts are indicative of many areas throughout the country, industrial or not. Widespread tackle theft, intimidation and the ''rape'' of our fisheries on a never seen before level.

Saint's preserve us.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time a couple of years ago on a pool just behind Ryecroft cemetery with a railway line and factories behind it.

It was full of stunning fish two or three massive carp some great tench and roach.
I had a six pound tench out , spent many an hour catching 8 inch roach out of about two foot of water with a whip and spent a fraught hour with a floating dog biscuit right on the nose of a carp that was nearer twenty than ten. I have since learned that if they are not feeding then thee is no point lobbing the bait at them though it was a great cast.

This was a totally public pool and various guys over the years had made attempts at creating work parties etc but in the end everyone gave up and I stopped fishing there when the litter and the hassle and the kids jumping in became too much.

It was a shame because the fishing was superb.

john10

Reaction score
From an angling perspective such waters can prove to be the most frustrating. In my area there are a number of waters that fall into this catagory, that have been fished intensely for eighty years or more. In the main due to their proximity to the city of Sheffield. Contrary to what may be assumed, several of these waters are set in beautiful surroundings. But oh so very ''hard'' to come to grips with. But, should you overcome the oft quoted ''heartbreak water'', the rewards can be amazing with fish that can rival even the most celebrated waters.

Just a sample, Pike to over 35lbs, Roach to 2lb12oz, Perch up to 5lbs and Bream topping 11lbs. Not bad for waters that most would discount.

Has anyone else got experience of such waters.

I totally agree Derek, I've spent many years fishing the Flask and to a lesser extent Underbank and the scenery takes some beating. Pike fishing the Flask in winter can be a gruelling business though, especially when the water level is low and there's nothing to stop the wind howling down from Bradfield! The spectacular dawns make up for it though. Some big chub in there too.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
I totally agree Derek, I've spent many years fishing the Flask and to a lesser extent Underbank and the scenery takes some beating. Pike fishing the Flask in winter can be a gruelling business though, especially when the water level is low and there's nothing to stop the wind howling down from Bradfield! The spectacular dawns make up for it though. Some big chub in there too.

Spot on John, during the last sixty years I've fished throughout the country, and have yet to find a large water of such beauty so close to an industrial city. Find yourself there on a pleasant Autumn day and be sure to be bewitched. To say nothing of the calibre of fish that ''were'' present, although so hard to catch or locate.

For a number of years there was a standing joke amongst the Dam Keeper and bailiffs, that the only thing that spent more time on the banks than me was the grass. So captivated was I by the place, and well rewarded for my time and effort.

flightliner

Reaction score
. To say nothing of the calibre of fish that ''were'' present, although so hard to catch or locate.
t.
True Del, tho a friend of mine used to wait eagerly for when the levels were really low with drought, then up at the neck end would build one or two promontaries of low stone walls at right angles to the "river"that would be used as fish for either refuge or ambush when covered with water during the winter times. He would then position a marker for referance and often had some humungous perch for his efforts.
No doubt you know the chap, very good at things.
ps- yes, you're correct, the flask to many must rate as one of the most beautiful places in the country to sit and enjoy a day by the waterside.

Last edited:

john10

Reaction score
True Del, tho a friend of mine used to wait eagerly for when the levels were really low with drought, then up at the neck end would build one or two promontaries of low stone walls at right angles to the "river"that would be used as fish for either refuge or ambush when covered with water during the winter times. He would then position a marker for referance and often had some humungous perch for his efforts.
No doubt you know the chap, very good at things.
ps- yes, you're correct, the flask to many must rate as one of the most beautiful places in the country to sit and enjoy a day by the waterside.

Very true Flightliner. The "river" could really fish well and one place where you could locate the chub easily. Finding the fish with a few floating crusts or Chum mixer then sitting well upstream and fishing a bait down to them led to some exciting fishing! It was one fish then move on or wait until they'd settled down again.
I've not fished the Flask now for six years and I do miss the place. I only live 20 miles away and could easily make the trip but it was so handy when I lived on the doorstep. Blanking seems easier somehow when you're 5 minutes from home!

john10

Reaction score
My memory's being jogged now!

Another place I used to visit was Just below the Flask -Marshall's pond. Anyone remember that? It was my first introduction to carp fishing. Waters containing them were pretty thin on the the ground locally at that time.

Fishing one rod, floatless weightless tackle and silver paper indicators (no alarms) it was SO exciting when the silver paper shot up and hit the rod. I started there aged 19 in 1966. We used to catch a bus on Saturday afternoon, fish all night and because the day permit expired early and the buses weren't running, we used to walk back down the Loxley valley and up the hill to Crookes. A fair old trek with all the gear, not that we had a great deal of tackle at the time.

When my son started fishing and after he'd had a bit of experience with roach and perch etc. I took him there and have very fond memories of our times spent on warm summer evenings trying to coax the carp to take floating crusts.
I've been back and it's not the same for me but then how could it be? Very good memories though.