I sat there for five hours...

fishplate42

Reaction score
...and caught two fish!

A total of 5lb 9oz and one of them weighted 5½lb!

What surprised me was there was no activity at all. No line bites, no bubbles, no nothing just flat calm water. This was no natural water either, this was a fully stocked commercial lake.

The water was very coloured but it was absolutely flat-calm. Still I was happy with my common - the largest one I have ever caught in my 16 months of fishing. The whole story of the day can be found HERE.

23775515505_0c072925ca_c.jpg

Even though the fishing was slow, the time went by really quickly and I had a good time messing around with different baits - even the Two Dog groundbait maid very little difference. I bought a pint of maggots to use in a swim feeder and that lot weighed more than the 1oz roach I caught!

Oh well, there is always next time...

Ralph :eek:

Last edited:

snooozer

Reaction score
Have no clue why the maggott drowning didn't realise better results.
But
I did like your Boilie Blog, Keep it updated as this might nudge me towards having a go myself if i can find room in the wendy house :rolleyes:

greenie62

Reaction score
Likewise Ralph,
No idea why the fish had done a runner - can't believe it's the tried and trusted Two Dogs that's frightened them off!

Did you do a bit of research after to see what everyone :p else caught on? [Rubbing it in! :)]

Some days - it's just like that - all the best plans come to nowt - I always blame it on the weather! :D

Another excellent write-up in the Blog - BTW!

Tight Lines :thumbs:

fishplate42

Reaction score
I did like your Boilie Blog, Keep it updated as this might nudge me towards having a go myself if i can find room in the wendy house :rolleyes:

I am pleased you like my boilie recipes...

Did you see my blog about 'frylies'? They are like boilies but fried! See HERE.

I am working on some small boilies intended to match my Two Dog groundbait and will hopefully post the recipe and method soon. I really enjoy all the messing about with hook-bait and ground bait. I started doing it initially as a bit of a joke using silly names. I was really having a go at all the ridiculous sounding flavours like banana. The joke backfired as some of the concoctions actually worked and worked really well! The Two Dog groundbait being exceptionally productive during the summer.

There are lots of recipes dotted about on my blog and I am adding more all the time.

Ralph.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Likewise Ralph,
No idea why the fish had done a runner - can't believe it's the tried and trusted Two Dogs that's frightened them off!

Did you do a bit of research after to see what everyone :p else caught on? [Rubbing it in! :)]

Some days - it's just like that - all the best plans come to nowt - I always blame it on the weather! :D

Another excellent write-up in the Blog - BTW!

Tight Lines :thumbs:

The catch was way down on last year (apparently). Eveybody was having trouble. Most blamed the coloured water due to the heavy rain. I was just amazed that there was absolutely nothing happening, no bits of any kind and the hook bait was still intact after the cast and sitting out there.

The weather was mild and just a few spots of rain. It became a bit breezy in the afternoon, but nothing untoward. I think they forgot to let the fish out :mad: :D

I am pleased you like the blog, Thank you for your kind words!

Ralph :confused:

snooozer

Reaction score
I haven't but will shortly have a read.
Find myself looking on the Bay for Boilie making kit so you've opened a door that likely won't ever shut again :eek:mg:

If i understand correctly from your blog your had no immediate intention of rolling your own until the items arrived in with your intended purchase ?
Fate or just another strange occurance i wonder :)

Some of those flavours sound good enough for a christmas cake :wh

PS
Read it now and look forward to the update, Who knew there was a use for their pork pies lol

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
I haven't but will shortly have a read.
Find myself looking on the Bay for Boilie making kit so you've opened a door that likely won't ever shut again :eek:mg:

If i understand correctly from your blog your had no immediate intention of rolling your own until the items arrived in with your intended purchase ?
Fate or just another strange occurance i wonder :)

Some of those flavours sound good enough for a christmas cake :wh

PS
Read it now and look forward to the update, Who knew there was a use for their pork pies lol

Bait making is addictive. I find myself looking at all sorts of things (like the gristle pies) with a view to making something for the fish.

I think it is the disbelief on the people's face when I rock up looking like a cross between an allotment and Steptoe's yard and start pulling fish out one after the other! Have a read of THIS post and especially the last few paragraphs - made me chuckle ;)

Ralph.

snooozer

Reaction score
Great stuff and just goes to show if first you don't catch Don't go home, Move !

You have a great writting style that adds some good humour to your Blogs.

I love the first chuck of your new rod and reel minus hook ;)

fishplate42

Reaction score
Great stuff and just goes to show if first you don't catch Don't go home, Move !

You have a great writting style that adds some good humour to your Blogs.

I love the first chuck of your new rod and reel minus hook ;)

It is a real effort to move once ensconced at a swim. That was the first time I made the effort and it really paid off. I went home that night feeling happy with my day and my catch...

Thank you for your kind words regarding my blog. It is nice to know that somebody reads and actually likes my musings :)

Ralph

john step

Reaction score
That carp looks suspiciously like an F1? Nice size for a F1 if it is.
Winter and getting harder?....I have suggested worm in the past...chopped worm used sparingly as an attractor and a little piece on a small hook can work wonders when the going gets tough.
You can get a sealed bag of Dendras by post in a re sealable container that will last many sessions if kept in a cool place. Buy small worms.
Look up "Willys worms" or "Yorkshire Worms".

fishplate42

Reaction score
That carp looks suspiciously like an F1? Nice size for a F1 if it is.
Winter and getting harder?....I have suggested worm in the past...chopped worm used sparingly as an attractor and a little piece on a small hook can work wonders when the going gets tough.
You can get a sealed bag of Dendras by post in a re sealable container that will last many sessions if kept in a cool place. Buy small worms.
Look up "Willys worms" or "Yorkshire Worms".

I don't think it was an F1 as it only has 33 lateral scales. (I am no ecpert but I read that F1s have more scales than that). Also, the picture makes it look much shorter than it was - is is bent double in my landing net. I am not sure what it was - I was told it was a common by one of the other guys.

Either way it was a nice fish for me!

I know you have mentioned worms in the past. I have a compost bif full of them but I am not overly keen on chopping them up - I wonder if I am alone on this as most anglers just get on a chop them up...

...I guess that is the trouble with being a townie my entire life.

Ralph.

Last edited:

dann

Reaction score
Never heard of people not wanting to chop worms. Surely it's no worse that drowning them and feeding them to fish?

B

binka

I know you have mentioned worms in the past. I have a compost bif full of them but I am not overly keen on chopping them up - I wonder if I am alone on this as most anglers just get on a chop them up...

It's a standard joke between myself and a mate Ralph.

I love worm fishing and it's by far my favourite, as I write I have a kilo all ready to go for a gravel pit session tomorrow but I have to say that the chop scissors aren't used without a heavy conscience.

Not saying that two rights make a wrong but it's the rule carved in stone to let a handful go before fishing and always release what's left after a session rather than save them for another.

I guess I'm playing Himmler and Schindler at the same time :eek:mg: