Wooden float box help

jw3119

Reaction score
I want a wooden float box but dont fancy buying one, and anyway i need something to keep me sane when i cant wet a line. Only thing is ive never really built anything in my life, i sometimes build on ecigs but that only messing with some Kanthal and cotton.

I would prefer to use hand tools, fyi. So here it is, how do i build one lol?
What materials and tools will i need?

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi Mate
I would say if you have never built anything before I would not attempt it
while it looks any easy task its actually not that easy for someone that's not proficient at woodworking. If you want to try you will need ply wood and pine for the sides, hinges wood glue and panel pins and all the tools like saws hammers, chisels a square, rulers and that's just the basics. You make the box as a solid and cut it in half to form the two open sides. That way you get a perfect fit.

But you can buy them already made for about £10 and all you have to do is varnish or paint them. You have got to ask yourself is it worth it by the time you buy the wood and hinges it could cost near that amount.
Just my advice anyways :)

Wooden Float Box 12x8 | eBay

jw3119

Reaction score
Hi Mate
I would say if you have never built anything before I would not attempt it
while it looks any easy task its actually not that easy for someone that's not proficient at woodworking. If you want to try you will need ply wood and pine for the sides, hinges wood glue and panel pins and all the tools like saws hammers, chisels a square, rulers and that's just the basics. You make the box as a solid and cut it in half to form the two open sides. That way you get a perfect fit.

But you can buy them already made for about £10 and all you have to do is varnish or paint them. You have got to ask yourself is it worth it by the time you buy the wood and hinges it could cost near that amount.
Just my advice anyways :)

Wooden Float Box 12x8 | eBay

Oooo never saw that when i looked on ebay earlier. Think ill just get one of them and do a half decent coat of varnish. Probably best to not attempt it without woodworking experience. Rather not waste my time and money to just cock it up. Thanks alot buddy

B

binka

Always worth keeping an eye on Ebay for things like this.

If you do buy new this guy’s worth a look before you make your mind up, slightly more expensive but a wide choice of boxes including singles, doubles and bespoke all in oak and a selection of finishes.

I’ve used him several times and they really are nice boxes, the slotted foam supplied with them is real top quality and not that horrible Middy cheap stuff…

My Hand Made Float Boxes - FISHERMANS PARADISE

If you still want a bit of a project you can ask for them to be supplied without a finish as I did and do it yourself…

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I was just going to say do a ' search ' around boxes as Binka has posted some good stuff.....he beat me to it !!

Making your own is great, BUT not for the unskilled if you want a top job - and I have all the necessary tools !!

ps...Binka : Do you know of anyone who supplies the ' top quality foam ' you mentioned ? I need replacements but not if it's poor quality and really hard to tell when buying blind, so to speak..

Last edited:
B

binka

I was just going to say do a ' search ' around boxes as Binka has posted some good stuff.....he beat me to it !!

Making your own is great, BUT not for the unskilled if you want a top job - and I have all the necessary tools !!

ps...Binka : Do you know of anyone who supplies the ' top quality foam ' you mentioned ? I need replacements but not if it's poor quality and really hard to tell when buying blind, so to speak..

I needed a couple of extra strips for mine Tee-Cee and couldn't find the better stuff anywhere so I just emailed the guy in the link, he didn't charge much and after a quick paypal transaction they were in the post to me.

I'm sure he would send you some on a similar basis if you drop him a line :thumbs:

gaz@fishermansparadise.co.uk

trotter2

Reaction score
Nice boxes Binka that's the point I am making it not worth the effort when you can buy them like that for such a cheap price. I must admit I don't use a float box anymore, but if you want one those look excellent :)

john step

Reaction score
Very nice boxes Binka, I have bookmarked the web site as I really don't NEED one but thinking about it.....it would be rude not to have one would it not?

B

binka

Very nice boxes Binka, I have bookmarked the web site as I really don't NEED one but thinking about it.....it would be rude not to have one would it not?

You know it makes sense John, after all it is Christmas :)

jw3119

Reaction score
---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

[/COLOR]

If you do buy new this guy’s worth a look before you make your mind up, slightly more expensive but a wide choice of boxes including singles, doubles and bespoke all in oak and a selection of finishes.

I’ve used him several times and they really are nice boxes, the slotted foam supplied with them is real top quality and not that horrible Middy cheap stuff…

If you still want a bit of a project you can ask for them to be supplied without a finish as I did and do it yourself…

Haha that's the neatest float boxs ive seen in my life, like seriously. Honestly it may be off tooic but i wou.d really be interested in seeing your tackle boxs lol, call it professional curiosity. Would you mind posting a few pics?

dannyboy1

Reaction score

They look the business mate

Floats catch fishermen not fish.......... But they are nice arnt they

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

B

binka

Honestly it may be off tooic but i wou.d really be interested in seeing your tackle boxs lol, call it professional curiosity. Would you mind posting a few pics?

Hand on heart I don't use a tackle box.

It's a well known fact that my garage looks like an exocet has hit it and everything is in a permanent state of disarray :)

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

Floats catch fishermen not fish.......... But they are nice arnt they

I am partial to a few floats, I would definitely say they've caught a few fish too ;) :)

jw3119

Reaction score
Hand on heart I don't use a tackle box.

It's a well known fact that my garage looks like an exocet has hit it and everything is in a permanent state of disarray :)

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

I am partial to a few floats, I would definitely say they've caught a few fish too ;) :)

Haha fair enough, i usually use a ice cream tub if i cant put tackle in my pockets

john step

Reaction score
jw....Those floats in boxes are purely for lugging to a venue so they can be photographed alongside a fish to give a sense of scale.:wh

trotter2

Reaction score
The question is was it the wire stem for the Perch or the bolo for the barbel ? :D

The bad one

Reaction score
I went through a phase of making my own wooden boxes, nothing more satisfying than making and using your own and having people on the bank complement you on it for the design. This was all started with rudimentary woodworking skills and hand tools. Wasn’t good at WW at school, much better at metal work by far.
The necessity arose from not being able to find boxes that met the needs of the type of fishing I was doing at the time that would fit my rucksack. The first I made was a bit ropey so I used it for a short time and gave it away to a local kid who fished. The second was much better and I still have it. The third which was a pike fishing 4 tear box with progressively deeper sections as it went down is my favourite box, but doesn’t get used very often as I do very little piking these days.
The forth and final one I made was a 2 tear 24 X 18 inch one, which was to be attached to the top of my Trucksac That’s a whole other project though, I designed and made for trucking around big waters and taking everything I needed for a weekend in one lift.
It’s a head turner that’s for sure!

The irony of it all is I no longer use any of them on the bank, as my fishing has change again to extensively river fishing. Feeders and bits go in the groundbait bucket in a thick plastic bag, reels and clothes head torch, scales etc in the rucksack and off we go with chair and rod quiver.

flightliner

Reaction score
Just a tip for anyone thinking of making their own box. If you have a timber merchant nearby ask if he does a hardwood called JELLATONG, its what we know as the rubber tree. Cut and planed you will sometimes find the odd tiny pocket of dried rubber (latex) inside.The thing is its so light yet is very durable.I made my float trays with the stuff years and years ago, lovely stuff to work with too.
If anyone just wants to show a mitre at the box corners but wants more strength with secret dovetails just give me a call---- for users of Hardy products there will be a small charge.:wh

Last edited: