FM Writers are Revolting...?

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
In order not to interfere with Matt Corkers plea for Technical assistance on his ‘What’s wrong with FM’ thread, I’ll start a new one.

It seems a number of members have got it into their heads that some of us who have contributed articles to in the past have spat our dummies out with regard to the current lack of leadership situation that we are faced with on FM.

Although I haven’t conferred with Mark Wintle at all on this, I hope we are both on the same page. Between us we have contributed well over 400 articles for FM during the past six or so years. We have done so because we wanted to, not because we felt had to, or because we got any reward for doing so.

For me, that involved usually setting aside at least couple of hours per week to cobble up something approaching a readable effort (probably less time for Mark, what with him being a far more accomplished writer than me…)

The sum total of our joint exertions is approaching half a million words, and if that doesn’t qualify us as being committed to FM, then I don’t know what does. But that was then, and this is now, as they say.

That past commitment has not been shown to have been recognised nor even appreciated by the site’s owners, so what price loyalty? Given that, you will perhaps appreciate a reluctance to contribute any further until the current, rather fluid, situation on FM has been resolved.

For my own part, I’m afraid to say that I am actually enjoying not having to write for FM at the moment, and I dare say that Mark is putting the time saved to good use elsewhere. But please don’t let this put anyone else off writing and contributing to the site. There is no better feeling than to see your words up on the screen, and who knows where it might lead to………..

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
It wasn't my intention to accuse anyone of dummy spitting, just pointing out that to keep the site going strong a regular input will be required from as many sources as possible.

I can however appreciate your reasoning Kevin.

Cheque's in the post by the way.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
<u>THIS IS A DUPLICATE POST FROM ANOTHER THREAD BUT IS SUFFICIENTLY APPROPRIATE TO THIS ONE TOO</u>

If I can I'll try to explain a few things.

The difference between being a full time editor and one who does a couple of days a week is vast; it isn't simply three days less than usual.

As full time editor I used to look at the site every day, including weekends, and at all times from early morning until late evening, and there were very few days when I didn't do some work, even if it was just authorising avatar pictures, some gallery ones, submitted links, clubs and fisheries; all the things that you don't realise are happening because they happen in the background. Every day, seven days a week, I'd answer emails, phone calls and most days join in the forum posting.

To change that seven days a week responsibility into some kind of semi retirement I have to make myself keep off the site apart from those two days that I've agreed to do. For the most part I'm failing to do that and at least take a look at the site every day and it's taking all my willpower not to get stuck in some things that need doing. It's very hard to just switch off and pretend that FM isn't there when it's been a big part of your life for about 10 years.

The consequence of this is that some of the time during the two days I do work I'm spending answering emails, and every day I still have phone calls to do with site business.

What you have to remember is that, apart from sales and technical, I've ran this site single-handed. Other than a little help production-wise from students who were 'passing through' it's been down to me. So when my seven-day-a-week responsibility dips to two days there is bound to be a big difference to what is happening on the site.

As for the future for FM I can't tell you any more than you already know, but I'm sure there will be some news before too long. In the meantime please be patient, keep contributing, but please expect them to take longer than usual before they appear.

Incidentally, I'm not working today, officially.

I'll also add that the site's 'owners' haven't expressed any appreciation of the contributor's excellent work mainly for the reason that it has been left entirely up to me to run the site in the way I've seen fit. They're probably not fully aware of the massive effort some of them have made. This is a compliment to me I suppose in that they've put their trust in me to that extent.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

One definiton of working part time is doing a full time job in half the hours for a quarter of the pay!!! You have my sympathies Graham!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
I will try to support FM in any way that I can but saw no reason to further compound any backlog of articles by sending my own efforts into the log-jam.

Graham has done a fantastic job over the last decade and I feel that the readers/members have been somewhat spoiled.

I hope that FM can move onwards and upwards it truly is a great site but even that being so it has to be more rthan just a forum for the boys.

