Mild weather

seth49

Reaction score
Well its fourteen degrees centigrade here in Lancashire this morning.
Really warm for December, I have just noticed my koi have lifted of the bottom of the pond and are cruising around just subsurface.

If I wasn't busy today I think I would be fishing. I like to see my fish active in winter, seem to do allright when they are stirring, instead of just sulking on the bottom.

thecrow

Reaction score
Food put out for garden birds that in a normal winter doesn't last long is being left uneaten, on Wednesday I was waiting in the car park for the wife (its beneath the shop) and there was a pigeon sitting on a nest that had been built on some electrical trunking.

Saving lots of money on heating which I suppose will be the cause of a price increase so that energy companies can recoup their usual winter windfall.

wanderer

Reaction score
Just shows how wrong long range weather can be, the beast from the East and the coldest winter for 50 years, yeah right guys, better hang up some seaweed, its more reliable.

dannyboy1

Reaction score
I have personally never know it this mild this time of the yead, I'm 36 has any of the older members known this in the past?

Sent from my HP 8 G2 using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have personally never know it this mild this time of the yead, I'm 36 has any of the older members known this in the past?

Not me. just been out and it was almost like summer, the sun was out and it must have been near 60f. I wonder if this goes on long enough any fish might be fooled into spawning. I shouldn't think so, they wouldn't have spawn in them would they, i don't know but theres spring flowers and bees about..Great not to be freezing though. Someone told me Australia is having a cooler summer than usual, I don't know if that's true but its all a bit odd.

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score

In a word

NO

I do remember 1963 very well, and i was only 5 at the time. Still one of the worst winters on record.

I have just got back in, it is so mild, light wind, perfect fishing weather, but i am at the O2 tonight. In the west End first. The problem i have is this.

Do i take a coat for later tonight ???? I think not, just a light jacket will do me.

Only a couple of weeks ago, i was driving at 20 MPH up the A1 in a snow Blizzard, I thought, Great a proper winter as we used to have, Wrong.

One thing for sure, we don't get the season's as we used to when i was a kid.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You and me both Ray, pretty much everyone walked to school in those days, snow was up to my waist, strangely schools stayed open then :confused:;):wh

My school didn't, we had around 4 weeks off as the heating broke down.

I remember snow drifts of several feet.

The local lake to me was almost wiped out, i clearly remember fish frozen in the ice, and it had nothing to do with Birds Eye.;)

flightliner

Reaction score
'63 i was in the peak district on an outward bound fortnight, map n compass hikes, potholing, canoeing (dont tell Binka) on a partly iced up river Derwent, night walks till dawn , abseiling/ rock climbing on stannage edge ( one section of the average sixty foot outcrop of millstone wass so deep with windblown snowdrift we were jumping off the top and sliding down with an iceaxe).A final ascent onto kinderscout via losehill/edale/golden clough was the iceing on a cake ( pun intended)
All in sub zero temperatures that didnt seem to bother anyone. A great unforgettable experience for sure.
The following week I was back on a building site working off a scaffold--- ruddy cold then I can tell you.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
Yer own garden barometer, ehh? :)

I read of a bloke who'd chuck a few maggots at the fish in his pond before a fishing trip; the level they took the bait at gave him a good idea how the fish would react wherever he was going. It's supposed to be infallible, but I reckon the landlord wouldn't be too chuffed if a ruddy big pond appeared in our red-gravelled front garden. Maybe a little one on my allotment....:D

seth49

Reaction score
Heating at school, all we had was a big pot bellied stove that used Coke for fuel.

It was my job to keep it fuelled up, the last two years I was in junior school.

Remember 63 winter well. We were snowed in on the farm for about twelve weeks.
It snowed on Christmas Day, and then it just froze, for weeks on end.
There were still snow drifts on Pendle hill at whitsuntide.
School never shut though, kept open throughout.
Most days the water pipes were frozen, so we had no water till we managed to thaw them out.
The river hodder nr us was frozen over, you could walk across it.
On the estate lake at browsholme hall, the ice was that thick one of the farmers sons, was driving a tractor on it.
One of the worst things though, was all the dead birds we found towards the end of it.
They seemed to freeze to death overnight.
Wild life really struggled that winter.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Deffo strange weather the last few years or so fe years back it rained solid for about 3 months

sumtime

Reaction score
'63 winter? I crossed the Mersey to Seacombe every morning, I was 15yrs of age doing all kinds of roof work and pointing the outside walls, tiles stuck to my fingers.

Loved the ice flows in the river as the ferry made it's way to Seacombe. Football in the street? all of us would bring our coal shovels out, loved every minute. :)

naxian62

Reaction score
I was born in the '62-'63 Winter, my little old Ma says that's why I'm never cold.
And, I was thinking the other day, is right to be out deadbaiting in 15 degrees !