"pulling for a break"

robertroach

Reaction score
I have heard this phrase used a couple of times recently on FM.
If it means what I think it means I don't like the idea at all. Why would you want to pull a hook so hard into a fishes mouth that the line breaks, potentially causing damage? And why would you want to leave a fish swimming around with hook and line trailing from its mouth?
The only exception I can think of is if a fish goes deep into a weedbed and stays there and there's no chance of pulling it out.

thecrow

Reaction score
I have heard this phrase used a couple of times recently on FM.
If it means what I think it means I don't like the idea at all. Why would you want to pull a hook so hard into a fishes mouth that the line breaks, potentially causing damage? And why would you want to leave a fish swimming around with hook and line trailing from its mouth?
The only exception I can think of is if a fish goes deep into a weedbed and stays there and there's no chance of pulling it out.

Robert, pulling for a break has nothing to do with pulling a hook into a fishes mouth so that it breaks, that would be just plain daft.

Its to do with situations when your terminal tackle has become stuck fast in some unseen snag in the water or a fish has run you into a snag the latter though should not happen as suitable tackle and methods should be used if fishing near snags, in this type of situation when the terminal tackle cannot be retrieved an angler will pull for a break by pointing the rod at the snag and pulling until the line breaks in order to leave as little line as possible in the water.

There are things that an angler can do to minimise the chances of having to pull for a break, if fishing near to snags always use rod and line strong enough to keep the fish out of the snag ( sometimes called hit and hold ) never use a baitrunner near snags and never ever leave the rod alone for any reason.

If you are a stranger to a swim and are unsure if there may be snags in it or not it is always worthwhile casting a lead around in the swim to find any snags that may be present, it may spook any fish present for a while but remember that the welfare of the fish comes first not the angler catching fish.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Sometimes if I hook a carp or pike on very fine hooklinks to tiny hook and knowing I have little chance of landing it I'd rather snap the hooklink at the loop to loop knot than potentially losing a long length of stronger main line as the fish bolts for the snags, possibly tethering itself in the process.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No one in their right mind is going to deliberately "pull for a break" unless they really have to. No one in their right mind wants to leave a hook/line in a fish. However, it's better to leave a hook and bit of line trailing than to forcibly rip it out or leave a fish tethered.

The reality is that it's going to happen to every angler out there sooner or later. To suggest otherwise is complete rubbish. Inexplicable line breaks happen and fish have the uncanny ability to find unseen snags. In many instances of pulling for a break happening, the fish is either long gone or any pulling done will not be direct to the fish. Some form of snag or obstacle will be involved. Pulling for a break isn't done for a laugh, it's the stuff of last resort.

robertroach

Reaction score
OK, thanks for replies, it's a bit clearer to me now! I thought it was something to do with not wanting to prolong a battle with a big fish.
Robert

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I have caught quite a few fish ( mostly carp ) with small lengths of line and a tiny hook the fish usually seems none the worse for wear and the hooks are easily removed.

Fishing straight through has always puzzled me why not have your hooklink much lighter than your main so that you can pull for a break if needed ?

sam vimes

Reaction score
OK, thanks for replies, it's a bit clearer to me now! I thought it was something to do with not wanting to prolong a battle with a big fish.
Robert

Robert,
there are just two occasions that I've heard of such a thing. The first would be a matchman that's hooked a whopper on a light line and believes that he's going to get smashed up anyway. The second is anyone that's hooked a whopper and is close to being spooled.

I can't really defend the former, but I can understand why a matchman might do it. The latter has happened to me. Far better to have a hooklength break than leave a fish trailing a float and yards of line. Sometimes you just don't have any other options left. I doubt that there are many folks on this forum that may be talking about the former if they mention "pulling for a break".

In both instances, the individuals concerned would still consider it to be a last resort option. Personally, I'm always gutted if I am forced into pulling for a break, even if there is no fish involved. Ideally, I don't ever want to lose any end tackle.

wanderer

Reaction score
The weak hooklink is a neccessity as far as i am concerned, and when snag fishing so is using barbless hooks, braid is also a big plus, one locked up rod at right angles to the snag and undivided attention, if in doubt about your chances, dont do it.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
No self respecting match angler would pull for a break because they think they'll get smashed anyway, after all that fish could well win the match and there's many an occasion a light line has tamed something huge.

The only time would be out of etiquette to the guy in the next peg as it would be bad form to let any fish plough through his swim.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Fishing straight through has always puzzled me why not have your hooklink much lighter than your main so that you can pull for a break if needed ?

Thats one i can never make out with many Carp anglers. 12 or 15lb main line, 20 or 30lb Braided hook link, WHY ??