There is a credit crunch going on and if companies are not investing in internet advertising Magalicas revenues will have dropped...That will impact negatively on FishingMagic whether we like it or not.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Graham Marsden wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

l'll also add that the site's 'owners' haven't expressed any appreciation of the contributor's excellent work mainly for the reason that it has been left entirely up to me to run the site in the way I've seen fit. They're probably not fully aware of the massive effort some of them have made. This is a compliment to me I suppose in that they've put their trust in me to that extent.</blockquote>

Graham

Those who have contributed to the site in the past were left in no doubt as to the appreciation you showed for the effort that they put in, none more so than me.

Feedback, guidance, suggestions and encouragement were always given, and again, in my case, more than gratefully accepted.

But now.............all we can see is a metaphoricalgaping chasm to offer up our work to, and that's not the FMI joined up to, I'm afraid. T'was ever a two-way street in the past, and if that isn't the way forward, then it's not the way for me.

The Monk

Reaction score
Personally I think this site has been heavily enriched with your efforts Graham and the efforts of contributors like Kevin and Mark and quite a few others, long may you guys continue

R

Richard Drayson

However difficult and frustrating the current situation is with magicalia I feel that we should heed Graham's advice and be patient. He's in a better position than any of us to know exactly what is happening.

Incidently, I'd love to know who's been shortlisted to take over the mantle from Graham (or have I missed the thread)

The Monk

Reaction score
I think Diddy Bibbymans on the short list!
Ed2.jpg

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Kevin,

Keep writing mate, just save em until things are sorted out. That goes for all of our fantastic writers.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
I`ve written the first part of a three part series of articles based on a journey i am undertaking along a tributary i fish close to home.

It`s a place i basically learned to fish on when i was a nipper and i am re-visiting childhoodswims,reminicing,seeing whats changed and seeing what it has to offer now.

Because of the uncertanty of things etc... it`s going toappear firstin the Chub Study Groups"Chevin" magazine in november.When things become more clear,i will send it in to fishing magic.

njb51

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Steve Spiller (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Can't remember reading your last article Jonny? /forum/smilies/eye_rolling_smiley.gif</blockquote>
I've 9 of them, apparently...

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well wecan only wait and see what happens.

Without Graham things will never be the same, you couldnt find anyone else to do the great job he has done.

Its the members who keep the site going in every way, with threads, reviews, photos and articles.

If we stop, so will FM.

Lets not forget Graham should have retired, yet still he is giving up his time for FM.

If they dont find anyone, then the plug will get pulled, and we dont want that, do we.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I wish i had the technical knowledge and experienceto write an article i felt was worth while for people to learn something new about or to improve something they already use or just to make an interesting read for the majority of the FM readers.

However, i am like a lot of people who visit this site, i do it to learn from the writers who have some or all of the above that beginners or novice anglers like myself can learn from.

Without the contributions from all the writers on FM including those that just post answers to questions in the Forums i would still be a beginner and i could have found myself growing ever more dillusioned with fishing and gave it up.

Everyones contributions should be recognised as worth while from the Top of the Chain to the Beginners posting questions to help them evolve in to more experienced anglers.

Keep up the good work everyone, keep smiling, and lets sort this out in a way that everyone involved in the general day to day running of FM can be satisfied.

Tight Lines and Chins Up /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

If everyone stops contributing to FM in whatever fashion because they think it is declining then it surely is a self fulifilling prophecy.I do not think that is legacy Graham would want to leave.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Can we <u>JUST KEEP OUR HEADS PEOPLE</u> /forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gifit's likewe have become headless chickens and there is mass chaos in the ranks. Lets take a deep breath calm down it's not Magicalia that keeps the site going <u>IT'S US </u>wether it be articles, theads and reviews. <u>IF THE WORST DID HAPPEN AND FM DID SHUT DOWN WE WILL EITHER</u>

A find a new site to call home

B take over Fishing magic and run it ourselves

c leave fishing and take up some dull hobby