What line cutter ?

Philip

Reaction score
Hello everyone, small but important tackle item that I have never really been totally satisfied with. I am looking for a new tool to cut line/braid with.

I prefer snips/clippers rather than scissors if possible. Its got to be very small & very light to attach to a zinger, good grip for when its wet and most of all of course its got to cut ! ...both line and braid. If they float as well that would be cherry on the cake.

I have used all sorts down the years and nothing really has been perfect including a very expensive set of Orvis clips that was supposed to be the bees knees but were useless.

Any suggestions ? ...thanks !

sumtime

Reaction score
I have the Leeda Profil cutters, picks out knots, helps tie knots and cuts mono, haven't tried it on braid tho'.

Just tried cutting 80lb braid, no good.

Last edited:

jasonbean1

Reaction score
It's simple you buy small quality scissors and chuck them in the river when they blunt then start again...... Normally every 3 months for me:confused:

B

binka

I have a pair of Hardy snips and they're great. Much better than the Orvis ones IMO. They don't float though.

Ditto... Another pair of Hardy snips here and they're beside my scissors on a zinger, very good but I've never tried 'em on braid.

Philip

Reaction score
I have the Leeda Profil cutters, picks out knots, helps tie knots and cuts mono, haven't tried it on braid tho'.

Just tried cutting 80lb braid, no good.

That does seem to be my findings with most clippers ...they are fine for Mono but dont work so well with Braid.

Maybe one of you fellas with the Hardy snips could try them on a bit of braid when you get a moment and let us know ?

B

binka

That does seem to be my findings with most clippers ...they are fine for Mono but dont work so well with Braid.

Maybe one of you fellas with the Hardy snips could try them on a bit of braid when you get a moment and let us know ?

Just done it for you Philip and paid the price for trying to be helpful, pulled out me zinger and it snapped!

Binka'd!!

You couldn't make it up :eek:mg:

They cut 9kg Power Pro braid absolutely fine :)

Philip

Reaction score
Just done it for you Philip and paid the price for trying to be helpful, pulled out me zinger and it snapped!

Binka'd!!

You couldn't make it up :eek:mg:

They cut 9kg Power Pro braid absolutely fine :)

Binka thanks mate ! .....sorry about the Zinger ...but I had to laugh ...if it helps the tackle for £1 web site someone posted on the Tackle bargin thread has a zinger..I ordered one myself as I keep snapping them too...for 1 quid I am not expecting too much but you never know.

Ok Hardy snips it is then ! Thanks guys:)

B

binka

To be fair I've had the Hardy one for about three years and I usually fish a few times a week so I guess it doesn't owe me anything, I reckon the pound a go option will be just as good and worth getting a few in for the equivalent price.

Morespiders

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hardy snips and they're great. Much better than the Orvis ones IMO. They don't float though.
Glue them into a piece of 4x4 on a rope

---------- Post added at 00:10 ---------- Previous post was at 00:04 ----------

Hello everyone, small but important tackle item that I have never really been totally satisfied with. I am looking for a new tool to cut line/braid with.

I prefer snips/clippers rather than scissors if possible. Its got to be very small & very light to attach to a zinger, good grip for when its wet and most of all of course its got to cut ! ...both line and braid. If they float as well that would be cherry on the cake.

I have used all sorts down the years and nothing really has been perfect including a very expensive set of Orvis clips that was supposed to be the bees knees but were useless.

Any suggestions ? ...thanks !
t

Snips, snips,!! Your worried about snips. What about Martins carp ?

wanderer

Reaction score
You need proper braid scissors, otherwise it splays and you cannot get it through the hook eye, Korda.

robtherake

Reaction score
I've used Korda and Nash braid blades and they're fine at first for cutting braid, but the sharpness doesn't last and I really am pants at sharpening them. If the cut isn't clean it's impossible to tie a knotless knot.

bullet

Reaction score
You can always singe the end then smooth if your snips aren't that great. Obviously you will need a lighter or matches which you probably won't have with you if you don't smoke...![

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I ended up buying the Owner Braid Scissors and they are excellent; they have kept a keen edge for several seasons use.

I am not sure if they are still available but I was so pleased with mine that the next season I bought 2 more pairs for different bags/boxes.

Cannot praise them highly enough . . . .

sagalout

Reaction score
pulled out me zinger and it snapped
Bet that made your eyes water!

I use cheap small nail clippers for mono and Guru scissors for braid. I bought a pair of owner braid scissors because the rich so and so's on here said they where the best but I am to frightened to take them onto the bank!

Going cheap, one pair of owner braid scissors, carefully stored in me hook tying box at home in their original neoprene sheath!