Waterproof boots

naxian62

Reaction score
Some time ago I put a post up about my wellies, which kept splitting, so NOT waterproof any more! I got a lot of replies saying how Muckboots were the biz.

So to you Muckboot owners, ARE they waterproof?

As I see it with this climate F*** up that we have created, our Winters will only become wetter. So with that in mind 100% waterproof is the way to go.

P

pointngo

I've had a pair of Tay Sport for about 5 or 6 years and they're completely waterproof (only wear them if I'm baitfishing in sub zero temps as they're too hot otherwise)... but like all wellies, they can cause fatigue when walking any long distance in them, especially the winter version which tend to have a thicker sole.

Depends on what sort of fishing you do but proper walking/hiking boots might suit you better if you move about a lot, ie lure fishing.

Trouble is with walking boots; as with fishing gear, waders, jackets, etc, it can be hard to find something that is actually waterproof, and stays like that for any length of time.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
They have a deserved reputation for quality IMHO. As with all boots they need to be looked after properly when not in use. I've had mine for a few years now and wouldn't be without them....
However, before I bought them I was lead to believe they would ' keep your feet warm as toast ' and although they do a good job, they do NOT keep feet WARM in winter IMHO. This may have something to do with my age though...........and sitting on river banks in freezing temperatures !!

You will need to have a good look at the range and ask what type of Muck boot suits your particular requirements - lots to choose from....

john step

Reaction score
Just looked at their prices as a result of this thread. They aint cheap are they.
If warmth is not an issue just waterproof, you can buy an awful lot of ordinary wellies to be regularly replaced at that rate?

If the waterproof level is feet and ankles depth only and not calf length then the carp type boots with water proof bottoms and thick inners are warm and also easily and cheaply replaced.(Hardware £20) I use these, a size larger with an extra pair of thermal walking socks and have toasty feet. A bit sweaty at times.

They certainly are safer with much more grip on slippery banks than the Essex Skeetex thermal (and waterproof ) boots they replaced.

This next bit I 100% believe in.....Also buy a tub of anti athletes foot powder and regularly treat the inside of waterproof footware. As I posted once before....failure could see your feet looking like flakey pastry:eek:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Thermal liners and heat holder socks Tee-Cee. :thumbs:

If your sitting in a swim all day, i would go along with that. But i have found if your roving around, you feet will over heat with the thermal liners, heat holder socks not so bad.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Muck Boot "Chore". superb for wandering around the bank, comfortable, warm (two pairs of woollen socks) and waterproof up to just below the knee :eek:mg:

Bought mine from a Farm/Equestrian Tack Shop for a bargain, they were about £20 cheaper than anywhere else but that was pure chance.

P

pointngo

If your sitting in a swim all day, i would go along with that. But i have found if your roving around, you feet will over heat with the thermal liners, heat holder socks not so bad.

I meant to say wicking, thermal liner socks Ray but I agree with you, my muckboots can get hot if you're moving about a lot.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've owned two pairs of wellies in the last twenty odd years. They get hammered more than most as I use them for shooting and beating as well as fishing. I keep seeing things that suggest that the quality and longevity of the Hunter brand has dropped off in the last few years or so, but I'm quite happy with them though they were anything but cheap. I do notice that Hunters, Le Chameaus and similarly expensive boots remain remarkably popular amongst the shooting/beating types, even those that aren't remotely wealthy.
The type I have aren't built to be particularly warm during static activities. Decent socks are enough to help in all but the coldest conditions.

If all I were doing in wellies was fishing, I'd have a pair of Muckboots (or Grubs) with little hesitation. I'm not sure I'd expect the same level of longevity though.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
My Muckers are the warmest and most comfortable boots I've ever owned....and I only wear 1 pair of decent socks. Big Phil bought a pair of Tays and complains that they are too warm for anything but the coldest weather.

Worth every penny IMO but I agree with my learned friend that they miight not be the best choice for scrambling through brambles etc. I don't get Hunters at all....rubbish IMO and way overpriced for what they are too. And don't get me started on Le Chameau....that's just people showing off to their toff mates.

Grrrrrrr !

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
pointngo..........seeing both on Amazon. The former by ' Sock shop ' and the latter by
' Fenside Outdoors ' among others, BUT I haven't checked best prices yet..

1. Do you use both at the same time ?
2. If so, would this be too much bulk for the boots ? ( I have plenty of room for current socks, though )
3. Any other make based on your usage ?

Many thanks for your help !!

Tony

ps I agree with others around the warmth issue when MOVING around from swim to swim, but sitting in one swim for hours doesn't help circulation and feet tend to stay cold... HOWEVER, as I said, this is also to do with poor circulation in my case !

Last edited:
P

pointngo

I use Bridgedale liners Tony.. they do a summer version and a thermal version. They're both very thin and don't really add much bulk but they do wick away any moisture which helps keep your feet warm.

The heat holder socks are very good and not that bulky but they do wear out... don't wash them inside out or you'll end up with loads of black fluff everywhere. :mad:

I rarely sit still when fishing so for most of the winter the thermal liners and walking boots do me. If it gets colder the heat holders go over the top.

Sitting still is a recipe for cold feet when it gets sub zero.

You might want to take a look at Baffin boots as well.. not owned any myself but a mate of mine swears by them.

wanderer

Reaction score
Take a look at Askari website, lots of Scandinavian brands, i have had a pair for years, not expensive , waterproof and very warm.

greenie62

Reaction score
Take a look at Askari website, lots of Scandinavian brands, i have had a pair for years, not expensive , waterproof and very warm.

Unfortunately - the Askari brand website is also used by a US West Coast women's designer dress company - expensive tastes Wanderer! ;):D

I guess the one you mean is this one: Wellingtons at low prices | Askari Hunting Shop

A wide range of products - some at very good prices - one or two even have a steel shank which I've not seen for a few years! - supports your foot so you don't get damage from rocks.

They also had these on the site: http://www.askari-hunting.co.uk/behr-ultra-light-waders_0098166.html which seem cheap enough at £18 to roll up and keep in the boot - 'just in case'!
:thumbs:

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Strewth, no wonder they got stroppy when i ordered me bivvy, hee, hee, anyway perhaps i call myself stephanie at weekends.

B

binka

And don't get me started on Le Chameau....that's just people showing off to their toff mates.

Grrrrrrr !

Best footwear I've ever owned bar none Skip, the rubber is so soft and flexible you barely even know you're wearing 'em.

Hammered my Vierzonords week in week out several times a week for over two years and not even close to being Binka'd, wouldn't swap 'em for a gold pig :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Best footwear I've ever owned bar none Skip, the rubber is so soft and flexible you barely even know you're wearing 'em.

Hammered my Vierzonords week in week out several times a week for over two years and not even close to being Binka'd, wouldn't swap 'em for a gold pig :)

How impressed have your toff mates been?;):D:wh

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
wouldn't swap 'em for a gold pig :)

I knew a farmer who had a Pig that was a golden colour, it only had 3 legs.

I asked him why it had 3 legs,

The farmer said, That pig saved my sons life when he fell in the lake, the Pig pulled him out.

Yes, but why 3 legs,

The farmer said, that Pig saved my daughters live. She fell over the cliff hung on, and the Pig pulled her to safety.

Yes I said, but why has he got 3 legs.

Well the farmer said,

You don't eat a pig like that all at once ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek:mg::eek::D

Got my coat, Door someone please